Stolen Defender 130 - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 7th, 2014, 12:06 PM
101stAirborne
Battle Ewing
1997 D90 LE 255/300

Registry
It's gonna turn up, but with a different VIN, different paint, different wheels, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 7th, 2014, 12:18 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Time to review the insurance policies…

Saddened to hear about the theft - hope it's found quickly or the insurance settles at Ebay pricing values.
Old April 7th, 2014, 12:21 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mybluett View Post
Time to review the insurance policies…

Saddened to hear about the theft - hope it's found quickly or the insurance settles at Ebay pricing values.
for my sake I hope so!

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 7th, 2014, 12:29 PM
Ben01
Ben
Defender

Really sorry to hear.

I think the rules for the sightings thread should be revamped as it is not the best practice to identify with location (and sometimes include google map screenshots) trucks parked in driveways or seemingly regular parking spaces.

I got attacked a few years back over this issue, but if thieves are even occasionally targeting Defenders to ship out of the country the sightings thread would be a great place to locate trucks.

I do also remember a thread where people were jumping on Himalaya for not having his shop open for inspection.

If someone can get this 130 out of the country in a container I doubt it will ever be recovered. We should hope it was stolen by amateurs.
Old April 7th, 2014, 12:33 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Chances are it was some hooligans that took it for a joy ride and it's sitting in a ditch.

If it got stolen for parts... That's big cojones.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old April 7th, 2014, 12:41 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben01 View Post
Really sorry to hear.

I think the rules for the sightings thread should be revamped as it is not the best practice to identify (and sometimes include google map screenshots) trucks parked in driveways or seemingly regular parking spaces.

I got attacked a few years back over this issue, but if thieves are even occasionally targeting Defenders to ship out of the country the sightings thread would be a great place to locate trucks.

I do also remember a thread where people were jumping on Himalaya for not having his shop open for inspection.

If someone can get this 130 out of the country in a container I doubt it will ever be recovered. We should hope it was stolen by amateurs.
It's on EBAY for $159K - with a general location listed. It doesn't get much better for advertising to everyone with a computer - customer and thief alike. No need to look on forums for cars to steal… If the insurance pays out at the asking price then Himalaya is only out a customer and can build another one.
Old April 7th, 2014, 12:42 PM
Ben01
Ben
Defender

If stolen for parts it was likely done by someone on this board!
Old April 7th, 2014, 12:45 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
errrr, no. hooligans with a cutting torch when there are 1000's of easily jacked hondas etc to choose from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dro View Post
Chances are it was some hooligans that took it for a joy ride and it's sitting in a ditch.

If it got stolen for parts... That's big cojones.
Old April 7th, 2014, 12:46 PM
Ben01
Ben
Defender

Quote:
It's on EBAY for $159K - with a general location listed. It doesn't get much better for advertising to everyone with a computer - customer and thief alike. No need to look on forums for cars to steal…
So the thieves that located the 130 through ebay would have been unable to find it through a forum that can be searched through google? Sure the truck had more exposure on ebay and through Himalaya's marketing, but if a person was looking for a defender to steal the sightings thread would be a great place to start.

See below:

https://www.google.com/search?q=defe...nder+sightings

https://www.google.com/search?q=defe...source&spell=1
Old April 7th, 2014, 12:48 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
errrr, no. hooligans with a cutting torch when there are 1000's of easily jacked hondas etc to choose from?
The D is cooler looking and more bragging rights than a rice burner.

Again... This is a very small community and to pull a stunt like this... BIG COJONES

Old April 7th, 2014, 01:06 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben01 View Post
So the thieves that located the 130 through ebay would have been unable to find it through a forum that can be searched through google?
No, one could find a truck through an enthusiast forum registry or "spotted" thread - but my perspective is that it would be much easier to find a truck with a value attached on Ebay or CL… No need to spend time searching forums for a vehicle that may be worth $30K when you can clearly see implied value on a for sale site.
Old April 7th, 2014, 01:13 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
I hate to be the one to play Devil's advocate, but with the amount of government involvement in the Rover world recently, and in particular the Wilmington, NC area, is there any chance this 130 may simply have been seized?

Just putting it out there.....

Please feel free to visit my website at:

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Old April 7th, 2014, 01:29 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
What a shame. Will had close to 900 hours of work in that truck back when it looked like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	157.6 KB
ID:	92591  

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I don't think the govt would seize with a torch under cloak of night without any notice.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
willtillery
WILL TILLERY
TO MANY ROVERS

No way in hell.

The vehicle is 100 percent legit and has been in the STATES since 2011. Plus EVEN IF WE were discussing a questionable rig,,,Feds dont torch a lock, break windows on a Sunday night to seize a vehicle..

They show up on Monday... and make a scene.... and enjoy it.
Old April 7th, 2014, 01:56 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
Hey, I don't know the specifics. You all appear to be much more well informed I. I don't know the specifics on this 130 (how & who built, titled, etc.), or it's disappearance. I'm just positing a theory. Given the proximity, to recent events it seemed a plausible scenario.

If I'm wrong, then so be it. It was just a theory. That being said, what I will say is that Sunday night is also technically Monday morning, and despite that, I'm pretty sure there are Federal employees that work on the weekend.

Best of luck to the owner in tracking down the truck.

Please feel free to visit my website at:

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Old April 7th, 2014, 01:57 PM
Ben01
Ben
Defender

Quote:
No, one could find a truck through an enthusiast forum registry or "spotted" thread - but my perspective is that it would be much easier to find a truck with a value attached on Ebay or CL… No need to spend time searching forums for a vehicle that may be worth $30K when you can clearly see implied value on a for sale site.
I agree, but it is not significantly more difficult to search the thread through google for nice trucks. The photos are fine, but specific locations in regular parking spaces are unnecessary.
Old April 7th, 2014, 02:07 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
I don't think the govt would seize with a torch under cloak of night without any notice.
Yeah right, you're talking about the same goverment that used holograms to blow up buildings on 9/11.

https://danieltowsey.wordpress.com/t...-that-hit-911/

LOL
Old April 7th, 2014, 02:33 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willh View Post
I hate to be the one to play Devil's advocate, but with the amount of government involvement in the Rover world recently, and in particular the Wilmington, NC area, is there any chance this 130 may simply have been seized?

Just putting it out there.....
Sounds like this was stolen from Aaron's shop. Such a shame. I wonder if the CBP at the Wilmington ports can work to help spread the word at the docks to keep a look out for this one?
Old April 7th, 2014, 02:48 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Already in a container and headed for South/Central America.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
130, defender