Swingset recommendations? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 30th, 2015, 07:16 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Swingset recommendations?

My lil guy is about to turn 1, we're thinking of getting him (and his 3 year old sister) a swingset. I could just go to a big box store (walmart and Home Depot has some, but I know nothing about them). I'm not looking to get a custom made, Amish, Artisanal, reclaimed barnwood one. Actually I am, that all sounds great, but I don't have the funds for that. I also didn't really like the $275 Walmart one I saw on their site, it just seems to cheap...

I figured a lot of you have gone through exactly this and might be able to point me to a happy medium of quality and cost. I'm looking to spend between $500-$700 at my door.

Go!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 30th, 2015, 07:21 PM
LostChord
Brian
86 D110 SW

Registry
You'd be surprised how close you can get to that on your budget by designing your own play set, buying the lumber and hardware, and putting it together with some friends! It's the slides and tunnels that add up quickly though...
Old May 30th, 2015, 07:37 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Take them to a McDonalds with a play scape for the cost of a Happy Meal.

Nope. I don't have kids. My daughter is 26.
Advertisement

Old May 30th, 2015, 07:38 PM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

We got a nice one at Costco a few years ago. Around $1k, but good quality, and lots of features. And, not a problem with it thus far, as the kids are now 8 & 10.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 30th, 2015, 07:39 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
When I was growing up, we went to the park next to the hospital. Makes it convenient for broken arms after falling off a swing. Lol
Old May 30th, 2015, 07:55 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
You can also go on Craigslist and search locally for those who have maybe recently moved into a house with one in the backyard, or have children who have outgrown them who'll let you have it just for the cost of your time to disassemble and reassemble at your own place (plus the uHaul or Home Depot truck if you have to rent one).

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/s...%20swing%20set
Old May 30th, 2015, 07:59 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
I was just going to say Craigslist.. We found an amazing set that had very little use and cost a fortune new dirt cheap on CL. Guy got relocated and the realtor insisted they get rid of it asap because it made their yard look small.
Old May 30th, 2015, 08:20 PM
josh-man
joshua
82 Land Rover 110 Ex MOD

Registry
The brand to look for is Rainbow. Top quality and you can find them used on craigslist often. They are Cedar and use galvy hardware and probably the best quality (read: safest) sets IMO. A used Rainbow is worth it compared to a new one that will last you a few years before its rusted or needs to be stripped and painted or stained again.
Old May 30th, 2015, 08:47 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

bought a cheap toys are us set for $400 when the kids were old enough. When they outgrew it, had no problem cutting up the wood for trash and taking the swing/slide to the local swap shop. Neighbors are still stuck with their custom $10k unit.

Go cheap.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old May 30th, 2015, 09:57 PM
whitelandy33
Pecos
hyundai

We did costco years ago. Bought $1000. Sold it on craigslist for $1200 years later.
Old May 30th, 2015, 11:11 PM
myoverlandrover
josh

My wife and kids dream of these Maine made sets. We stop by every time were in the area as they have 10-20 sets outside to try.

http://www.cedarworks.com
Old May 31st, 2015, 02:12 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh-man View Post
The brand to look for is Rainbow. Top quality and you can find them used on craigslist often. They are Cedar and use galvy hardware and probably the best quality (read: safest) sets IMO.
Yup. The CL link I gave was for rainbow (figured they were assumed!). The designs are easy enough to replicate with a little extra work (as someone else said), especially if you can source the right materials and already have the tools to complete the job.
Old May 31st, 2015, 09:11 AM
Chuckwagon
Chuck
96 Disco XD Eco Challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post

Yup. The CL link I gave was for rainbow (figured they were assumed!). The designs are easy enough to replicate with a little extra work (as someone else said), especially if you can source the right materials and already have the tools to complete the job.
I pick up a nice Rainbow playset for about a quarter of the new price. Easily replicated and stained a few boards that were slightly rotted or not to my liking with a few minor tools and cedar from Home Depot.
Old May 31st, 2015, 10:04 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstrubl View Post
My lil guy is about to turn 1, we're thinking of getting him (and his 3 year old sister) a swingset. I could just go to a big box store (walmart and Home Depot has some, but I know nothing about them). I'm not looking to get a custom made, Amish, Artisanal, reclaimed barnwood one. Actually I am, that all sounds great, but I don't have the funds for that. I also didn't really like the $275 Walmart one I saw on their site, it just seems to cheap...

I figured a lot of you have gone through exactly this and might be able to point me to a happy medium of quality and cost. I'm looking to spend between $500-$700 at my door.

Go!

Are you looking for them to move out? This shit is bigger than my old condo.

Anywhoo... We looked at the one at Costco for the neighbohood and it looked well made.

http://www.costco.com/Yardline-Play-...100168405.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old May 31st, 2015, 10:15 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Make him a sandbox. It'll be a little while before he can get any use out of a swing set. Using his hands and imagination is important. Buying him something that will take years to grow into increases the chance he'll be bored to death with it by the time he can reach the monkey bars.

Old May 31st, 2015, 10:32 AM
kimberly
kimberly
1957 LR S1 88"

Registry
family project suggestion: start with one quality piece and every year add a new feature. adapt for your kids interests and age. i think the most important point is interaction as a family.
Old June 1st, 2015, 04:27 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
Make him a sandbox. It'll be a little while before he can get any use out of a swing set. Using his hands and imagination is important. Buying him something that will take years to grow into increases the chance he'll be bored to death with it by the time he can reach the monkey bars.
I do get your suggestion but the swingset is for his 3 year old sister too. We go to the swings over at a park nearby very often, but it required driving. The thinking of this is, we can just pop out back and wifey and I can have a few beers. Also, I hate sandboxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberly View Post
family project suggestion: start with one quality piece and every year add a new feature. adapt for your kids interests and age. i think the most important point is interaction as a family.
I like this idea, but how modular do pre-made swingsets tend to be?
Old June 1st, 2015, 05:36 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

My father made one out of galvanized plumbing pipe for me and my sister. To say it was sturdy was an understatement. Also, you can practice welding.
Old June 1st, 2015, 07:07 PM
kimberly
kimberly
1957 LR S1 88"

Registry
i don't know anything about modulars but maybe something like: http://homefixated.com/how-to-build-...und-for-cheap/

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
wing