Still looking: Fitting sizes for oil cooler lines - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 26th, 2005, 10:55 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Found: 3.9 oil cooler line pump threads.

Well, I THINK I found the info on this one, but I will be the guinea pig and test my theory with my own wallet. Found a website that specifically addressed the Rover V8 oil pump with fittings for remote cooler (http://www.team.net/www/mg/tech/v8/v8conv1.html) It gives the threading as 1/2" BSP which is slightly different than the 1/2" NPS that we deal with in the USA and not interchangable without adapters. I'll have to dig into past threads, somebody had mentioned the size for the fittings on the radiator side

1/2" BSP best matches up with -8AN hose which is just shy of 1/2" ID. I found some adapters at pegasusautoracing.com but I am sure there are others out there. I think -10AN might actually be the better bet though, why restrict the flow unnecessarily? I haven't found an exact ID For the 1/2" BSP fittings, I'll try to look that up as well.

Looks like I'll be doing my Setrab oil cooler upgrade sooner than expected.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 27th, 2005, 01:28 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Disregard, answered above.

Old January 27th, 2005, 07:34 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Hans, you may want to keep the hose size as close to the same as possible. If you make it bigger sure you're not restricting flow but do you think it might drop pressure?

As far as a remote oil cooler, I thought about the same thing but one thing has kinda held me back on the idea. With a remote oil cooler will you be cooling the oil too much? With the oil cooler in the radiator the oil never gets below the temp of the coolant, but mounted remotely it could drop allot. I am not 100% on this but I think with remote oil coolers it is normal to put a T-stat in line so that you can shunt the oil around the oil cooler until it reaches a certain temp. I don't mean to rain on your parade but I would hate to see you go through all this work just to cause yourself problems down the road. maybe you could put a bypass with a t-stat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 27th, 2005, 10:55 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Yes, I did have the same concerns also, and I plan on installing a remote thermostat in the system. Just a simple 2 lines in and 2 lines out, $95 for the thermostat setup. I was pleasantly surprised to find all the different options we have for the oil cooling system. I was able to find all sorts of different oil pump bases for remote filters, with thermostatic controls and everything. It seems that the British V8 tuners really know their stuff..... they just don't tell anybody in the US very much.

I know that some folks here have definite cooling issues, and this might be a big help. That factory oil cooler really doesn't do much in the way of cooling it appears.

-Hans

Old January 27th, 2005, 01:08 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Cool! watching closly and taking notes!
Old January 27th, 2005, 01:35 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Oh, I also found that Perma-Cool has a much cheaper thermostat at $40. But Mocal seems to have a good reputation, so I may spring for the better unit. I also found places that sell a kill switch setup. Oil pressure drops too low, and it shuts the engine down. Not 100% sure about that idea, I'd hate to have an unexpected shutdown in the fast lane during rush-hour.

Well, here is the current plan. I am going to keep the stock filter boss for now (too damned cold to do THAT again right now). I am going to remove the stock lines, and install 1/2" BSP to -10AN male-male adapters onto the filter boss. I'll run -10AN lines to the remote thermostat, then -10AN lines to a Setrab oil cooler mounted in front of the radiator. I haven't decided on the size yet.

I MIGHT go with -8AN lines only because there are a lot more options for gauge ports and such. I plan on putting a gauge port at the higest point between the pump and cooler so that I can use it as a remote fill point to prime the cooler and filter.

Just don't quote me on this yet, I still have to measure and plan out the hose routings as well as cooler mounting.

-Hans

Old January 28th, 2005, 01:40 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Just got confirmation from DJ Engine in the UK who do racing V8's based on the Rover.

He also says 1/2" BSP fittings on the oil cooler, ordered fittings and hoses today to replace the factory hose. New cooler and thermostat come later. Total price for all fittings, hoses, clamps and tool to do the Oediker (sp?) clamps..... $134.00

-Hans

Old February 2nd, 2005, 04:40 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Well, looks like all the "Experts" were wrong. 1/2" BSP fittings did NOT fit either the oil pump side or the radiator side on my 94. They were close, but not quite. It appears everything is 1/2" NPT all around, at least those fittings I can source locally.

Also, the oil fittings aren't permanent in the oil pump, it's just a sandwich plate. This is actually a GOOD thing. It means I can replace the existing part with Mocal #SP1T which has an integrated oil thermostat for $85 instead of a remote thermostat for $100.

-Hans

Follow-up Post:

Well, now I am totally f'n confused about these oil-pump side fittings.

Smaller than 1/2" BSP and NPT, but bigger than -8AN. Appears to be a straight thread.

What is this damned banjo fitting?

-Hans

Old February 4th, 2005, 11:11 AM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

Hans
After spending many sleepless nights trying to figure out Euro hydraulics i think you might be better off using the factory 'pipes' and having a suitable compression fitting put on the end of a new hose that will allow you to use the cooler fitting of your choice on the other end of the hose.. This is pretty common for the shopd that do power steering hose repais..
I plan to do a bit of research this week end but I can only assume that the 90 is the same as a Disco..

Perhaps you could give me a call this evening and we can compare notes..

Keith

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old February 4th, 2005, 12:19 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Well, I THINK it's something along the lines of 5/8" UNF threading on the sandwich plate. It's a straight thread, not a taper. I tried 1/2" BSP and 1/2" NPT which were a bit too big, -8AN is too small. The radiator side fittings were 1/2" NPT, but I am a bit concerned about the seal area. The pipe going in has an o-ring, which I think you will need to use for a regular fitting also. There is a male-male fitting there, I just haven't removed it yet to see what the female threads in the radiator are.

The reason I didn't want to use the factory pipes is that I want to upgrade the whole oil cooling system with a bigger cooler and a thermostat. I really have my doubts that the in-radiator cooling loop does much of anything useful. Without a thermostat in it, it actually slows the oil from reaching operating temperature, and once the coolant is heated up it may not do much at all to cool the oil since the oil cooler is on the HOT side of the radiator. Not to mention, if the coolant is hotter than the oil.... it will just be heating rather than cooling it.

But I did notice that the pump base just uses a regular sandwich plate style setup on it, which comes off. I'm changing the sandwich plate to solve that problem, I ordered a new Mocal sandwich plate #SP1T which has an integral thermostat in it. This will get me to a known standard threading which will give me a lot more options for cooler configurations. It also means I don't have to find a place to mount a remote thermostat for the oil which is worth the headache up till this point.

I'm thinking of typing this all up for the FAQ and the tech section, once I get it all figured out. Nobody in the MG or other Rover V8 forums had the answer to this.

-Hans

Old February 4th, 2005, 01:06 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Hey Hans, my oil lines go into the passenger side of the radiator, the cooler side. Do your's go into the drivers side?
Old February 4th, 2005, 01:20 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

LOL UK or US passenger side?

Passenger side, NAS '94 Defender. Just above the oil pump.

-Hans

Old February 4th, 2005, 02:33 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

If you save the steel lines at the sandwich adaptor end you can run what ever you like on the other end of the hoses attached to those pipes..

Either way I too have been curious about this. There is a better solution to what was done at the factory.. The tube/o ring fittings are a PITA and most Hydraulic shops won't mess with that end of the pipe..

www.cincorsystems.com up in Boulder will and may have the solution you need to get to AN fittings in an elegant manner..

Later
Keith

Old February 4th, 2005, 03:22 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

Hans, I just ordered a sandwich thermostat as above. Didn't realize the sandwich style was available, should work just fine. 8AN is the size of the aftermarket hoses I have from Rover Accessories.
Old February 4th, 2005, 04:02 PM
mhansen
Mike Hansen
97 D-90 SW #2243

Quote:
Originally Posted by revor
I plan to do a bit of research this week end but I can only assume that the 90 is the same as a Disco..
Kieth-

I just replaced the lines out of my '97 If you needed to compair. I know it's a trek from Longstown to H-Ranch but I have them sitting in the garage. I want to keep them, so I can have the rubber hoses replaced and swap them out when the current ones go bad should be around 2010

Mike
Old February 4th, 2005, 05:24 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

Thanks Mike I may take you up on that... Or perhaps a couple simple dimensions would suffice..

Lemme have a look over the weekend and we will see Wazzup..

Keith

Old February 8th, 2005, 08:26 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Just a follow-up on that Mocal sandwich plate. Mine arrived today, and despite what some US dealers are saying, the threading on the plate is 1/2" BSP threading. This time, I am positive, since the 1/2" BSP fittings I have fit perfectly.

Hopefully installing tomorrow, will take pictures.

-Hans

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat