Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 20th, 2010, 04:20 PM
BEIS
RYAN BEIS
D110 Soft Top with full rollcage

Registry
Stereo suggestions for a soft-top

Hey guys, was wondering if there are any suggestions for a stereo for STs? I have an automatic D110 ST, so the stereo needs to be water-proof and I want some great sound....maybe a removable face as well. I'd kind of like to put it on the dash, or maybe the center console. What do you guys think? I think maybe a flip cover for the face (like a boat has) for protection would be ideal as well. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 20th, 2010, 04:23 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
We are going to need to see pictures of this 110 ST (inside and out) before really being able to help, but a tuffy box is a good way to both secure it and keep it dry.
Old January 20th, 2010, 04:34 PM
BEIS
RYAN BEIS

Registry
I will get those pictures up soon man. Need to find an excuse to leave work early today to snap some.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 20th, 2010, 04:37 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I did alpine in mine with alpine speakers. I also have a tuffy and am very happy.
Old January 20th, 2010, 04:43 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

I ran the Bose patio speakers in the rear (sound great and can handle some power) and marine JVCs in the front. As you have seen, you can get a variety of marine receivers or a low rent one that does what you want and hope the center console will offer enough protection for a while.

The down side of the Bose are they take up room I sometimes wished I had when packing for long trips.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old January 20th, 2010, 05:04 PM
Lindy
Eric Lindstrom
1994 d-90 #1444

I've got an Alpine with removable face and some Polk Audio marine speakers in the rear.
Old January 20th, 2010, 09:29 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

marine speakers in custom tool boxes in the back as well as custom speaker boxes in the doors (I'm not using door panels) and a cheap $100 cd player/radio in a tuffy console. If I have to replace it every year it is no big loss.
And I love you too
Old January 20th, 2010, 09:34 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Ditto on the Tuffy stuff. I have a Tuffy console and rear speaker boxes with marine speakers mounted in both the rear boxes and console. Everything is secure and relatively water resistant.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old January 21st, 2010, 12:06 AM
BEIS
RYAN BEIS

Registry
pictures to help

Thanks guys for all of the great feedback! I went in to a custom audio place today and talked to an audio dude. Turns out I'll probably go with the Alpine Marine headpiece, then get two speakers for the front door cards, and two speakers for the rear tuffy consoles I have. As requested, I've included some pictures of the truck and of the front area I'm working with. Any suggestions on where to put the actual headpiece for the stereo? Thanks guys!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0324.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	24596   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0313.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	24597  

Old January 21st, 2010, 01:45 AM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Wow thats a great looking truck!
Old January 21st, 2010, 07:55 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
There are a few vendors that make "dash pods" to fit stereos. MudUK makes a plastic one, American Dirt Roads makes a pretty stout steel one, and then there is the "stock" plastic one. All mount in the center of the dash/storage area between your vents.

That pic of your truck makes me want to take the top off my 110!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old January 21st, 2010, 07:59 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEIS View Post
As requested, I've included some pictures of the truck and of the front area I'm working with. Any suggestions on where to put the actual headpiece for the stereo? Thanks guys!
A good start, but I'm going to need to see more pictures of the exterior before being able to help with this

Seriously we need more pictures of this truck! Is this the one that was red that came from PA?

I'd personally install a full in dash console myself if you want the stereo there.

http://www.mudstuff.co.uk/MUD_defender_console.shtml
Old January 21st, 2010, 08:36 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Yeah Ryan - get off your butt and take more pix. Also I can't assist until I can verify that the snorkel is hooked up to the intake.

What do you have for door panels? Are you using the stock NAS ones in the front? What about the rear doors? You'll really need to isolate the ones you put in the door to avoid just rattling the panel off. For the back I'd recommend some custom boxes like the ones made by ECR. If you have a hair on your ass you'll get them nicely fabbed and painted black. Don't let the stereo shop cut into your truck and make some lame-ass suggestions.

------ Follow up post added January 21st, 2010 01:37 PM ------

Oh, and nice fuzzy dice, all you need now is a barefoot gas pedal and some truck nutz.

Old January 21st, 2010, 08:37 AM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

The people around here know that I run the truck topless from about april to november and its not uncommon for me to show up to a happy hour in full rain suit or soaked. I have a low end Pioneer radio and XM tuner in the center console with middle of the road pioneer speakers with the aramid cones and such. Basically don't see a need to buy expensive marine speakers and radio. Only thing I wish I had was a tuffy center console.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Old January 21st, 2010, 08:54 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Go with the Mud UK center console, it will give you a place to mount extra switches, gauges, 12v outlets and your radio.

And it will cover up the holes I see in the dash

As for a radio, I went with one that had no CD player

no cd player = no / less moving parts and less ways for dust / moisture to get into the unit not to mention I can not remember the last time I used a CD for music.
Old January 21st, 2010, 11:21 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Ok, I'm going to make a public plea to stop helping Ryan until he produces more pictures of this beauty!
Old January 21st, 2010, 12:48 PM
BEIS
RYAN BEIS

Registry
Haha, thanks guys for all of the comments. I will definitely have to snap some more pictures soon. I have to fly tonight, so I probably won't be able to take more until tomorrow. There are some very good ideas in those links. I like the extra gauges placed on the mudUK. It's got me thinking of doing that combined with an audio and a CB radio up front. Anybody know if there is a weatherproof GPS system that could be dropped in? This thread has definitely started the wheels turning

------ Follow up post added January 21st, 2010 01:50 PM ------

Charles- You are correct, this was the red 110 from PA that I had restored by Stephen at Safari Rover in Orlando

Old January 22nd, 2010, 08:38 AM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Garmin makes a waterproof Nuvi that I'm looking at getting. https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=13424 https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=27442
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Old February 18th, 2010, 10:07 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Ryan,

Love the truck! Where are the pictures?
Old February 18th, 2010, 10:20 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Ryan, truck looks awesome, thanks to that ARB set up of course *LOL*

I've just bought a stereo for mine , a Jensen JDH3510, has CD and Ipod, also is Heavy Duty so would take bumps micely.
Got it on ebay NEW for 1/3 of the retail
Attached Images

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
stereo