Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 8th, 2014, 04:16 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Well hopefully his mad skills will help find this 130.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 8th, 2014, 04:40 PM
waveridin1959
Brian Jones
1995 D-90 ST #2892

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Well hopefully his mad skills will help find this 130.
Josh has a very particular set of skills. Ones he has acquired over a very long career. He is actually Liam Neeson.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	taken.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	10.7 KB
ID:	92674  

“Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together… mass hysteria!”
Old April 8th, 2014, 04:47 PM
Craigd
Craig Dickson
1995 D90 Red Soft top

Registry
I was doing some work at a pot growing operation here in Denver and the tenant had two very mean dogs. The tenant said even with all the security cameras in place they were getting broken into. Once they got the dogs, no more break-ins. Felt sorry for the dogs though, not a very good life for them.

I hope you get your truck back. I think the work you do is cool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 8th, 2014, 04:59 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigd View Post
I was doing some work at a pot growing operation here in Denver and the tenant had two very mean dogs. The tenant said even with all the security cameras in place they were getting broken into. Once they got the dogs, no more break-ins. Felt sorry for the dogs though, not a very good life for them.

get geese ... people have no idea how to respond to a flock of aggressive geese ...
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old April 8th, 2014, 04:59 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigd View Post

x2 We've got one of these at home..Number of houses on our street got broken into all with alarms and security cameras and our house got skipped.. hell we haven't had a trick or treater in 5 years since we got the dog.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cane_Corso

Hope you get it back...
Old April 8th, 2014, 06:07 PM
RX6RCROL
Matthew Hedrick
1994 D-90 #646

Registry
Can't believe they torched the lock, sparks flying and all. Unlikely they would have been gone in 60 seconds("That's not a tool, that's a damn brick!"). Probably professionals none the less. Sorry for the loss.
Old April 8th, 2014, 06:57 PM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Lets hope that they werent British hoods:

Was an RS5

Old April 8th, 2014, 07:07 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Gyppos
Old April 8th, 2014, 07:11 PM
Iamkraig
Kraig
1987 defender 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix37 View Post

x2 We've got one of these at home..Number of houses on our street got broken into all with alarms and security cameras and our house got skipped.. hell we haven't had a trick or treater in 5 years since we got the dog.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cane_Corso

Hope you get it back...
Spent some time in Honduras where most every house had an armed guard. Asked about dogs and they said they just shoot them.

Always thought a sign that reads "warning...aids infested mosquitoes" would be a deterrent...
Old April 10th, 2014, 10:46 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Milks View Post
In Miami the Auto theft business was a bit crazy. It seems that some of the gangs had a want list of cars that their client base wanted. It was particularly specific on trim and colors. Once one of those cars was stolen it was never found. My neighbor had a Toyota LC that was stolen. He had a alarm and lojack. The car was never recovered. Two weeks later he had a new Toyota LC via the insurance company. It was stolen a few days after he got it. It too was never recovered.
Auto theft as a "business" is a bit crazy everywhere. It's just an extension of the salvage industry really, meeting the specific demands of end users.
Alarms are cute. They make pretty noises, and may even keep the car from starting... if you don't unplug them. And it works great for your inner city joyriders, but Lojack is a joke to someone in this "business".

But when there is a Buy Here-Pay Here lot on every corner selling PT Cruisers and Dodge Neons to anyone with $99 dollars down- and they are putting GPS in them to make it easier on the repo man- there is NO FUCKING EXCUSE that any shop that specializes in imports, makeovers and sales of one of the most easily stolen vehicles on the planet can't offer the same. But no we want moar LEDz and back up camz yo!

No Aaron/Himalaya/whoever may not own this $150000+ truck but obviously it was left in their custody and... seriously... one fucking lock was all that kept it safe?
To a car thief, time is everything, you don't spend one second more than you need. I would like to see what kind of lock this was that the fastest option was to torch it. People can say what they want about ECR, and their high profile, nose in the air operation, but I can't remember any Defenders boosted from their lot!

I would also like to hear Pedro say "Himalaya you got some splanin to do!"
Old April 10th, 2014, 11:04 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

If anything as it relates to the gate lock...why would someone go through all the trouble to burn through a lock...? doesn't make sense most anyone with an hour and a half can train themselves with Google self help to pick a lock...I seriously doubt the lock was super high tech considering the lack of (assuming here) "other" security...and yeah no dogs...makes no sense for a dog to be poisoned or otherwise harmed...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	images (12).jpg
Views:	117
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	92832  
Old April 11th, 2014, 07:09 AM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

Not to make light of the situation, but... Anyone seen a big airplane from Malaysia??
(No malice towards any families intended)

Consider this, two days with knowledgable Defender guys, and this 130 could be a 110 CC, and pull up on the crime scene unnoticed?! Change color and wheels on the CC, and the owner would be hard put to know the origin, except for those 'individual' builder nuances...

Just saying, and I suppose that is what makes them so 'popular' to the thieves in the UK!!

Old April 11th, 2014, 08:47 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viggen View Post
Lets hope that they werent British hoods:

Was an RS5

Talk about an endorsement for a cordless Sawzall.
Old April 11th, 2014, 08:53 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by crown14 View Post
But when there is a Buy Here-Pay Here lot on every corner selling PT Cruisers and Dodge Neons to anyone with $99 dollars down- and they are putting GPS in them to make it easier on the repo man- there is NO FUCKING EXCUSE that any shop that specializes in imports, makeovers and sales of one of the most easily stolen vehicles on the planet can't offer the same. But no we want moar LEDz and back up camz yo!
We sold a car at our dealership to a "high risk" customer, and her loan company came out and had two GPS devices installed. The guy told me that people usually only look for one GPS device, so if the customer finds one, they likely won't look for a second one. Pretty clever idea in my opinion.
Old April 11th, 2014, 09:16 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
We sold a car at our dealership to a "high risk" customer, and her loan company came out and had two GPS devices installed. The guy told me that people usually only look for one GPS device, so if the customer finds one, they likely won't look for a second one. Pretty clever idea in my opinion.
Jimmy - do you have a link to what GPS system is installed these days? Is it tracked by an app or is it first necessary to call 911 so the police track it.
Old April 11th, 2014, 11:10 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
Jimmy - do you have a link to what GPS system is installed these days? Is it tracked by an app or is it first necessary to call 911 so the police track it.
No, it was a third party that did all of the work. It can definitely be tracked. The GM can log into a website and track the vehicle live.
Old April 11th, 2014, 11:34 AM
bradfordish
Bradford
95 D90 SW #141

Registry
If they are that "high risk", why would the lender even bother?! The APR must be insane!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
No, it was a third party that did all of the work. It can definitely be tracked. The GM can log into a website and track the vehicle live.
Old April 11th, 2014, 12:04 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I'm curious how those gps devices work hidden when gps receivers need line of sight.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old April 11th, 2014, 12:11 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
I'm curious how those gps devices work hidden when gps receivers need line of sight.
I wonder if they are more of a gsm beacon then a gps.

------ Follow up post added April 11th, 2014 12:12 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaughva View Post
If they are that "high risk", why would the lender even bother?! The APR must be insane!
Ah this is the 'lifestyle' demographic!
Old April 11th, 2014, 12:55 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaughva View Post
The APR was somewhere between 26-29%. The customer had two bankruptcies in the past ten years and multiple repos.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
130, defender