Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 9th, 2014, 12:57 PM
TELOS
Nate
LHD 110 SW - 300Tdi

Swiss Registration, temporary import

Hi, everyone

I must confess, I was browsing another forum this morning (Expedition Portal) and stumbled upon this comment about G-Wagons, specifically the Entdecker (I know that sentence is probably a slew of expletives on a Defender forum, but hear me out...)

"chatted with them a while back, and they provide a Swiss registration, you have to leave the US once/year- not to Switz, just Canada or Mexico, then return for another year. The guys send annual renewals from Switz. Don't quote me, but that is how I remember it, and actually no biggie and conorms to 'the rules'. No law precludes vehicle ownership abroad- just gotta take a trip once/yr, or have someone else do it."

I have never heard of this, and the search feature on this forum didn't lead me to any discussions about this. Has this topic been discussed?

I ask because my family is Swiss, and my wife and I will actually be in Switzerland next spring visiting family. We are both US citizens, but might be interested in buying a Defender while we are in Switzerland. Any idea on the rules associated with bringing a Swiss-registered Defender (something quite new) over temporarily? I have always thought the truck needed to head back to Switzerland once the temporary time is up, but does a simple "expedition" to Canada or Mexico reset the clock, if you will?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 9th, 2014, 01:00 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
It's a sticky in the for sale vehicles section - it would do some good for you to read through it based on some of the other vehicles you've posted here recently that you've been interested in.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=13713
Old July 9th, 2014, 01:31 PM
TELOS
Nate
LHD 110 SW - 300Tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
It's a sticky in the for sale vehicles section - it would do some good for you to read through it based on some of the other vehicles you've posted here recently that you've been interested in. http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=13713
I have read through that, and just looked through all 25 pages of that sticky again. Unless my eyes glazed over, I don't think that addresses the question I have. If you have a Swiss Defender, with Swiss registration, title, and plates... Driving it in the US sort of as a "non-national exemption", does returning to Switzerland reset the clock, or simply leaving US soil?

I thought I remember seeing a post of a couple driving their newer Defender around the world and a discussion about the legalities and their time limit on US soil, but I don't know where to look to get smart on those specific rules and laws.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 9th, 2014, 01:35 PM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

Just exit US soil- they cannot dictate destination, hence the 'exit' requirement. And yes, a ferry trip to Nova Scotia, lunch in Montreal, or an evening in Tijuana fits the bill.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 9th, 2014, 01:37 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
It doesn't matter if you have a Swiss, Japanese, Chinese, or Russian Defender, the rules are all still the same.
Old July 9th, 2014, 01:52 PM
SmokedFish
Lucas
94 D90 #63

I'm curious, does anyone on this board care to admit to using this exemption? I'd like to hear how it works out for them.
Old July 9th, 2014, 01:57 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

From my understanding of the rules this is associated with entry on your non-US passport. It is for non-US citizens that are traveling around or through the US. We looked into this to have a newer 110 around for a while, as my wife is British, but couldn't make it work with insurance and all. It was all going to have to be done on her British passport, I could not do it (as I have a US passport).

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...r-personal-use

"Can I bring my car into the U.S. temporarily?

Nonresidents/visitors may import a vehicle duty-free for personal use up to (1) one year if the vehicle is imported in conjunction with the owner?s arrival. Vehicles imported under this provision that do not conform to U.S. safety and emission standards must be exported within one year and may not be sold in the U.S. There is no exemption or extension of the export requirements."

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old July 10th, 2014, 07:40 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR View Post
From my understanding of the rules this is associated with entry on your non-US passport. It is for non-US citizens that are traveling around or through the US. We looked into this to have a newer 110 around for a while, as my wife is British, but couldn't make it work with insurance and all. It was all going to have to be done on her British passport, I could not do it (as I have a US passport). https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...r-personal-use "Can I bring my car into the U.S. temporarily? Nonresidents/visitors may import a vehicle duty-free for personal use up to (1) one year if the vehicle is imported in conjunction with the owner?s arrival. Vehicles imported under this provision that do not conform to U.S. safety and emission standards must be exported within one year and may not be sold in the U.S. There is no exemption or extension of the export requirements."
Reading this you also could not be a US resident ie you couldn't have a green card ... So even though I have a UK passport I am a US resident so I'm excluded.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old July 10th, 2014, 08:10 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
Reading this you also could not be a US resident ie you couldn't have a green card ... So even though I have a UK passport I am a US resident so I'm excluded.
So the people coming in from our southern borders can have a new Defender. Nothing like food stamps, free health care, and a Defender
Old July 10th, 2014, 09:18 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
So the people coming in from our southern borders can have a new Defender. Nothing like food stamps, free health care, and a Defender
I'm more worried about the northern border ...
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old July 10th, 2014, 10:48 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokedFish View Post
I'm curious, does anyone on this board care to admit to using this exemption? I'd like to hear how it works out for them.
Sure I'll admit to having used it for a client in a "situation" but that's it.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat