Suggestions for new DD - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 31st, 2016, 10:48 AM
Talleyrand
John
1998 Defender 110 CSW 300Tdi

Registry
Our DD for two kids etc has been a used LR3. Second the point that you get a lot of capability and capacity for the money. Mileage is terrible at around 15 mpg combined but gas is cheap these days? On the plus side the thing is big, heavy and solid and would hold up well in any collision, god forbid. It has been quite reliable. We bought it at 75000 miles for $16K and have replaced the starter motor, air suspension compressor and one rear air spring, plus rear control arms so far, plus brake pads etc. You can get 85% of what an LR4 is from a good used LR3. On the other hand, while it is in at the shop getting serviced, I was given a loaner car : a Nissan Rogue. Surprisingly nice car, is bigger than a Outback wagon, and can be had in AWD. Also quite zippy, good throttle response. Sure it is bland looking but so is pretty much everything these days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 31st, 2016, 11:56 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
I wouldn't get anything too nice. Kids destroy cars no matter what age they are.

A family rig depends on age and what you guys do activity wise. If the kids are playing hockey or lacrosse those bags and sticks take up room. And you'll be traveling all over for games. Even soccer bags take up space. Skiing/snowboarding takes a ton of space.

I love our Suburban and would say a Tahoe/Yukon for 2 kids would be nice. With the backup camera I can parallel park it in some tight spots. It drives well and there are 3 Chevy dealers for service within 15 minutes of our house. On AT tires it works well in the snow and I was shuttling kids last week during that snow storm. I got 15 MPG on our last trip to VT fully loaded with a ski box up top and 70+ mph travel speed. Also I can fill up once and drive 400 miles which I couldn't in a borrowed LR4 (small tank) or my wife's L322.

If you don't want to go that big then the LR3 or check out the Jeep Grand Cherokee like mentioned. Modern SUV's drive so well - might as well take the higher stance/better visibility and extra "beef" for the family.

PS - I am not a mini-van fan at all but those Mercedes Metris rigs look neat. Just wish it had a Merc diesel and all wheel drive. But that could be an option too.
Old January 31st, 2016, 12:04 PM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

Suburban is hard to beat- as is a nice LR3- agree it depends on activities! And if really wet ventures like skiing and surfing, a F-150 CC with cap/cover on back serves well for wet things and dogs you don't want in enclosed area.

Lastly, reliability is a biggie for family rig- don't need head gaskets, bad fuel pump, etc when the whole clan is on board.
Of all the Rovers we have had, I had one we had been sorting, and happened to take it by the car wash. Needless to say it died, would not start, had the whole place blocked!! Luckily we are a very small town, and our paint shop has a rollback, so he saved me- but the kids remember that as much as our trip driving through Central America in a 130. Just saying...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 31st, 2016, 01:13 PM
roverguy
Robert
1995 RRC

Registry
I was going to suggest a crew cab truck, they hold value and most have plenty of interior room.
2000 DII (SOLD)
Old January 31st, 2016, 02:27 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

We were in the same boat a couple years ago. We drove an Outback and Volvo. We had a Toureg, and I cannot even describe how bad it was on service just in 20K miles. I told VW to keep it the last time I was there and the roof was leaking because the metal was so thin it had holes when the wax wore off.

We bought an LR3 that was a dealer loaner vehicle. We got a smoking deal and plan on keeping it forever.

Here's why we bought it. We drive mostly around town. The gas mileage around town was only 2-4mpg less than the wagons and I knew what I was getting with an LR3. I've done the suspension compressor and routine maintenance myself. I know I need to do control arms and I'll be buying them from Lucky8 when the time comes. When an air coil goes out, I'll be doing a coil conversion. While the Toureg was great in bad weather the LR3 is just as good. We also bought the vehicle used for the same money as a new wagon when we factored 40K of gas and $3K in expected repairs. I didn't care about mileage, because of our plans to keep it forever. We have 2 kids and end up using the 3rd row ALL THE TIME. Play dates and car pooling with families.

