Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 12th, 2014, 08:21 AM
josh-man
joshua
82 Land Rover 110 Ex MOD

Registry
Suggestions for using Ebay to sell 110

I'm at the point where I am considering listing my 110 FS on eBay. Any suggestion beyond a really thorough descriptions and tons of pictures? I've never used eBay for anything beyond random sh$t I've unloaded over the years. Never a vehicle let alone something with a fairly narrow specialty market.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 12th, 2014, 08:39 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
The last time I used eBay to sell a truck, I wrote a very lengthly and candid description including a link to a photobucket slide show with tons of pictures.

You'll find people who will tell you that the less you say the better, but if you don't wantto spend your time answering questions from 1,000 tire-kickers, it's best to put it all out there. The good, the bad and the ugly. At least that's my philosophy.

I'm selling my wife's X3 right now and I've written an ad in CL and Autotrader that probably does more to convince buyers that the car is NOT for them rather than tries to sell it. I hate people who lie about condition or leave it to the buyer to find all the skeletons. Though, I see why people eliminate all descriptions and just write a simple description.

I guess it depends on how much money you're asking also.

Bear in mind that when you're selling a D-110, you're selling not only a specialty vehicle, but a vehicle that appeals to a very wide audience. Now, i know that many of you would laugh at the second part to that statement but when I say "appeals to a very wide audience", I don't mean buyers that are actualy capable of buying it, but the thousands of dreamers out there who envision one sitting in their driveway.

No matter what you do, I guess you should be prepared to answer every ridiculous question you could imagine. the following are some of the better (actual questions) from buyers when I sold my '84 CSW a number of years ago:
-"Will it fit in (insert high-rise address) garage in NYC?"
-"Will it be okay to drive on the highway?"
-"How much does it cost to maintain?"
-"Where do you get parts?"

If the buyer hasn't answered these questions on his own yet, send him away to do some more research. You'll get lots of these types.

In the end, I wrote what I thought was a very comprehensive description (do a search here in heer and you'l probably find it) and it did weed out a lot of uninformed buyers. You may not want to do that however. It depends on your tolerance for people and their questions.
Old May 12th, 2014, 09:02 AM
josh-man
joshua
82 Land Rover 110 Ex MOD

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
The last time I used eBay to sell a truck, I wrote a very lengthly and candid description including a link to a photobucket slide show with tons of pictures. You'll find people who will tell you that the less you say the better, but if you don't wantto spend your time answering questions from 1,000 tire-kickers, it's best to put it all out there. The good, the bad and the ugly. At least that's my philosophy. I'm selling my wife's X3 right now and I've written an ad in CL and Autotrader that probably does more to convince buyers that the car is NOT for them rather than tries to sell it. I hate people who lie about condition or leave it to the buyer to find all the skeletons. Though, I see why people eliminate all descriptions and just write a simple description. I guess it depends on how much money you're asking also. Bear in mind that when you're selling a D-110, you're selling not only a specialty vehicle, but a vehicle that appeals to a very wide audience. Now, i know that many of you would laugh at the second part to that statement but when I say "appeals to a very wide audience", I don't mean buyers that are actualy capable of buying it, but the thousands of dreamers out there who envision one sitting in their driveway. No matter what you do, I guess you should be prepared to answer every ridiculous question you could imagine. the following are some of the better (actual questions) from buyers when I sold my '84 CSW a number of years ago: -"Will it fit in (insert high-rise address) garage in NYC?" -"Will it be okay to drive on the highway?" -"How much does it cost to maintain?" -"Where do you get parts?" If the buyer hasn't answered these questions on his own yet, send him away to do some more research. You'll get lots of these types. In the end, I wrote what I thought was a very comprehensive description (do a search here in heer and you'l probably find it) and it did weed out a lot of uninformed buyers. You may not want to do that however. It depends on your tolerance for people and their questions.
Solid advice I appreciate it. Did you use the reserve option?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 12th, 2014, 09:10 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
good time to list, there are only 3 up there, and 1 is fake
Old May 12th, 2014, 09:35 AM
josh-man
joshua
82 Land Rover 110 Ex MOD

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtomchik View Post
good time to list, there are only 3 up there, and 1 is fake
Sheesh, well shit. I guess I know what I'm doing at lunch!
Old May 12th, 2014, 10:04 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
yes, I would set a reserve at your absolute low number. Maybe even consider a Buy-it-Now or eBay's classified option instead of an auction format.

I think auction format is not great for specialty and vintage vehicles. It just takes too long for people to do their reseearch, arrange inspection etc. All eBay really is is just a platform for exposure, a good search engine.
Old May 12th, 2014, 10:10 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
........also, in a strange crazy coincidence, my old 110 popped up in the right-hand margin "Defender Registry" right next to the quote where I had mentioned her.
She knew I was talking about her!!!
Crazy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot1.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	94751  
Old May 12th, 2014, 10:12 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
It doesn't matter if you include every detail, people will still ask questions that are already answered in the ad.
Old May 12th, 2014, 10:24 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Not sure how accurate it is but read somewhere that statistically few vehicles sell on ebay vs listing ratio. Autotrader supposedly has a much higher listing to sale ratio.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 12th, 2014, 10:47 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Doug I'm pretty sure you are right and that's why they introduced ebay classifieds ...

Bottom line to sell a vehicle you have to FIND the buyer ... you need to advertise it in as many places as possible to increase you chances.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old May 12th, 2014, 11:10 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
It doesn't matter if you include every detail, people will still ask questions that are already answered in the ad.
Truth
Old May 12th, 2014, 01:56 PM
josh-man
joshua
82 Land Rover 110 Ex MOD

Registry
How the hell do I get eBay to accept my VIN??!!
Old May 12th, 2014, 02:06 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh-man View Post
Have a newer vehicle
Old May 12th, 2014, 02:07 PM
josh-man
joshua
82 Land Rover 110 Ex MOD

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh-man View Post
Update: talked to eBay. Was any foreign VINS jut put 17 zeros in required VIN area and list the actual VIN in description...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat