Survival packs/car kit - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old June 28th, 2012, 08:27 AM
msggunny
Richard
08 D3, 04 D2, 77 SIII

Survival packs/car kit

Well, since im just a troll with nothing but time on my hands right now. (only because I just retired from the USMC as a survival instructor) I thought I would poll you all to see what all you carry in the following situations:

Vehicle survival kit.
Personal unsupported survival kit.

Based on the interest from a post in the classified section, I thought it would be interesting to see what people carried and why.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 28th, 2012, 09:14 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
It may also be useful if you - as a retired survival instructor - told us what you carry for each.
Old June 28th, 2012, 02:57 PM
Craigd
Craig Dickson
1995 D90 Red Soft top

Registry
The only time I carry a survival pack is when I am bowhunting. In my pack the survival items I carry are:

two small flashlights
Headlight
Compass
GPS
Matches
Lighter
Swiss Fire starter
Poncho
2 MRES
Extra Gloves and hat
small roll of Plastic Sheeting
Map of area
Water
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 28th, 2012, 02:59 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
A bottle of Jack Daniels.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old June 28th, 2012, 03:30 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
I like this idea..works as a sterilising agent..and pain medication..warming agent, hydrating agent, sedative, the bottle can be used as a magnifying glass to start a fire, as a weapon to throw at a bear..once empty of course..bartering tool for a ride to safety..the possibilities are endless, I believe it works to even stop the nagging of the others in your "lost" party........maybe there is a method to this madness...
Old June 28th, 2012, 04:21 PM
msggunny
Richard
08 D3, 04 D2, 77 SIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
That works every time!

------ Follow up post added June 28th, 2012 04:24 PM ------

Ok, so here is a list of what I use. I started to do a "survival 101" write up a few months ago when i was semi motivated so I added it too.

First off let me say this, survival is a state of mind, period. With out the will to survive you can have all the newest, coolest, and best survival equipment and still not make it out of the situation you are in alive. The human will to survive is more about a positive mind-set than anything else. Pessimism, negativity, bad attitude about the situation, and inability to overcome setbacks are the biggest obstacles you will have when it comes to surviving any situation. Think PMA, Positive Mental Attitude, regardless of how bad things get.

Now that i have that out of the way there is something else i need to get out there. I am a Marine Staff Noncommissioned Officer with over 21 years of service in combat arms and a trained Survival Instructor designated by the Navy’s MOS/NEC (Military Occupational Speciality/Navy Enlisted Classification) of 9505. This, however, doesn't mean that i am the know all and be all of survival, i learn new things every time i go out and continue to seek out more information when ever i can. This article, and any others to follow, are meant only to inform you and not to make you an overnight survival expert by any means.

Information on survival in todays age can be readily accessed by the internet and on a plethora of electronic devices as well as paper media. You can access almost every survival manual, “how to” book” and watch instructional videos on how to use survival gear, make shelters, and live in the bush. You can spend hours immersing yourself in an information overload and suddenly think you know more than Les Stroud and Bear Grylls. This should not be in any way considered a substitute for practice with your kit and a familiarity with being outdoors, uncomfortable, hungry and tired. I understand that not everyone has the resources to go out in the woods and spend a couple of days attempting to live in a mock survival situation, however at a minimum you need to have an intimate knowledge of what ever kit you do decide to cary on you, or in your vehicle, and where each item is in the bag/container it is in. I guess what i am trying to say is know your limitations, leave your ego back home, and realize that you know jack shit. Confidence is a key element to your mental state when in a survival situation, however over-confidence and a lack of humility about your abilities will get you, and possibly others, killed.

There are a few different setups I use, each tailored to the situation but all rely on the basic survival principals: Shelter, fire, food, water.

For my summer individual kit I base it, and my winter kit, off what we were required to carry. One thing that I didnt carry regularly but will change is something that is HIGH-VISIBILITY. Everything I have is either camo, black, or coyote brown. Great for combat and evasion but not so great for being found, which is what you want in a survival situation.

Summer kit: (50deg lows at night)
Medium internal frame backpack. I use the SPEAR assault pack.
Minimum of 2 nalgene bottles and 1 metal canteen cup. (for boiling water)
Iodine tabs and iodine taste removal tabs (i need a UV pen!)
Fire making kit:
wind/water proof matches
cotton balls covered in Vaseline.
magnesium block w/flint
United Cutlery UC2632 Magnesium Flint Fire Starter
Large knife, I use a Cold Steel SRK (used for making fire wood and stakes)
Folding knife (for smaller whittling chores and cooking)
Swiss Army Knife
Folding saw
Assorted power-bars/high protein bars.
Fishing kit
550 cord x a butt ton.
2 ponchos
Poncho liner
Extra wool socks
1 set of light poly pro underwear (omitted if I am going to be in HOT climate)
1 set of gore tex outer ware (unless i am already wearing it of course)
A head lamp. (I use an el cheapo Energizer one that uses AA’s and wont make me sad if I loose it)
Compass. A good one.
GPS with 2x extra batteries. (I dont care if it has mapping abilities or not as I should have an updated Topo map, all i need it for is checking my work)
Topo maps of where I will be.
First aid kit with quick clot, tourniquet, anti septic wipes, SAM splint, compression bandages, neosporin, water proof bandaids, gloves, scissors, and some more stuff.
Chem lights
Duct tape

Depending on where I will be will guide my decision as far as comm. I bought a SPOT, the kind that talks to your iPhone, but returned it after I saw it doesnt cover some of the spots in Africa I go to. I may go with the Delorm kind of tracker or something different.

For winter I add the following:
Large SPEAR pack (omit the smaller pack)
Puffy suit.
Heavy poly pro
Extra beanie
Extra glove inserts

Extra wool socks
Small plastic trash can liners (for when your boots get wet)
Snow shoes (if conditions warrant)
Pack snow shovel (if conditions warrant)

(im sure i forgot something)

For vehicle kits I just adjust to the size of the group in my vehicle. Normally its just me, and I usually just bring enough kit to walk out if I need to. Otherwise I will bring more water as my wife doesnt like the taste of iodine purified water.
Old June 28th, 2012, 04:35 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

I'll bet if you made up a few of those they'd sell in a heartbeat. I'd love one for the back of the truck.
Old June 28th, 2012, 05:37 PM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
In each vehicle I have what I consider a first responder bag. I designed it solely as a grab-and-go bag for if I happen to be first on the scene at an accident/shooting/injury. It won't sustain me or anyone else long-term and doesn't have typical survival gear, but I consider it a must have for anyone who never wants to feel 'helpless' because they don't have the tools to help someone or themselves in a medical emergency.

It consists of:

8x Chem lights
1x Pelican flash light
1x Traffic flare
1x combat shears (medic scissors)
100ft 550 cord
3x isreali bandages
1x SAM-E splint
2x combat application tourniquets
1x large torso pressure bandage
25 ft gauze wrap
medical tape
duct tape
Isopropyl alchohol

I have a bag at the house packed with more long term food/water/shelter sustainment and protection... though I've realized lately that in a SHTF scenario I'd be up the creek with a 4 month old in the house now. I'm still war-gaming that one.

------ Follow up post added June 28th, 2012 05:39 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by msggunny View Post
That works every time!

------ Follow up post added June 28th, 2012 04:24 PM ------

For winter I add the following:
Large SPEAR pack (omit the smaller pack)
Puffy suit.
Heavy poly pro
Extra beanie
Extra glove inserts

Extra wool socks
Small plastic trash can liners (for when your boots get wet)
Snow shoes (if conditions warrant)
Pack snow shovel (if conditions warrant)
Finally a good use for all of that outdated winter TA-50 and MOPP gear the Army doesn't want back! It would definitely be better suited packed in a go bag then a crate in my garage. Thanks for sharing your kit contents and experience.

Old June 28th, 2012, 05:41 PM
DMSLongLake
Dave Sherwood
1994 D90 ST

Registry
I carry one of these or similar in each of my kits:

http://www.quikclot.com/QuikClot-Pro...rt™.aspx

Current Rovers:
1994 D-90 ST #734
2006 LR3
2016 RRS

Past Rovers:
1997 Disco I
1988 Range Rover 40th Anniversary
1999 Disco II
1995 D-90 ST #2731
1997 Range Rover 4.6 HSE Vitesse
2003 Range Rover HSE
2008 RRS
2013 RRS
Old June 28th, 2012, 06:56 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMSLongLake View Post
I carry one of these or similar in each of my kits:

http://www.quikclot.com/QuikClot-Products/QuikClot®-Sport™.aspx
Last time I looked in my IFAK we'd pulled the quikclot out of them....seemed to be more damage than good.
Old June 28th, 2012, 07:04 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_G

Last time I looked in my IFAK we'd pulled the quikclot out of them....seemed to be more damage than good.
Yep, but they have a new version that's not so bad. When I was at Recon our SARCs also issued "gunshot" packs - a wad of cotton to jam in the hole and a cocktail of drugs to take afterwards. They actually worked pretty well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old June 29th, 2012, 12:33 AM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

Yeah the new version of the quick clot bandage doesn't burn like hell like the old ones did...so I am told..I'll just take their word for it though...
Old June 29th, 2012, 07:59 AM
msggunny
Richard
08 D3, 04 D2, 77 SIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_G View Post
Never had to use it, thankfully. My Corpsman swear by it though, they attribute it to saving a few lives in the stan and Iraq.

------ Follow up post added June 29th, 2012 08:02 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrooks View Post
I'll bet if you made up a few of those they'd sell in a heartbeat. I'd love one for the back of the truck.
Not a bad idea but I think the cost would be a shocker. I dont pick items based on their cost but on their ability to perform well in adverse conditions.

I could price it and get back to you all, i have a buddy of mine who is PCS'ing to San Diego this weekend who makes packs as well. Might be a good option.
Old June 29th, 2012, 08:03 AM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Quote:
Never had to use it, thankfully. My Corpsman swear by it though, they attribute it to saving a few lives in the stan and Iraq.
Interesting. My corpsman didn't like it at all. Much like Dave's list and what Jonathan was describing we went heavy with pressure bandages and everyone had multiple tourneys.
Old June 29th, 2012, 09:37 AM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Major Bleed control comes down to 5 things:

Tourniquet to stop the blood from getting there in the first place
Quickclot to dump in the wound
Kerlix (a lot of it) to pack the wound
Compression bandage (e.g. Israeli) to keep the pressure on
Urgent evac

This simple formula has saved thousands of lives and is tried and true. Quickclot is the shit... yes it burns but the alternative is dead so I think I will choose some pain. The surgeons may hate you later as they try and clean out the wound, but you will be knocked out anyway.

But in the end Quickclot is only one part of the overall solution, it's not the end all be all of hemostasis.

The first aid kit I give most of my friends is a beefed up IFAK... a tourniquet, lots of different kinds of gauze, some regular band-aids, some tegaderm, etc. mainly treatment for surface wounds that suck, and add in a SAM splint for immobilization.

The bag I always take out is a STOMP II FMF doc bag with all the fixins. But unless you know what you are doing with a lot of that stuff, you can do way more harm than good.
Old June 29th, 2012, 10:53 AM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:

This should not be in any way considered a substitute for practice with your kit and a familiarity with being outdoors, ....
IMHO this is the best advice out there.

I taught Wilderness Navigation courses and WFA - and when asked about preparedness and survival my question was this "If you were driving home and broke down away from help or services, could you camp safely with whatever you have in your car right now?" If the answer was no, there really are only a few things needed to turn that into a yes.

As a long time backpacker the amount of stuff you need to camp safely (note "Safe" not "comfortable") is very small.
Water, shelter, warmth, mobility, food, communication, protection
  • a water supply or treatment tool
  • a tarp, lashing, cutting tool
  • blanketing (anything from sleeping bag to a blanket appropriate to the situation)
  • clothing (appropriate to the situation)
  • FAK - (address at the least bleeding, broken, burned, digestion)
  • calorie supply
  • way to make fire
  • signaling

For the PNW everything to address the above fits into a small day pack left in the car:

Bottle and treatment chemicals (PUR)
Tarp, paracord, small fixed bade knife
wool blanket
boots, socks, boonie hat, raincoat, fleece jacket, scarf
simple FAK
couple MRE entrees and candy bars/granola
matches, lighter, matches, striker, matches
whistle, mirror, flashlight, compass

Thats it for the "survival kit"

Everything else I've got enhances comfort or duration and goes out on planned trips.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ac, kit