The only other thing I would say is that for a time my company rig was a crew cab F150. Man, does it haul families great. It may be better than an LR3 depending on how you like to carry gear. They are dang comfortable now.
Old January 31st, 2016, 02:45 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

In that range, for a DD I'd get a first gen X5 3.0i over an LR3. Great engine, fun to drive, and great MPG. Plus you can find one with a stick shift.

http://www.m3forum.com/brochures/x5_2006.pdf
Old January 31st, 2016, 05:49 PM
D90_982
Chad
1994 ST #982 (SOLD)

great feedback

Thanks for all the insight - keep it coming. I'm going to look at a used LR3 with the idea of doing some upgrades / fixes or jeep. X5 stick sounds amazing btw.

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/5408264427.html - maybe somthing like this for ~$5k and have to put in $5 to 7k to get it really nice?
Old January 31st, 2016, 05:59 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
I would lease a Discovery Sport.
Old January 31st, 2016, 06:33 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

LR3

Lo miles good equipment. http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...425349497.html

2008 LR3 HSE LUX, 62k miles, loaded & clean
Old February 1st, 2016, 08:10 AM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
In that range, for a DD I'd get a first gen X5 3.0i over an LR3. Great engine, fun to drive, and great MPG. Plus you can find one with a stick shift.

http://www.m3forum.com/brochures/x5_2006.pdf
Stick Shift? Talk about a needle in a haystack. Good luck finding one. We have a, '06 X5, 175K miles on it. Its been good to us, and my wife still loves it, but the oil leaks (its a BMW, they start around 100K miles) are getting annoying, and its starting to do all the typical X5 'little things' (broken window regulators (where did my side window go? Oh there it is, stuck in the bottom of the door), door handle carriages (interior door handle works, but not the outside.. LOL!), Etc, Etc. I will say it has had no major mechanical failures (probably shouldn't have said that)

The suspension bushings tend to go by around 100K as well (necessitating expensive replacement or it chews through tires like candy), and they say the auto trans are typically good for about 150K miles before problems tend to set in. So depending on mileage (and maintenance history), not sure how good an option these are, since the newest first gen X5 is 10 years old now, and the electrical gremlins probably aren't far behind as well..

My 2 cents, sorry to be long winded..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 14th, 2016, 08:49 PM
D90_982
Chad
1994 ST #982 (SOLD)

Am I crazy to even entertain this?

http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/cto/5433619287.html
Old February 15th, 2016, 06:10 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Not at all. The next classics.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old February 15th, 2016, 09:06 AM
doktorno
Chris deZ.
1995 Defender SW

Registry
Lexus GX470, basically a V8 4Runner. Called a Land Cruiser Prado on the rest of the planet. The premium package will get you self-leveling rear that helps when towing. KDSS suspension option complicated, but decent.
Old February 15th, 2016, 11:06 AM
oilburner
JL
large pile of parts

I wonder why no love for the audis?

Our (my wife's) next car will probably be an A4... The oil consumption issues have me worried though. Won't touch a BMW or any other upscale marque, want manual trans, and I will never give Subaru another dime after our current Impreza.

We live in a hilly area and AWD is a requirement. The neighbourhood is littered with just about every marque and Audi / Subaru's simple awd system seems to do best in deep snow and ice. The other brake-based systems just seem to freak out once you have slippage on more than two wheels.
Diesel-swapped 1994 80 series Land-cruiser
And a difflocked 4wd turbodiesel Lambo
Old February 15th, 2016, 01:14 PM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by D90_982 View Post
Am I crazy to even entertain this?

2011 Land Rover LR4 HSE - 7 seat

Not at all. We bought and '11 LR4 last year. Really impressed with it thus far. Other than an oil change and alignment, I've replaced a tail door actuator and a hood switch (it is true LR lineage!). It's a great riding road trip vehicle and gets better mileage that then D2 we had prior. Love all the amenities.

Will have to update on how a kid enters the equation later. Our first is slated to arrive in late July...

only downside to the '11 is the lack of bluetooth to the audio (it does phone, but no audio. huh?). This gizmoo does the trick: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o07_s01
Old February 15th, 2016, 02:26 PM
chuckc4
chuck b

Quote:
Originally Posted by D90_982 View Post
I'm replacing my Jeep Grand Cherokee and need a new reliable DD.

