Surface Pro 3-- anyone using one? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 3rd, 2015, 01:13 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Surface Pro 3-- anyone using one?

I am thinking about getting a Surface Pro 3 (I7, 256GB model). I am a typical user, no gaming, but do run some architectural software such as autocad and would also like to run some Solidworks. Any of you currently running one of these? I would like the tablet function for when I meet with architects/clients, and then use the same machine plugged into a dock for my desk functions.

I currently run a PC and pretty heavy iPad use (oh, there is a joke in there!--it has been a heavy flow day....) and would consider it a replacement "system"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 3rd, 2015, 01:30 PM
snowpup
Jeff Snow
1997 D90

I converted a few months ago to the Surface 3 (512gB version). It replaced my laptop. I run autocad with no problem. Complicated Excel models just like a laptop - in fact, it runs exactly like the Thinkpad it replaced. No regrets.
Old January 3rd, 2015, 01:35 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Have you looked at the A360 mobile app? When i was at Autodesk University last year this was being launched. You can work on your Autocad projects on or off line via the mobile app. Try it for 30 days before shelling out for yet another computer.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 3rd, 2015, 03:36 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Thanks for the advice-- autocad (and A360) was really just a reference as the programs I really need are Visual and AGI which most folks outside of lighting would not know about. Great to hear about A360-- that looks to be a great app. My PC is about 7 years old, so really time to replace, and wanted to see if the surface is up to the hype. my coworkers love theirs but most brand new users seem to love things before they truly have used them, so I like to be thorough...

I'm pretty frugal as we don't have much $$ so I really like to make sure my purchases are not impulse or poor choices... I tend to hang onto my stuff for a long time.....
Old January 3rd, 2015, 04:40 PM
mattarm
Matt
1993 D110

Chris,
I have been using the i5/4GB/128GB Surface Pro 3 for several months and love it. I use it docked with 2 24" monitors + full size keyboard & mouse, with the keypad and as a tablet. It is very versatile device. My use cases are 75% mobile, 25% plugged in. 90% productivity, 10% development. I use the pen extensively for note taking and markup.

You might also take a look at the i5 with 8GB and 256 GB SSD in addition to the i7. There are certain situations where the i7 SP3 appears to throttle speeds to maintain thermal characteristics. http://tabtec.com/windows/surface-pr...-battery-life/

Also stay away from the lighter colored keyboards as they will pick up oil/dirt from use. Cyan is the worst. Black and Purple seem to resist the most. The SP3 offers a darker blue, which looks like it might not show as much as the Cyan.

Hope this helps.
Matt
Old January 3rd, 2015, 05:06 PM
kylexh
Kyle Hourihan
1994 / D90

I'm reading this on my SP3 256GB i7 model. Love it. Hardly use my MacBook Pro any more. Good advice on the keyboards, don't get Cyan, it shows dirt.

Also grab a 64AGB SD card instead of paying the extra 400 for the 512GB model: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

64GB is a lot cheaper than the 128GB, and note the above model is the 90GB/sec transfer rate, fastest available. You can store all your videos, music on the SD card, and save the SSD for OS and apps.
Old January 3rd, 2015, 05:13 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
i'm assuming you're looking at least at the core i5 or i7 models with 4gb of ram for cad?

the cheapest surface 3 is really pretty pitiful. my i5 macbook air is the minimum I'd use for 3d modeling. the display on the surface pro 3 is fantastic though, and it can drive monitors at 2560x1440 which is good.
Old January 3rd, 2015, 05:16 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Santa (me) give one to my wife...she loves it...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 4th, 2015, 12:23 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Great advice all around. I'll look into the SD card and fortunately purple is my favorite color (for some things...) so that works fine. Think I'll take the plunge...
Old January 4th, 2015, 09:09 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis View Post
Great advice all around. I'll look into the SD card and fortunately purple is my favorite color (for some things...) so that works fine. Think I'll take the plunge...
I just put a 1TB sad in a 2011 iMac. Honestly it's like a new computer. Don't know if the surface is sad based. But I would strongly recommend going that route.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old January 4th, 2015, 09:28 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
The SD card is nothing like a native solid state drive.

The performance is totally different. If you want extra (slow) storage space, an SD card works OK. If you need speed, the SD will disappoint you badly
Old February 4th, 2015, 10:53 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Work is transitioning to Surface pro's for enrollments. Loving the way it works.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old February 5th, 2015, 07:45 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
I got a surface pro 3 yesterday as my new work laptop. Keyboard is junk but the rest seams ok.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old February 5th, 2015, 09:23 AM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

I just got the "HP Envy X2" running windows 8.1 64 bit with a 256 solid state drive. It is a little heavy but i have not had any problems running any software on it. I got it for a great price, less than 1/2 of the surface Pro.
Old February 5th, 2015, 09:46 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
We gave our kids the surface RT for christmas and they are awesome. I want a surface pro. Took microsoft a long time to get the table right but they nailed it.

Life Lesson #238: A man should never admit he likes purple in public.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ac