Store it or sell it? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 1st, 2015, 02:59 AM
CMSgt Bo
Bo
1985 One Ten

Are you authorized US government contracted shipping and USAEUR plates? If so your vehicle does not have to meet German specs. It's only the UK that makes US military change your lights.

My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 1st, 2015, 01:04 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Plenty of people have exported their trucks back to Europe with their reassignments. User mightymo brought his 1997 over to Europe a few years ago then sold it to a couple in Germany to find his 130 purchase.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...d90-43557.html
Old March 1st, 2015, 04:29 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
You should probably PM me with more details of the move, your status, etc. Bringing the truck shouldn't be a problem in any case, but it's easier to give advice if I know what you're doing. Also check out the expat fora at toytowngermany.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 1st, 2015, 05:59 PM
]-[ @ n $
Hans
Hunting

Registry
Thanks again for the additional info, Gents. I'll check out the links. I'm not in the military so some of the options out there aren't available to me.

I just had a thought. If I could bring back a clean 1993 D110, I don't think I would miss my 90. I don't care about NAS vs ROW. A '93 would certainly be 25 years old by the time we return.
Old March 2nd, 2015, 01:23 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Good old 110s are hard to find and expensive, and more so once they reach age 25. You'll look for one the whole time you're here to come up with something you're really happy with.

Old March 2nd, 2015, 01:45 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
This is a no brainer decision if I were in your shoes. sell the NAS, and buy one that will just become legal for import on your expected return date. You'll have plenty of time to find a good LHD one over there and fully outfit it exactly as you want it. If you stay long enough you can get a factory 300 tdi so the original engine spec is in there for reimportation. This is your chance to buy a row after having seen it in person, and a load of expertise over there.

And if your employer will be for return shipping of a vehicle, bonus.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old March 2nd, 2015, 06:11 PM
]-[ @ n $
Hans
Hunting

Registry
Sadly, the cost of shipping cars over (and back) is mine to bear. My company isn't covering any part of it. I just read that I would have to pay 10% of my car's value along with 19% VAT (which I will be exempt from) in order to bring my NAS 90 over. Pretty sure that's a deal breaker.
Old March 2nd, 2015, 06:53 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ View Post
Sadly, the cost of shipping cars over (and back) is mine to bear. My company isn't covering any part of it. I just read that I would have to pay 10% of my car's value along with 19% VAT (which I will be exempt from) in order to bring my NAS 90 over. Pretty sure that's a deal breaker.
The value of your car in Europe is probably much lower, so you probably wouldn't pay too much in tax.
Old March 2nd, 2015, 07:08 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
One salient point. If you do take your truck out of the US, know that any truck outside the US for more than 12 mos is treated like an import not a returning vehicle. IE be sure to keep it original.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old March 2nd, 2015, 09:08 PM
]-[ @ n $
Hans
Hunting

Registry
That's solid info. Thank you!
Old March 2nd, 2015, 09:21 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Dang! Good to know!

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old March 2nd, 2015, 09:22 PM
Matt_110
Matt

I was stationed at Ramstein. Solid point on the inspection. The German inspectors on base are very thorough, but it's not impossible to pass. The Auto Skills center was doing a very primative light conversion (rear fog light is mandatory there), but it is easily reversible when you come back CONUS...I had it done to my GMC Typhoon. Best of luck!. It won't be seen as true "import" when you come back since it is a US model. It will likely be shipped with dozens of other military member's vehicles by the same carrier. However, if you lose your EPA stickers you will have a hard time even if you have video of it rolling of the dealership lot.
Old March 2nd, 2015, 09:43 PM
]-[ @ n $
Hans
Hunting

Registry
Yeah, I'm calling the game on bringing my 90 to Germany. It's staying here. So is my 2011 GLK350 - which I am certainly going to sell (if I can).

I guess I need to sit down and do some soul-searching. I fly on 1 May.

This sucks. Don't get me wrong, the opportunity for my family is worth it but the sacrifice is tough.
Old March 2nd, 2015, 09:56 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

One of the options was to sell and then import one of similar year (97) in 2022... one thing to keep in mind is that it is more than likely that your current truck will still be legal/drivable, but I really doubt this 25 year rule be in effect later... just my personal opinion looking at the state of things... just take California for example... don't you think it will be much stricter in another decade? We sure ain't moving back...

And this isn't my preference---but it sure seems like a real possibility...
Old March 2nd, 2015, 10:18 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

I would sell now as storing a NAS D90 with V8 will age ungracefully and have all sorts of electrical/ECU/EFI issues 5 or 10 years from now.

If it were a ROW diesel the answer would be different, but an EFI V8, let go of the force Luke, let it go, sell it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
This is a no brainer decision if I were in your shoes. sell the NAS, and buy one that will just become legal for import on your expected return date. You'll have plenty of time to find a good LHD one over there and fully outfit it exactly as you want it.
As far as advice is concerned, it doesn't get any better!

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old March 2nd, 2015, 10:29 PM
asetliff
Adam Setliff
2A 109 Four Door 07 RRSC

I'll store it in my garage in Dallas. Drive it to work once in a while.
Old March 2nd, 2015, 11:42 PM
SonnyAK
Sonny
1993 NAS 110

Registry
If I were in your shoes, I'd sell it for a sweet profit and pick up a cool 130 to drive and bring back once you're ready to return!!

That said, I wouldn't worry too much about long term storage...as long as it's somewhere dry, you'd be ok, especially if someone could periodically (every 6 months) get it out for a couple of days and exercise it. I keep 3 cars in Kentucky (a 1966, 1978 and 2009) and only get down every 6 months to see family and friends. When I do, I get each car out and run it for a few days, and they all have really done well. Clean oil, serviced, over inflated tires, fresh gas with stabil, on a good tender, under a decent cover in a dry environment, and you'd be good...

In you shoes though, I'd sell it and bring back a sweet 130!!!

Good luck and let us know what you do!!
Old March 5th, 2015, 04:37 PM
]-[ @ n $
Hans
Hunting

Registry
Kills me to type the words... I have to stop being such a selfish asshole, cut the truck loose, and use the funds to make sure my family and I can be free to fully experience our time in Europe. I'd rather die with great memories than great toys.

THANK YOU for all of your input. This has been a process and you guys really helped me consider all points. That should reduce the regret I am sure to feel.

I'll get it cleaned up and post a sale thread with detailed photos this weekend.
Old March 5th, 2015, 04:49 PM
SonnyAK
Sonny
1993 NAS 110

Registry
Sounds like you have your priorities right with a good plan. I'm sure you'll sell it nicely and come back with something else fun!! Good luck!
Old March 5th, 2015, 05:06 PM
D90_982
Chad
1994 ST #982 (SOLD)

PM me if you want to own it or keep an option to own it in perpetuity.

You "keep" it at my house and I'll get it serviced for 60 months as agreed.

I'll reimburse you for insurance and registration, et.

I just want the ability to match the price if you sell - keep in mind, you can sell at anytime.

If you don't need money today this is your best option, if you believe prices will rise over the next 5 years. (There's not one person on this forum who doesn't believe that

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat