Old May 18th, 2010, 07:10 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by EWR View Post
Josh, I think you need to stop trying to kid yourself. Just do what's deep down inside. Slam the 90 on bags with twenny fo's, convert to an SW and fill it full of 18's. You know you want to.... flat black your ride and put a sticker on the windshield that reads.... "under construction".
LMAO.... Word....
Advertisement

Old September 18th, 2011, 08:29 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Project completed and it's awesome, so I figured I'd share. I had a few things I wanted to accomplish with my new subwoofer and especially enclosure. It was going on the tailgate, so it had to be light - like all in under 25 lbs light. It also had to be slim enough to fit behind the rear bench seat, CLEAR the floor-mounted seatbelt bracket (the original enclosure that came w/ my truck didn't clear it!!), had to be a 10" sub, rhinolined (both to match, but more for weather durability), EFFICIENT (you wouldn't believe how many subs are overly power-hungry), and of course had to sound amazing. Carey Knause (EWR) and I did a bit of back and forth on this, talking about the best way to go, and after a few months he finally offered to build an enclosure for me - and assured me he would build one better than any of my other options, and optimized to the sub's Q based on the one I would provide him. It took me a month or two to pick out the JL Audio 10W1v2-4, which optimized both the low profile feature I was looking for, as well as performance and budget for my 10" sub. $140 and free shipping at the time (which I used to ship to him) for this sub.

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_s...p?series_id=15

Carey built me an enclosure measuring 16"x19" and I think 7-8 inches deep, as well as under 21 lbs, which INCLUDES the enclosure, rhinolining and my sub (enclosure weighs only 12.5 lbs!!). The sound is CRISP, deep, and easily distinguishable at highway speeds, adding an enjoyable element to one of my favorite parts of going for a drive...listening to tunes. Here's a pic for everyone. Highly recommended. The sub's grill goes on next.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3483839618.jpg
Views:	800
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	42092  
Old September 18th, 2011, 11:05 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Jeff, none of those were low profile subs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 18th, 2011, 11:14 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

What holds it on?
Old September 18th, 2011, 11:15 PM
EWR
Carey
1954 CJ-3B

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
What holds it on?

magic....
Old September 18th, 2011, 11:33 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Knew that or screws would be the smart ass response
Old September 18th, 2011, 11:56 PM
EWR
Carey
1954 CJ-3B

I'm not sure how he mounted his. Generally a 10mm/ 3/8ths SS bolt will work well, one in each corner...or there about. I like using a hex head cap bolt so some Joe schmo can't walk by and unbolt the box with a common wrench.
Old September 19th, 2011, 01:02 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Can't see them in pic.
Old September 19th, 2011, 01:35 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Horsey, what are you doing with that fuel can and the Spiderman ratchet straps? Is there a spot on the east coast where you can be more than a D90 fuel tank from a gas station?

The gym bag and Castrol are a nice touch.

Horsey, here's your new cruising music.

Old September 19th, 2011, 04:24 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
Horsey, what are you doing with that fuel can and the Spiderman ratchet straps? Is there a spot on the east coast where you can be more than a D90 fuel tank from a gas station?

The gym bag and Castrol are a nice touch.

Horsey, here's your new cruising music.

Well done
Old September 21st, 2011, 03:47 AM
Defender90_218
Trenton Smith
1997 D90

Compact P/U box with 2 12' Alpine R-tpye, each one has its own 500w amp and share a capacitor. The box has handles and a quick removal plug setup so it is easy to remove. Held in place with straps to the roll bar/bulkhead behind the seats. works great, easy to remove, and great sound. Mounted in my D90 NAS SW. Also mounts in my MINI Cooper S lol.
Old September 22nd, 2011, 05:22 PM
Kev Baldwin
Kevin Baldwin
2.4 Tdci 110 Utilty Wagon

I'm using a Clarion unit mounted under the cubby box. I didn't realise when I bought it but this is the exact same unit LR fitted on the 60th anniversary SVX Defenders. I had to fabricate some brackets to lift the cubby to provide enough clearance for the sub, but the dimensions of the Clarion unit fit perfectly under the cubby box. I guess that's the chief reason LR selected this same unit.
http://www.clarion.com/gb/en/product...487995599.html
Old September 22nd, 2011, 05:54 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev Baldwin
I'm using a Clarion unit mounted under the cubby box. I didn't realise when I bought it but this is the exact same unit LR fitted on the 60th anniversary SVX Defenders. I had to fabricate some brackets to lift the cubby to provide enough clearance for the sub, but the dimensions of the Clarion unit fit perfectly under the cubby box. I guess that's the chief reason LR selected this same unit.
http://www.clarion.com/gb/en/product...487995599.html
Or Clarion made it for that application. So it's roughly 2.5" thick? That's pretty sick.
Old September 22nd, 2011, 08:48 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

I'm running 2 kicker L5 solobarics in a bass shakers box and they do the job nicely. When I feel I need more bass I put in the Kicker L7 15" sub I have as well. Thats overkill. Got pulled over once already with that thing.

Robert Deniro
Old September 22nd, 2011, 09:00 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

It wasn't because they thought you stole it?
Old September 22nd, 2011, 09:11 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
I'm running 2 kicker L5 solobarics in a bass shakers box and they do the job nicely. When I feel I need more bass I put in the Kicker L7 15" sub I have as well. Thats overkill. Got pulled over once already with that thing.
You didn't find you needed two L7 15's to be able to hear it at highway speeds?
Old September 23rd, 2011, 07:46 AM
Kev Baldwin
Kevin Baldwin
2.4 Tdci 110 Utilty Wagon

Pics of the Clarion install under the cubby box.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Allen04.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	42193   Click image for larger version

Name:	Allen05.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	42194  

Name:	Allen07.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	42195   Click image for larger version

Name:	Allen12.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	42196  

Old November 4th, 2011, 03:15 PM
MC36
Michael Christian
97 D90 ST British Racing Green

Has anyone had experience with powered Bazooka tubes? My D90 lives outside and I think that I need something that I can take inside at night so it will not get legs and walk off.

The previous owner has two tubes in there but they do not work anymore and I want to replace them but wondered how they would sound and if I needed more than one? Any suggestions?

I just replaced my head unit and 4 6-1/2" 2 way marine speakers (money well spent since I left the cover off last night and it rained) The highs are there but there is no warm sound to it. Need a balance, just trying to figure out if one 6 1/2 Bazooka would work or should I go back to the two tube set up.

Thanks in advance

Michael
Old November 4th, 2011, 03:20 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC36 View Post
Has anyone had experience with powered Bazooka tubes? My D90 lives outside and I think that I need something that I can take inside at night so it will not get legs and walk off.

The previous owner has two tubes in there but they do not work anymore and I want to replace them but wondered how they would sound and if I needed more than one? Any suggestions?

I just replaced my head unit and 4 6-1/2" 2 way marine speakers (money well spent since I left the cover off last night and it rained) The highs are there but there is no warm sound to it. Need a balance, just trying to figure out if one 6 1/2 Bazooka would work or should I go back to the two tube set up.

Thanks in advance

Michael
Yes, I had a pre-amp Bazooka tube in there at first. Not crisp, just low thumping...added nothing to the listening experience, and likely detracted from it, as I have nice Bostons all around. It broke after a few weeks. The fact that you have two broken Bazooka units wouldn't make me comfortable buying one of their units ever again.
Old November 8th, 2011, 02:00 PM
MC36
Michael Christian
97 D90 ST British Racing Green

Thanks for the insight. That is a good point. I figured the two Bazookas broke due to moisture, so I ordered the marine unit. They have not worked in the 1/2 year that I have had it and the previous owner did not know if they ever worked. I will try one and see if it works but I wish I had seen your comments on the low thud rather than a crisp sound. Sort of disappointing but makes since, I have only found Crutchfield that still sells them for the most part which may be the reason why. I wonder if the powered sub will make a difference rather than the pre- amp version? I am crossing my fingers that one adds something but the likeliness is NO. I was hoping not to spend a ton of money on this one but like other projects what I originally wanted and what ends up being a long way $$$ apart!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat