Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 15th, 2011, 11:19 AM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naplm00 View Post
hunting will be limited to whitetail and boar, so in reality i don't need a magnum cartridge, but i don't own one and would like something around there. Mostly target shooting.

Last time I actually bagged a deer I was using my Marlin 1894 in 44 mag. It was a lucky shot
Ha,ha!
Once upon a time, long ago, I was at a gun shop with an old Texan who had kinda taken me under his wing he was about to buy yet another rifle he didn't need. When I asked him "whatcha need that for?" he told me: "Boy, need hasn't got a damn thing to do with it!" Ha,Ha.

I've tried to follow that motto ever since.

I hunted deer last year with my '73 Winchester in 45Colt but was not so fortunate as you. Well done.
Advertisement

Old September 15th, 2011, 11:29 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
That's a lot of money for a rifle.

If you're really looking to spend that much, I say go with a SAKO TRG-42 in .338 Lapua Mag with the Tan stock.
Old September 15th, 2011, 11:34 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
That's a lot of money for a rifle.

If you're really looking to spend that much, I say go with a SAKO TRG-42 in .338 Lapua Mag with the Tan stock.
That kind of money will get you started with the TRG. To set one up will cost about 4-4.5k. I think the mounts alone are about $600...

The Sako M995 338 lapua comes up every now and then on gunbroker. I will be getting one in the next year or two.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 15th, 2011, 12:35 PM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

My 2 cents on the TRG:
The bipod is sick money, I must have $250 in buttstock spacers(just stupid little pieces of plastic), the muzzle is threaded M1x18 so I had to have a can that's dedicated to that rifle alone, and they aren't as easy to rebarrel as others. -They are an accessorizing money pit.

If I had to do it over again I would probably spend less money on something else that shot as well.

Nothing against the gun itself. It's a fine rifle.

This post is not meant to offend but rather to inform someone as to what you're up against when you buy one.
Old September 16th, 2011, 08:45 AM
Gunmaker
Michael Ullman
1995 D90 SW #270

Registry
Well if you can loose 200 FPS then for accuracy I would drop down to a Remington 700 tactial in .308. Cut the barrel down to 20 inches and bed it in a McMillan M40A-1 stock. consistantly under 1/2 MAO with that set up. In fact we put one out this week that with three different ammos shot .238, .225 and .183. Not to bad for a factory barrel and a little love.

If you just got to have more power I would lean twards a .300 Win Mag. They tend to shoot very well. Not that the 06 won't.

Winchester's, Remingtons both will serve you well. The Savage are also a great shooting gun, While I am not a fan of the way they look they tend to shoot lights out right out of the box.
Old September 16th, 2011, 09:20 AM
mhansen
Mike Hansen
97 D-90 SW #2243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Hayward View Post
I must have $250 in buttstock spacers(just stupid little pieces of plastic)
Hey Lurch thats because your 7 feet tall and have a 92 inch reach

Whats your TRG chambered in? Been thinking about getting another bolt gun, or bull barreled AR in 308 or 6.5 Creedmore. or maybey a space gun (Tubb 2000) Any thoughts?
Old September 16th, 2011, 11:20 AM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmaker View Post
Well if you can loose 200 FPS then for accuracy I would drop down to a Remington 700 tactial in .308. Cut the barrel down to 20 inches and bed it in a McMillan M40A-1 stock. consistantly under 1/2 MAO with that set up. In fact we put one out this week that with three different ammos shot .238, .225 and .183. Not to bad for a factory barrel and a little love.

If you just got to have more power I would lean twards a .300 Win Mag. They tend to shoot very well. Not that the 06 won't.

Winchester's, Remingtons both will serve you well. The Savage are also a great shooting gun, While I am not a fan of the way they look they tend to shoot lights out right out of the box.
I'm sure you don't need the validation but; "What he said." Every last word of it.

Push a 175smk at 2600 and all the math has already been done for a guy, too, complete with laminated cards. A great place to start.

------ Follow up post added September 16th, 2011 09:33 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhansen View Post
Hey Lurch thats because your 7 feet tall and have a 92 inch reach

Whats your TRG chambered in? Been thinking about getting another bolt gun, or bull barreled AR in 308 or 6.5 Creedmore. or maybey a space gun (Tubb 2000) Any thoughts?
HA,HA,HA!!! You kill me, Dude!

My TRG is a .308. RUN AWAY! What Gunmaker just said is why. Either gun is better than I am. I would lean toward his and I'll bet he only wishes he could get for his craftsmanship what I paid for a name.
Funny you should mention a bull barreled AR in 308. Long story, but one made it onto my rack just two days ago. The action is an IRA from up in Fort Collins. The barrel I had. I'll let you know how it shoots. The guy I got the action from was freeing up money for a new lathe. He was running a 260 barrel on it. Says that's all the rage these days, but I don't know anything about it.

Freakin good to hear from you.
Old September 16th, 2011, 01:13 PM
mhansen
Mike Hansen
97 D-90 SW #2243

260:

Low recoil and very good balistics One of the guys in the office here just took out his new 6.5x47 Lapua Rem 700 action kreger barrel and McMillon stock. He has just started working up loads for it, but is very happy with it thus far.

Need a happy hour soon. But my travel schedule sucks right now.
Old September 17th, 2011, 02:00 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

There is no way to answer your question without specifics. It’s like asking what vehicle you should buy. What are you looking to do with it? Target, hunt, match, etc? Medium to long range being 500M or 1000M? Your preferences for the rifle itself? At $2.5K, you can have a lot of reputable gunsmiths custom build you a .5 MOA gun as pretty or as rugged as you choose. As others have mentioned, there are guaranteed from the mass built manufacturer sub-MOA guns all over the price range from Weatherby to Savage to Tikka (Sako) at the low end, and then moving up. At $2.5K, a whole new world is available to you.

I’ve heard the Tikka from Sako is a phenomenal shooter out of the box and starts way below a SGrand. I think the plastic leaves a bit to be desired though. The Remmy’s are hit or miss out of the box, but can be tuned all day long. The new FN Winchesters look like a step forward as well and you won’t have to mess with the Remmy safety. Kimber makes a pretty shooter in the 84 line but again, hit or miss.

Try budsgunshop.com btw….
Old September 18th, 2011, 11:13 AM
roverguy
Robert
1995 RRC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMac View Post
There is no way to answer your question without specifics. It’s like asking what vehicle you should buy. What are you looking to do with it? Target, hunt, match, etc? Medium to long range being 500M or 1000M? Your preferences for the rifle itself? At $2.5K, you can have a lot of reputable gunsmiths custom build you a .5 MOA gun as pretty or as rugged as you choose. As others have mentioned, there are guaranteed from the mass built manufacturer sub-MOA guns all over the price range from Weatherby to Savage to Tikka (Sako) at the low end, and then moving up. At $2.5K, a whole new world is available to you.

I’ve heard the Tikka from Sako is a phenomenal shooter out of the box and starts way below a SGrand. I think the plastic leaves a bit to be desired though. The Remmy’s are hit or miss out of the box, but can be tuned all day long. The new FN Winchesters look like a step forward as well and you won’t have to mess with the Remmy safety. Kimber makes a pretty shooter in the 84 line but again, hit or miss.

Try budsgunshop.com btw….
I like Tikka as well, plus they have a D110 on their website for an ad. I also looked at a really nice A-Bolt II in 30-06 that was really nice as well.
2000 DII (SOLD)
Old September 18th, 2011, 01:50 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
I sold my Tikka T3 did not care much for the whole thing, I love my Savage SV ( more than the 700 sps ), right out of the box ( with the right Trijicon ) 600yds shooting silos right on the nose every shot
Old September 19th, 2011, 04:18 PM
zimm
bart
anyone moves..... #238 sold

second the savage. the only issue i have with it, is.. i find it ugly. i dont know why.

and if youre not a reloader, have someone teach you so you can get off to a flying start.
Old September 19th, 2011, 05:27 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimm View Post
second the savage. the only issue i have with it, is.. i find it ugly. i dont know why.

and if youre not a reloader, have someone teach you so you can get off to a flying start.
It's the barrel nut style of retention for the barrel. Good for accuracy, bad for aesthetics... but better than it used to be.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old September 19th, 2011, 09:06 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Yeah, the Tikkas are shooters, but a lot of folks hate the plastic, me included. I think the most important aspect is the ability of the shooter to actually shoot sub MOA, a GOOD optic, and handloads. A good optic meaning Euro glass like Swaro, Zeiss, Leica, Minox, S&B, or Meopta. Leupold, Burris, and Nikons work as well. I think $600-800 for a good, mass built Sub-MOA rifle coupled with good glass ($500-$2000), handloads, and practice would be the best combo. Probably a looks/function preference for the rifle really. I use Trijicon for work, but I trust German glass for myself....

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ac