Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 28th, 2015, 02:50 PM
]-[ @ n $
Hans
Hunting

Registry
Store it or sell it?

Well boys, I just landed a gig in Germany. Moving in April. I've already contacted an LR dealer about building a loaded, German-spec, 110. I'll add a safety devices cage to it for some added security.

While that makes me happy, I am really torn up about selling my '97 NAS D90. If I try to buy one when we come back to the states (in 5-10 years) I doubt I'll be able to afford it - assuming I can even find one this clean and rust free. And the one I am going to buy in Germany can't come back with me until it's 25.

Storing my NAS 90 inside is going to cost a mint. Even if I can find an affordable way to do it, do I want to let it sit for years on end without running?

I'm truly conflicted and could use some help working this out. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 28th, 2015, 02:55 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Any friends or family you could "store" it with, in exchange for less $$ who would drive it every so often and have it serviced?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 28th, 2015, 03:02 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I've been paying to store an old Alfa GTV to the tune of 200/mo for the last 7+ years. Yes, this bothers me, but trying to replace that car would bother me more. Just bite the bullet on the storage you can accept cost/condition wise, pull the battery, add some fuel stabilizer, and just wait to enjoy your truck until you get back.

Also, I've got a buddy selling his 2008 110 this year for something in the low 20's in USD. I could put you in touch if you like.

Where will you be in Germany?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 28th, 2015, 03:05 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ View Post
Well boys, I just landed a gig in Germany. Moving in April. I've already contacted an LR dealer about building a loaded, German-spec, 110. I'll add a safety devices cage to it for some added security. While that makes me happy, I am really torn up about selling my '97 NAS D90. If I try to buy one when we come back to the states (in 5-10 years) I doubt I'll be able to afford it - assuming I can even find one this clean and rust free. And the one I am going to buy in Germany can't come back with me until it's 25. Storing my NAS 90 inside is going to cost a mint. Even if I can find an affordable way to do it, do I want to let it sit for years on end without running? I'm truly conflicted and could use some help working this out. Any thoughts?
Why not take the NAS truck to Germany as a second vehicle?

Cheaper than storage and you'll be able to benefit from cheaper parts in Europe to maintain it. Im also sure that it would be a very popular vehicle at German events ..,
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old February 28th, 2015, 03:25 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
Why not take the NAS truck to Germany as a second vehicle?

Cheaper than storage and you'll be able to benefit from cheaper parts in Europe to maintain it. Im also sure that it would be a very popular vehicle at German events ..,
And have a TD5 swap done while you are there.
Old February 28th, 2015, 03:50 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
screw it - I will drive it for you when you are gone.
Old February 28th, 2015, 03:57 PM
budzny
Real4X4
NAS 97 ST/NAS 93 110/62
Birthday Committee Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
I've been paying to store an old Alfa GTV to the tune of 200/mo for the last 7+ years. Yes, this bothers me, but trying to replace that car would bother me more. Just bite the bullet on the storage you can accept cost/condition wise, pull the battery, add some fuel stabilizer, and just wait to enjoy your truck until you get back.

Also, I've got a buddy selling his 2008 110 this year for something in the low 20's in USD. I could put you in touch if you like.

Jim, 7 years already your in Germany? Time flies!

Sal
Old February 28th, 2015, 04:17 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Actually 5 in Germany, one in Afghanistan, 15 months in Boston, it's easier to make broad generalizations.

WRT driving a NAS truck over here, 13-14mpg gets old at 6-8 dollars per gallon.

Store it. Buy a diesel. Be happy both home and abroad.

Old February 28th, 2015, 04:49 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
I'm sure you'll receive plenty of "ideas" via PM. I probably wouldn't just store mine for 5-10 years, as much as it would suck to have to sell it.

Honestly, personally, I'd either sell mine or give it to my parents or one of my brothers while I'm gone, but I wouldn't just store it. I certainly trust any of them enough to take care of it in my absence, they'd have fun with it, it'd be "free-ish" and since I don't consider mine a museum piece I'd be ok if I came back to it with a few more character scars. Or (not sure if you've considered this) I'd send it off for a long-long-term restoration, which may be able to be achieved for a bit cheaper since the shop wouldn't have a short deadline.
Old February 28th, 2015, 04:51 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

Sell it, by the time you come back a nice example of a 25 year old truck...1995 defender 110 with 300tdi.. Will be legal, bring it back with you as a personal import until your built 110 is eligible ..
Old February 28th, 2015, 05:08 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Actually 5 in Germany, one in Afghanistan, 15 months in Boston, it's easier to make broad generalizations.

WRT driving a NAS truck over here, 13-14mpg gets old at 6-8 dollars per gallon.

Store it. Buy a diesel. Be happy both home and abroad.
Seems like yesterday you were in Moscow.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old February 28th, 2015, 05:16 PM
]-[ @ n $
Hans
Hunting

Registry
Thanks for the feedback. I don't have any friends or family with a spare garage so storage would be paid. Then I have to worry about billing mishaps that could land my truck on Storage Wars.

I hadn't considered shipping it over because I thought it would be nearly impossible to get it through German inspection. If this is a viable option, I'd probably do it. Anyone have experience bringing a NAS D90 to Europe - and then getting it back home?
Old February 28th, 2015, 05:18 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. I don't have any friends or family with a spare garage so storage would be paid. Then I have to worry about billing mishaps that could land my truck on Storage Wars. I hadn't considered shipping it over because I thought it would be nearly impossible to get it through German inspection. If this is a viable option, I'd probably do it. Anyone have experience bringing a NAS D90 to Europe?
Look for a seller of American cars in Germany. I'm sure there is a following for the crap that gets made here. Track back to the process ...
Old February 28th, 2015, 06:28 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

I am sure someone here would be happy to store it for you.

Old February 28th, 2015, 07:22 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Or (not sure if you've considered this) I'd send it off for a long-long-term restoration, which may be able to be achieved for a bit cheaper since the shop wouldn't have a short deadline.
That's a terrible idea. It will sit at the shop and never be worked on. When he is ready to pick it up, it will be quickly thrown together. The worst thing you can ever tell a mechanic is that you aren't in any hurry.
Old February 28th, 2015, 07:26 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. I don't have any friends or family with a spare garage so storage would be paid. Then I have to worry about billing mishaps that could land my truck on Storage Wars. I hadn't considered shipping it over because I thought it would be nearly impossible to get it through German inspection. If this is a viable option, I'd probably do it. Anyone have experience bringing a NAS D90 to Europe - and then getting it back home?
A quick google search essentially says you need to to mod the lights to euro spec. White markers on the front, fog light on the rear and euro spec headlights. All that should be straight forward and cost under a few hundred bucks.

The other bit is emissions ... What I read is that it's year related and a rule of thumb is if your vehicle was Cali compliant you should be good. Worse case if it can't meet the requirement it gets charged the highest tax banding annually. Don't know what that is but at least you'd get the vehicle into Germany with you.

Uncle Doug would be the prime re-import guy and he's mentioned many times that a U.S. citizen bringing back their vehicle to the U.S. Is a much easier and less restrictive than the import fiascos that we read about.

At some point I'll probably take my truck to France ... I expect that to be a completely irrational process ... At least the German process would be clearly understood by everyone involved. :-)
Old February 28th, 2015, 07:35 PM
]-[ @ n $
Hans
Hunting

Registry
Quote:
Thank you for the thought. I'm going for a brand new one. Kind of a once in a lifetime deal.

Quote:
Ramstein.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
A quick google search essentially says you need to to mod the lights to euro spec. White markers on the front, fog light on the rear and euro spec headlights. All that should be straight forward and cost under a few hundred bucks.

The other bit is emissions ... What I read is that it's year related and a rule of thumb is if your vehicle was Cali compliant you should be good. Worse case if it can't meet the requirement it gets charged the highest tax banding annually. Don't know what that is but at least you'd get the vehicle into Germany with you.

Uncle Doug would be the prime re-import guy and he's mentioned many times that a U.S. citizen bringing back their vehicle to the U.S. Is a much easier and less restrictive than the import fiascos that we read about.

At some point I'll probably take my truck to France ... I expect that to be a completely irrational process ... At least the German process would be clearly understood by everyone involved. :-)
Thank you for the info. Right now, this is looking like my best option.
Old February 28th, 2015, 09:18 PM
D90_982
Chad
1994 ST #982 (SOLD)

I will take it from you.

Use it as a 3rd car.

Maintain it with Trevor (Roverlab here).

Pay to ship it back to you.

I'll pay insurance.

Win win.
Old February 28th, 2015, 11:48 PM
jomugi
Joshua
none

store it. plain simple.

Quote:
Well boys, I just landed a gig in Germany. Moving in April. I've already contacted an LR dealer about building a loaded, German-spec, 110. I'll add a safety devices cage to it for some added security.

While that makes me happy, I am really torn up about selling my '97 NAS D90. If I try to buy one when we come back to the states (in 5-10 years) I doubt I'll be able to afford it - assuming I can even find one this clean and rust free. And the one I am going to buy in Germany can't come back with me until it's 25.

Storing my NAS 90 inside is going to cost a mint. Even if I can find an affordable way to do it, do I want to let it sit for years on end without running?

Its very simple look at what is going on when it comes to purchasing one of this trucks am not a dealer but its just brutal its the new wild west store it plain simple.

------ Follow up post added February 28th, 2015 08:57 PM ------

This trucks are very affordable and easy to find out of the US i own a 110 in kenya and when i am away its in my garage cost compared to what its going for in the USA un believable any way it is what it is ,am trying to find one for use in the US while i have one sitting in a garage .i cant ship it over its less than 25
Old March 1st, 2015, 02:50 AM
Blueboy
James Thompson
1994 RR LWB

Registry
Bring it with you. We brought our 94 RRC LWB to Switzerland as personal goods and no tax when importing. The changes mentioned can be done in Germany before you take for inspection and registration. I had the local LR dealer handle the inspection for me as they had some clout with the inspection folks. As example my MT-Rs are 265/75-16 which are larger than stock and have no noise rating mark. Inspection failed until the dealer folks handled the situation. No new tires had to be bought. Much better than sitting unused in the US. PM me if I can help more.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat