summer travel - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 24th, 2007, 07:17 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

summer travel

Just in time for summer travel. At least he makes sense.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...GasPrices.aspx
Advertisement

Old June 5th, 2007, 06:10 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Hello Randy;
Sorry for the hijack, and to make matters worse, it's not even LR related.....but I see you live in Tulsa.

I've been reading about a time capsule buried in Tulsa in June, 1957. Among other period items buried in the capsule was a brand new 1957 Plymouth Belvedere Sport Coupe, (Christine !!).
It was covered in cosmoline and wrapped it in styrofoam when it was lowered in to the capsule. (Wonder what that'll look like after 50 years...)

Apparantly at the time it was buried in 1957, local residents were encouraged to guess what the population of Tulsa would be 50 years later in June, 2007 and that the person, (or his/her family if deceased) that guesses closest will win the car.

I read they are digging up the capsule on June 15, 2007 as part of the "Tulsarama" city anniversary celebration. Have you heard if local TV stations are covering it, and/or if there will webcast(s) showing the retrieval? I think this is cool and would like to see it...

Thanks,
Garth
Old June 5th, 2007, 10:29 PM
Paul Davis
Paul Davis
97 ST

The media is driving us crazy with footage already. The city dug down to the "casket" it is living in a few weeks ago and the excavacation company stated all looked well for the removal. When the car was buried hooks were placed in the wall of the cement so the casket can be removed fairly easily. The city is expecting thousands of people to be in attendance.

I think this idea is really cool, but I wonder what it smells like inside!? I can't help but wonder if it is a touch musty.

Our local news stations all have websites:

www.kotv.com
www.kjrh.com
www.newschannel8.com
www.fox23.com

I am sure there will be plenty of coverage, especially on the day of.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 6th, 2007, 10:12 AM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
My Mom and grandmother were actually present when they lowered it down. My grandmother still lives in Tulsa and will be going to watch it come back up... How cool is that?
Old June 6th, 2007, 11:31 AM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Paul:
Thanks very much for the local info - exactly what I was looking for.

Burke:
Way cool. I imagine it'll be like stepping back in time for your GM...
Old June 6th, 2007, 07:55 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

If they had really been thinkin' they could have buried a couple thousand gallons of gas with it.

With Stabilizer.
Old June 14th, 2007, 09:05 AM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

If they had REALLY been thinking they would have added some means to pump out any water that WILL get into an underground concrete box in OKlahoma clay soils.

Yep, they winner will get a '57 Belvedere that has been sitting in three feet of water. Probably for 49 years and 10 months.

The local news this morning said they aren't sure yet if the lifting beams are rusted past the point of bearing the load.
Old June 14th, 2007, 12:46 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

I think you're right on the money, Randy. It doesn't look good at all. There was talk circulating on some of the Mopar sites early on about having a hemi engine guru like Herb McCandless try and actually get it fired up during the Tulsarama event. Doesn't look like that'll happen....

The mid to late 50's Virgil Exner era (finned) Plymouth/Dodge/DeSoto/Chrysler cars were particularly prone to rust issues.

Oddly, the local Tulsa chapter of the Late Great Chevy Association (a great club, by the way, if you're a 348 / 409 Chev fan) has a detailed slide show documenting the unearthing of the capsule and the first look at the covered Belvedere on their site at: www.tulsachevys.com
Old June 14th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

From the looks of the water, that car could have so much rust it would collapse on itself with slight pressure. I can just imagine the rust line on the lower body work, eaten clean through the sheetmetal. They could probably tell a lot by the water pumped out. Rusted metal colors water. The clay soil would also contribute to rust.

What a shame. That would have been really nice to unearth a pristine car. Every car enthusiast dreams of finding a car tucked away like new.

I remember reading a story about a fleet of "lost" Ford Mustangs found in a building. As the tale went, if memory serves me right, Ford was building inventory for the new model year (1966 model). Ford acquired temporary extra space for storing Mustangs due to their extreme high volume. The higher the sales, the more inventory buildup was needed, and storage space was short. Some number of cars end up in an empty building near the factory.

The model year starts, but the cars are lost in a paperwork mixup. Not until 15 or 20 years later does anyone find the cars in the parking basement. Beyond that, I can't remember. This was written up in some Mustang magazine I once read back in high school. Is it true, I couldn't tell. But you just know someone went looking in buildings around Dearborn after reading such a tale.
Old June 14th, 2007, 11:19 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

That reminds me of a parking garage we went into in New Orleans a couple of weeks after Katrina.
Some of the most expensive new cars in town were parked there because it was high ground. The new car dealers couldn't drive them all out so thats where they were stored. (except for the Cadillacs that the NOPD were using)

I felt like I had really stumbled onto something. Funny thing was though, the National Gaurd had gaurds posted there.

Now I wonder how the dealerships knew that's where they would set up post?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat