Swing away/lowering tire carrier--overkill? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 14th, 2009, 09:21 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Swing away/lowering tire carrier--overkill?

So after months of frustrated searching for a swing away tire carrier for my rebuild, I came across this. I am pretty sure you guys have seen it but I am wondering if anyone has actually fitted one to a Land Rover? It's a tire carrier off a military HMMWV. It's built to swing away and lower/raise the tire. Those humvee tires are pretty heavy! It mounts directly to the bumper so nothing is hanging off the body. Very sturdy, heavy duty with lots of grease fittings. Only problem is it may be a bit too wide. The distance from the center of the spare mount to the swivel is 30 inches. Will not open with the door but for the price and availability of the Mantec one, I'll take the extra 5 secs to open the carrier first. What do you guys think? Any ideas? Pros/Cons? Hopefully more Pros than Cons, just made an impulse buy a few days ago. Paid $300. Seemed reasonable compared to everything else that is currently available here in the US.

Would most likely have to redrill the carrier to fit our rims.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HMMWV...#ht_500wt_1182
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	109-0997_IMG.JPG
Views:	256
Size:	291.5 KB
ID:	22968   Click image for larger version

Name:	109-0998_IMG.JPG
Views:	255
Size:	271.6 KB
ID:	22969  

Name:	109-0999_IMG.JPG
Views:	236
Size:	322.3 KB
ID:	22970   Click image for larger version

Name:	109-1000_IMG.JPG
Views:	284
Size:	296.0 KB
ID:	22971  

Name:	MASTC3.jpg
Views:	634
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	22972   Click image for larger version

Name:	MASTC4.jpg
Views:	659
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	22973  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 15th, 2009, 03:54 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Its a single point pivot. There is nothing better here than any other tire carrier. Other than the lowering feature but seriously, what is that worth. My 40's weight 120lb, how much is a 31in tire? Seems just plain silly to me.

Hope that helps. Enjoy!

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old November 15th, 2009, 07:23 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Hey Buck that does help because I am not too familiar with everything that is available out there. All my research leads to very expensive carriers and they are almost impossible to get here in the US.

Well I am a pretty small guy and although I can lift my tire, why if I don't have to? I know my wife can't do it, or won't do it. Haha. I doubt I will ever use the lowering feature, but it's a nice extra. How often do I change my tire right? Once every few years? There is a locking bracket that it sits on when closed to take the weight off the pivot.

The main problem I am running into is that I cannot find a swing away carrier cheaper than $300 that is as stout as this one. I don't even know if it will fit on the rear crossmember!

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 15th, 2009, 08:47 AM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Keep it simple, fit a Mantec, RN has it.
Old November 15th, 2009, 08:53 AM
zimm
bart
anyone moves..... #238 sold

nothin wrong with this at all. as someone thats had to change a 33in tire after an injury, this would have been a dream.

where did you get it? if you dont want it, PM me.
Old November 15th, 2009, 10:35 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFD
Keep it simple, fit a Mantec, RN has it.
Yeah I know, I saw that but $500 worth of simpleness? I totally agree about the KISS philosphy. Wish I could afford it.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimm
nothin wrong with this at all. as someone thats had to change a 33in tire after an injury, this would have been a dream.

where did you get it? if you dont want it, PM me.
I got it on ebay for $300. I think I saw one from the same seller yesterday. I am sure he has more. I think he's a military surplus dealer. You can get a refurbished one for $750

Old November 15th, 2009, 11:30 AM
FlaD90
Tom
1994 ST D90
D-90 Source Vendor

I like that setup and totally agree with removing it from the body & door. Please post pictures when you have it installed.
Old November 15th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

I like that .. looks easy to copy..;-) a big spring in a tube would be better than the ratchet, Oh why did i not see this before i made a new wheel carrier.

I also would like to see the pics of it fitted.

regards
Gren
Old November 15th, 2009, 08:24 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Safarirover has one of those Mantec ones for sale.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=22727
Old November 15th, 2009, 08:45 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho
Safarirover has one of those Mantec ones for sale.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=22727

OMG! Stephen why didn't you tell me! When did he post this? Today? He's in my backyard, like less than 20 miles away. In fact he's got my new frame coming in a few days! Damn the Rover Gods!

Old March 1st, 2010, 11:11 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
I don't want to clutter this forum with multiple posts so please go here for a follow up on this carrier. Start with post #122

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...t=21725&page=7

Old March 2nd, 2010, 11:02 AM
oilburner
JL
large pile of parts

The humvee tires and wheels, with the insert and all the runflat stuff must weigh close to 200 lbs if not more. I have the same problem with my 38 XMLs, I can't get them into the truck without blowing out a disc and being on my ass for a few days on HD pharmaceuticals. My take is if you can't lift a 33 inch tire 2 ft off the ground how are you going to crack the lugnuts? Wheeling is tough, eat your Wheaties.
Diesel-swapped 1994 80 series Land-cruiser
And a difflocked 4wd turbodiesel Lambo
Old March 2nd, 2010, 11:17 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilburner View Post
....My take is if you can't lift a 33 inch tire 2 ft off the ground how are you going to crack the lugnuts? Wheeling is tough, eat your Wheaties.
Haha, I totally agree. Try getting a 115lb Asian female to lift anything much less crack a nut! Just kidding. My girl is pretty tough but this would make it easier for her if she ever needs it. I doubt it though, she hates riding in my trucks. It up to high, she can't get in with a mini skirt. I tell her higher heels will help but she's not buying it.

Old March 2nd, 2010, 02:30 PM
Shearpin
Henry Stinson
'73 Series III SWB '84 110 tdi

Funny... the first four photos (silver) are of my brothers Hummer. Where'd you get the tire carrier - American Hummer?

For what it's worth this tire carrier is seriously overbuilt. My brother ran the factory arrangement for some time with rattling and cracking issues. The Hummer tire/wheel combination is heavy as hell. This latest design is rattle free....

Henry
www.4x4freedom.com
Old March 5th, 2010, 02:04 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Snap! Really? Does he mind? Found them on the internet. Let me know and I'll ask the admin to delete them. Thanks

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
carrier, tire, tire carrier, wing