Background
I have to park this car outside at home due to constraints with garages built in the 1930s, so I either want a used car or lease. I have two small kids.

What I like - SUV or wagon

Wagon - The S4 avant 6-speed or 2003 540 wagon are probably my ideal car (we're in the tree of trust right?). I prefer the new 3 series wagon to 5 series.

I like the VW Golf wagon but doesn't have AWD. The new Allroad is too feminine.

SUV - On the SUV side, I best like the Toureg look but the pricing makes no sense, and I like the new Mercedes GLE. Also like the look of the Volvo V60 cross country but hate my wife's Volvo XC90 - always in shop and zero performance.

I like the look and feel of the LR4 but miles per gallon seems like a joke and it's priced for status unfortunately.

Would I be crazy to buy a 2010 Range Rover Sport with like 50k miles or an older LR3 with 100k miles cheaply?

Help please
How about the Jeep Cherokee? A bit smaller than the grand cherokee, but excellent performance wise and a touch larger than the wagons you are looking at, which will help with the kids. While not European, the Jeep offers a lot for the money.
Old February 15th, 2016, 02:35 PM
waveridin1959
Brian Jones
1995 D-90 ST #2892

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherpamike View Post
Will have to update on how a kid enters the equation later. Our first is slated to arrive in late July...[/url]
Our LR3 replaced my wifes 3 series intime for the new baby. The carseat will only fit in the middle seat in the LR3 so I assume the same for the LR4. Lowering the truck helps with lifting the baby in and out with the carseat. Also, you will enjoy all the room since babys require the kitchen sink when you go anywhere for an extended period of time.

As a daily driver, my wife loves it with the exception our HSE doesnt have heated seats. Came from FL so there wasnt a need for em. I wish it was my truck.

“Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together… mass hysteria!”
Old February 15th, 2016, 03:36 PM
LR Max
Thomason, Max
1973 Series 3 109

That is a good price for an LR4.

LR3s and LR4s are great vehicles. Especially now fuel is cheap.

Burbs are awesome. I've been renting the newer ones and you can get ~20 mpg on the highway. Friggen gas tank is massive. Also the back is massive. I'm 5' 9" and no problems riding in the 3rd row seat.

Off lease X3s are apparently reasonable. Couple of co-workers picked em up for good prices.

In a couple years, I might look at an off lease Disco Sport for the girlfriend. Its just a big car, but it'll be an awesome big car.

The Chevy Traverse and Nissan Pathfinder are basically minivans with normal doors. Minivans are ridiculously utilitarian...but are still minivans. This would be the compromise.

Xterras have always been good trucks that go forever. Same with 4 Runners.

On that note, the GX470 and 460s are pretty good vehicles. I'm seeing more 470s on the trail and they rock pretty hard. Wheeled with a few 200 series cruisers a year or so ago. They don't seem that big on the trail, which surprised me. Obviously they are super luxo on the inside and nice pavement pounders.

Or you can do like me, and buy a $1000 4 Runner and not care about anything.
Old February 15th, 2016, 06:50 PM
SGS714
Scott Striglos
3xRRC 2xD90 2xD110 Series II, IIA

I just bought a LR4 for my daughter at UN Lincoln NE and dumping the Audi Cab. Wife drove a LR3 for 6 years. I personally think they are a great value in the used market.

67 Series II
71 Series IIa 88" ACR 2.8 Power Plus
89 RRC 2 door VM 2.5TD
93 D110 NAS #327
94 2x D90 NAS #'s 1076 ACR 4.8, 1161 SBC
94 D90 NAS now a D110 HS 2.8 aka Project Wolf
95 2x RRC
1-SWB,Doing the LS Gen IV 98% Done
1-LWB 300tdi
Old February 15th, 2016, 07:08 PM
D90_982
Chad
1994 ST #982 (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by waveridin1959 View Post
The carseat will only fit in the middle seat in the LR3 so I assume the same for the LR4.
What does this mean? In the third row?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat