Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 19th, 2015, 12:52 AM
WBSurfer
Chris
1995 RRC

Registry
Swapping a bulkhead to TDCI bulkhead

Honestly not sure if this question warrants much discussion or not and may be a fairly simple question but here goes:

This sort of bounces back to my other post about ideas on updated or different dashes. If I like the TDCI dash assembly and wanted to go that route, and I located a complete TDCI bulkhead with dash, wiring harness, etc.... would the swap for my standard bulkhead on my defender be relatively straight forward of a swap assuming all the components are there with the TDCI bulkhead? I'm not assuming an easy plug and play swap but really looking for insight on any complications that may arise with this swap, things I need to consider if I go this route, and/or parts that I need to make sure are part of and included with the complete TDCI bulkhead in order to make the swap work.

Thanks for the feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 19th, 2015, 02:24 AM
Macker
Mack Crouch
1988 110 LS 5.3

Registry
What engine do you plan to use?
Old September 19th, 2015, 07:56 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Sounds like a real fun challenge if that's your thing. ECR does it so we know it's not impossible when the right amount of time and $ is thrown at the cause.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 19th, 2015, 08:19 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
best thing to do is pull a chip or a galpin and do it first.

The real issue, I suspect, is that you'd be the first person ever to do it and document it.
Old September 19th, 2015, 08:58 AM
WBSurfer
Chris
1995 RRC

Registry
Interesting few comments so far. Wondering why this swap hasn't been done more often and what makes it so challenging. I'm not opposed to the challenge but I'd like to know what you guys think specifically are the problems, challenges, upsides, etc of the task.
Old September 19th, 2015, 09:06 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Engine-side mounting points, no bulkhead vents, totally different gauges and gauge-clusters, etc., etc., etc. Let us know how it goes.

If you google it there are a few side-by-side photos that show many of the differences. I suggest you look around a bit. It's already been done a few times, but the trucks were over $100k builds so have fun!
Old September 19th, 2015, 09:11 AM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

If I had to guess at the challenges surrounding this swap the main hurdle would be that all the data for the instrumentation, HVAC, Hazard switch and so on runs through an ECU, of some sort. I'm on my iPad so I can't Google if the TDCi is on some kind of CAN Bus or something (if I minimize this page it disappears screw you iPad mini). But if it does have a fancy schmancy data bus and you don't have the corresponding engine and everything that supplies data to it then it's not going to work.

I'm not saying you don't already know that but I don't think that you will be able to look at a wiring diagram and isolate a single wire that performs a single task and route it to a single component and expect it to work. If you a running a 200tdi for instance and you want the Speedometer to work on your Puma dash I suspect that you will end up not only modifying the speedometer's board to be able to physically connect it to the drivetrain but also consider that the information coming from the speed sensor has to be converted into a signal appropriately tuned (volts, frequency...?) that the speedometer will be able to process. Repeat for wipers, signals, warning lights... I suppose you can try to keep the facade of all the digital components and hide analoge parts behind them but that would be an inelegant solution.

That's part of my guess. Good luck, take lots of pictures.
Old September 19th, 2015, 09:12 AM
Talleyrand
John
1998 Defender 110 CSW 300Tdi

Registry
Well, for starters (literally too) I can imagine that getting the dash loom to mate with your truck's loom and have everything work acceptably would be a tough slog. Also, as written up elsewhere here on D90, the Tdci dash intrudes farther into the cabin, by quite a lot, requiring mods to the existing gear shift lever. And then there is the issue of modding the shape of the transmission tunnel to meet the bulkhead, or vice versa.
Old September 19th, 2015, 09:19 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Wiring harness is canbus.

Floors and tunnel will need to be custom made to work with which ever engine. There are several forum members who have done this. ECR and Safari HP have also both done them. If you aren't going to run the getrag 6 speed or an automaitic the shifter will present another set of problems as it will hit the dash dash

Anything can be done, its a defender.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old September 19th, 2015, 12:59 PM
WBSurfer
Chris
1995 RRC

Registry
Hmmm.....not liking the reduction in space that the dash will create. I hadn't thought about that. There's already somewhat limited space as is, last thing I need is less space up there.

What about TD5 dash set up? A bit different than the usual set up (not much) and easier of of transition? Any upside of making that change?
Old September 19th, 2015, 01:30 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WBSurfer View Post
Hmmm.....not liking the reduction in space that the dash will create. I hadn't thought about that. There's already somewhat limited space as is, last thing I need is less space up there. What about TD5 dash set up? A bit different than the usual set up (not much) and easier of of transition? Any upside of making that change?
Omg td5 will be sooooooo much easier.

It's almost like you started this thread.

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=78304
Old September 19th, 2015, 01:56 PM
lordhelemt
Paul
1995 D90 #2620 & NAS 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBSurfer View Post
Hmmm.....not liking the reduction in space that the dash will create. I hadn't thought about that. There's already somewhat limited space as is, last thing I need is less space up there. What about TD5 dash set up? A bit different than the usual set up (not much) and easier of of transition? Any upside of making that change?

LHD Td5 components are much more expensive than puma. That aside the conversion is pretty simple. I should have the wiring notes somewhere from my build, just need to find them. Let me know if you need them.
RIP 1994 D90 #999 (engine fire 2002). We'll miss you.
Old September 19th, 2015, 02:01 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
doesn't the TDCI dash have to be run with the TDCI specific MT or some kind of auto? I thought the MT shifter was located directly to the left of the tcase switch via remote. maybe an MT82.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mt82.jpg
Views:	525
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	130111  
Old September 19th, 2015, 07:06 PM
Talleyrand
John

Registry
Yep, Td5 dash much easier to do but as noted the LHD parts are becoming hard to obtain. I converted my dash to Td5 when the dash first came out, in 2001-2, and even then it was about $1000 for all the bits, not including the instrument binnacle. But at least there are ready made wiring solutions to mate the dash to the Tdi era loom.
Old September 20th, 2015, 12:06 AM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talleyrand View Post
Yep, Td5 dash much easier to do but as noted the LHD parts are becoming hard to obtain. I converted my dash to Td5 when the dash first came out, in 2001-2, and even then it was about $1000 for all the bits, not including the instrument binnacle. But at least there are ready made wiring solutions to mate the dash to the Tdi era loom.
But what were you able to sell your stock dash for? I'm assuming the tdci dash doesn't retail for much because it's only applicable (easily) to a few years with relatively low demand since those trucks are so new and don't need replacement, while td5 are more versatile.
Old September 20th, 2015, 12:21 AM
WBSurfer
Chris
1995 RRC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordhelemt View Post
LHD Td5 components are much more expensive than puma. That aside the conversion is pretty simple. I should have the wiring notes somewhere from my build, just need to find them. Let me know if you need them.
I should note, it I didn't already, that I'm keeping it RHD regardless. Probably unlike many others, I don't really care for my Defenders to be LHD. I used to think all I wanted was my trucks to be LHD but have since changed my tune. I actually enjoy driving them as RHD vehicles and on the build side of things it generally keeps my costs lower. It's looking more and more like I'll end up using a TD5 dash set up but am interested to see how some standard dashes have been updated or, upgraded, I should say to incorporate some other features. Not exactly sure what I want to add or even do at this point but trying to brainstorm ideas based on some of ya'lls dash set ups.

If the TDCI wasn't such a fucking nightmare to change out and convert then I'd be going that route for sure. But just after a day of feedback in this thread, it ain't happening! I'll make due another way and it will still be frigging awesome! So basically ......suck it TDCI....go fuck yourself!....lol
Old September 20th, 2015, 06:07 AM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

I'm going for "ambient lighting", footwell lighting or whatever it's called. It's super dark inside my truck at night. It's creepy. I was thinking running a second dimmer switch (YUK 100290) to control it all.
Old September 20th, 2015, 06:17 PM
Talleyrand
John

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
But what were you able to sell your stock dash for? I'm assuming the tdci dash doesn't retail for much because it's only applicable (easily) to a few years with relatively low demand since those trucks are so new and don't need replacement, while td5 are more versatile.
I never sold it. Foley SV did the swap as part of the build of my 110 and they just took in my old dash bits into their used stock. Am sure you are right about the relative demand and how that impacts prices on the used market.

Chris, RHD dash parts for TD5 come up regularly on ebay UK, sometimes whole dash assemblies. Maybe try calling Equicar in the UK, as they may have a wrecked Td5 in hand with a good dash.
Old September 20th, 2015, 07:13 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
So...here's another question...what is the difference between a td5 and earlier dashes? They look almost identical to me.
Old September 20th, 2015, 07:18 PM
Talleyrand
John

Registry
Personally I like the updated look of the Td5. But the main advantages are the central binnacle that can allow for a radio and CB installed level. The warning/signal lights are lit differently in the instrument cluster and are much more visible in daylight. The gauges are VDO and so better than the bouncy needle ones that came before.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat