Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 20th, 2007, 11:33 AM
Chaucer
Will
93 110 | 97 90

Stupid Question

Showing my ignorance here:

Why is it that when people post a pic of their vehicle on the 'net they do something to obscure the license plate? They mask out the letters/numbers or blur them, or whatever...

What's the idea behind this practice? Can someone trace the plate and find out your personal information? Obviously if you're a police officer you have some access to running a plate...But really, what's the big deal?

There must be something I'm missing...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 20th, 2007, 12:10 PM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Unfortunately you don't have to be a police officer to run a plate. There are numerous "pay to use" services that you can get this information from. They market them mostly to Private Investigative agencies and such, but there are avenues to get the info.

I remember years back a friend of mine was big into the car audio competitions. He said most of the competitors removed their tags as soon as they arrived, because it had happened several times that people would get the tag number, get their personal info and come to their home and steal the car, or stereo systems.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 20th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

As soon as they stuck it back on to drive away, anyone can just write it down then. It seems silly to me.

If someone wants your shit that bad, they're probably gonna get it anyway
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 20th, 2007, 01:18 PM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore Ranger
As soon as they stuck it back on to drive away, anyone can just write it down then. It seems silly to me.

If someone wants your shit that bad, they're probably gonna get it anyway
I agree, but that doesn't stop me from locking the door to my house. It is a deterant, but not absolute protection (same with the Rottie behind the door). I think the blanking the tag out, or taking it off is the same idea, just making it more difficult...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat