Sunfish vs Laser? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 17th, 2015, 12:26 PM
rangerover
Patrick
1990 Range Rover

Small boat: Sunfish all the way - Lasers are cool, but I've always had more fun on a sunfish
as for cats: Shark. Hands down. (https://www.facebook.com/groups/460564555388/)

I want to add a phantom to the fleet though: Phantom International | Flying Phantom by Phantom International |

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 17th, 2015, 01:20 PM
Capt. S
Capt.
None

Any price point in mind?
Are you looking to trailer or keep at a dock or mooring?

A Laser or sunfish is great if you want to travel easily, ive tied a sunfish to the roof enough times now

If you have a mooring or dock try a J boat such as a J22, J24, or J70
J/70

or for another UK project the 49er
49er - Shop

OR go super fast with a MOTH foiling boat
Mach2 Foiling Moths - Home
Old March 17th, 2015, 01:26 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Foils are intense! Kitesurfers are killing it. I have been itching to try it but my kitesurfing skills are seriously lacking

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 17th, 2015, 02:37 PM
61rover
John Crouse
'93 NAS D110 (#8) / '61 Series II

Registry
I prefer the Laser. Sunfish are great to learn on, but the Laser is just more fun.

I've raced catamarans (Prindles mostly) and E-Scows, and I still like sailing the Lasers.
Old March 17th, 2015, 07:41 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
For a one-person dingy, look no further than a Topper. Planning hull and faster than a Laser in heavy air. Purchased at the 77' Washington Boat show and still have the damn thing. LOL.
That reminds me od a dabchick. Not sure if they have them here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dabchick_(dinghy)

The foil boats look awesome. It reminded me that I saw the Americas Cup boat Oracle when in SF. If was flying along and I think the chase boats could barely keep up!
Old March 17th, 2015, 09:40 PM
sp543
Shawn
None

Laser. Super easy to find used anywhere in the country at prices that range from free to a brand new one at $6500+. Fleets are still super strong if you plan on racing, if you're just starting it's easy to "reef" the sail (wrap it around the mast a few times) to allow you to sail in any condition as they are pretty powerful which can be intimidating for someone learning. Look into the Club 420 as well, could be another good option especially if you would like to sail with another person.
Old March 18th, 2015, 10:33 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp543 View Post
Laser. Super easy to find used anywhere in the country at prices that range from free to a brand new one at $6500+.....

So far no luck here in Florida for a free Laser. Cheapest I have found is $1500. A Sunfish with trailer $700. Took the Wave out yesterday and nearly pitch-poled a few times. Good times!

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old March 18th, 2015, 11:27 AM
LR Max
Thomason, Max
1973 Series 3 109

I used to sail both.

As others have said, sunfish is easier to sail and great to learn your skills on. Also if the water you are sailing on isn't exactly flat, its a lot more forgiving. Easy to setup and tear down which is nice.

Laser is a go-fast boat. It'll haul and is fun. Great boat to learn the more on as well. However in rough water they are a handful.

All of that said, 16ft catamaran with the little floatie on the top of the mast so it won't go full turtle on you. They are fast, fun, and you can fit more girls on it than a laser.
Old March 18th, 2015, 11:27 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDSUX View Post
So far no luck here in Florida for a free Laser. Cheapest I have found is $1500. A Sunfish with trailer $700. Took the Wave out yesterday and nearly pitch-poled a few times. Good times!
Free and laser aren't going to go together, $1500 is a steal if it is complete, its a popular boat and the hull design has been around for a decade + at this point.

wrong time of year to be looking for one, kids leaving sailing programs after the summer and then they go on sale in the fall (kids go to college). Thats when dad tries to recoup some of the cost of 4 years of dinghy sailing
Old March 18th, 2015, 11:38 AM
pl626
Peter
1995 Range Rover County SWB

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LR Max View Post
All of that said, 16ft catamaran with the little floatie on the top of the mast so it won't go full turtle on you. They are fast, fun, and you can fit more girls on it than a laser.

Exactly why I bought the Hobie Getaway. Forward tramp can seat an additional two and I have sailed it with 6 people. We even tipped, but no turtling. Righting is so simple. Fun times.

pc

'95 RRC SWB
'95 RRC LWB (Sold)
'06 E350 Sport
'87 HD FLST w/ '02 Fatboy sheetmetal
'02 Hobie Getaway

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat