Strange possible central locking problem, '04 D2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 18th, 2014, 10:21 AM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Strange possible central locking problem, '04 D2

Before I start I have a dead actuator (dead on the unlock side, lock works) on the Left/Rear door, that's not the problem here.

Starting yesterday, it seems that my central unlock has stopped working... key fob only disables alarm and button on dash (for unlock) does nothing. To actually unlock doors I need to use the key (from the outside) or open the doors via handle from the inside.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 18th, 2014, 10:41 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
either the ecu or you've lost a fuse. the actuator simply receives a + feed from the central lock ECU. it's unlikely all your actuators failed at the same time. focus on the ecu after confirming fuses are good

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old November 18th, 2014, 10:46 AM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Thanks Mark. Will check fuses tonight. Am I right to assume the "lock" and "unlock" sides are on different circuits?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 18th, 2014, 12:43 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
I would check the header junctions in the main harness on the passenger side. Remove the kick panel trim and you should see a big harness wrapped in plastic/rubber. Cut away the plastic to expose the four or so header junctions in the harness and see if there are any broken wires or corrosion.

Fwiw I have seen a vehicle with five bad actuators.
Old November 19th, 2014, 10:35 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

pulled the fuse for the Central locking circuit, heard a click, replaced (non-blown) fuse. All was well. Everything worked as it should. Went outside a few hours later to get something from inside, no response from remote (other than lights flashing). I pulled the fuse again (not blown) replaced and still dead. I'm thinking its cold weather related...
Old November 20th, 2014, 11:59 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Another update... Wifey drove it today, once it was warmed up, put the fuse back in everything (other than the known bad actuator) worked. Something being cold is definitely causing this. So weird.
Old December 1st, 2014, 02:01 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstrubl View Post
Another update... Wifey drove it today, once it was warmed up, put the fuse back in everything (other than the known bad actuator) worked. Something being cold is definitely causing this. So weird.
Met up with Rovertek last week when I was on the island, he disabled superlock and auto locking upon reaching 4mph, it seemed fixed. But then it got cold the next day and was doing the same thing. BCU going bad is the current theory, thoughts?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat