Suspension Suggestions ? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old June 17th, 2004, 09:38 AM
rcmorgan540
Casey Morgan

Suspension Suggestions ?

I am looking to upgrade my suspension. I am looking for some advice. I am considering getting the SG Stage II B. This kit has OME Springs , Bilstein Shocks , Bump Stops , and Rear drop kit. The drop kit does require for the sway bar to be pulled. Will there be a big difference without the sway bar? However, the kit is $840 . The purpose of this kit is to clear a 285/75/16 MT to enhace the looks as well as gaining a bit of off road performance. I just don't know if there is a better way that could be about the same price or cheaper. I know that nothing at SG is cheap. That is why I wanted to poll the masses. I don't want to spend cash that could be put somewhere else. So ... what do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 17th, 2004, 09:49 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

A regular OME 2" setup will do the same thing minus the drop kit and their bump stops. I run an OME 2" springs and shocks, no sway bars, stock bump stops with 285 BFG MTs. Its a good solid setup. You wont notice the sway bars gone and with the OME, the drop kit is a bit pointless as the rear shocks wont let the back drop enough to use the kit.

Follow-up Post:

Just as a "heads up".. In a bit I will be merging this thread with a few other suspension threads.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old June 17th, 2004, 09:51 AM
rcmorgan540
Casey Morgan

Thanks Chris. That was exactly what I was looking for. Do you think I could get a better ride by uprgading to the Bilstein shocks? Heavy or medium load on the OME's ? I will eventually have an ARB or SG front bumper. What vendors should I check out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 17th, 2004, 10:16 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Quote:
Thanks Chris. That was exactly what I was looking for. Do you think I could get a better ride by uprgading to the Bilstein shocks?
I can not honestly say. I have never riden on Bilsteins so someone else will need to throw in here. I hear the nicer Bilsteins are pretty nice but again, no personal experiance with them.

Quote:
Heavy or medium load on the OME's ? I will eventually have an ARB or SG front bumper.
I have an SG bumper with a Warn 9K winch on mine and at the moment, I run HD spring up front and MD rears.

Quote:
What vendors should I check out?
I bought my OME set up from Expedition Exchange. For one of the most comprehensive OME/Rover guides provided by a vendor, I would recommend you stop by their site and read up on the various OME springs and shocks applications for Rovers. There are a number of Vendors that sell OME and also there are some active vendors here on this forum and I am sure I may not be fully aware of who of them may or may not sell OME product.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old June 17th, 2004, 11:03 AM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

Casey, FWIW, I talked several times with Bill Burke about OME options. After I told him what I was running and what I wanted to do, he talked through some different set-ups (without pushing one thing or another). He's got a link in the Vendor's section, I think. I believe Chris is right in that for that little lift, you may not need the SG setup. EE also has some great info on their site that I couldn't find elsewhere and I used it alot.
Old June 17th, 2004, 01:16 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Well I've got +2" springs all round with +2" shocks at the front and +1" shocks at the rear but with the top shock mounts at the rear lowered 2" using the Scorpion Racing lowering mounts. It's a splendid set up and I get to places that I wouldn't have managed before. Oh and the rear radius arms are kinked and reinforced too. All this got me about 24" height differencebetween opposite wheels with 4" compression still left on the spring. It didn't cost loads. The shocks are Decarbons.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	twisted(small).JPG
Views:	143
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	846  
Old June 17th, 2004, 09:28 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

I've got stock bilstiens on my truck. They were great when I had the stock springs on. I went to a 764/751 OME set up with the stock shocks. Its fine on the road but they top out off road. If you go with a slight lift and want the bilstiens get the 10-12" ones.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 18th, 2004, 01:57 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
I'll second that, it's really bad if the shocks top out
Old June 18th, 2004, 10:41 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

The Wifes Disco Has 3" RTE springs, and Bilstein 7100's 14" out back and 12" up front.. It uses all 14 out back with ease and we're working on getting past the 10" mark up front. While the RTE springs got a lot of grief about breaking, the ones we have are very supple and work nicely. The combination is a bit weak in the back (heavy truck) but very nice in the front... I've come to the conclusion that most shocks that aren't performance built really bite!!! I went though 3 sets of RS9000's before I went to the 7100 on my.... Dare I say it? Jeep, the difference was like stepping out of a stock American pickup truck and into a Trophy Truck ready for Baja... The difference IS quite amazing!!! Get the high end quality shocks from who tweaks your fancy and you will be amazed!!
The only experience I've had with OME springs has been that the are too stiff.. If you don't carry big loads alot be wary... The same springs that folks put in their 90's get into fat Disco's and they are too stiff for those..

Just thoughts...

Keith
www.rovertracks.com
Very used to very soft springs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old June 19th, 2004, 12:00 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
long and strechey

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat