Stereo in '97 ST - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 24th, 2005, 02:56 PM
cdy8
CD Young

Stereo in '97 ST

Am thinking of replacing my current CD player and speakers. Any advice or suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 24th, 2005, 03:02 PM
WCURoverD90
Jason Habbal
1997 Defender 90 #1104

I had a few shops locally as well as Best Buy and Circuit City tell me that it would not be a good idea to put an aftermarket CD player in the stock radio slot becuase it was completely vertical and once inside the CD's would move around to much causing a skip in the music. I ended up just getting the 6 disk changer.

Now if you are going to put it in the dash like i have seen a few people do. I just bought a pioneer last summer for my Toyota Tacoma that i like a lot. I haven't had it skip once on me. I think it was around 149 dollars and they put in for 15 bucks.

Hope this helps.

Land Rover-The Best 4x4xFar
Old February 24th, 2005, 03:21 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Do you have and I-Pod? If so, get any stereo that has an aux input and plug your I-Pod in instead of a cd. Works great.
I have a Sony CDX-MP70 that I moved from the console to the dash. It never ever skipped once in the console mount. I wheel with another guy who has the same radio and he too has no problems. Both rigs are 97's. I hope that helps.........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 24th, 2005, 04:14 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

I've got a cd player in a tuffy box (Vertical) and it doesn't skip on me (Don't know about off roading, can't concentrate with a radio...). If you're switching speakers in a ST just make sure they can take water on 'em.
Old February 24th, 2005, 04:50 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I'm planning on getting a Clarion M455 - its a marine receiver with improvements to stand up in a corrosive environment. I figure it would be just the thing for the not-so safe & dry enviroment in the d90.

Best thing is that the M455 has satellite radio, CD changer control, and i pod interface all built-in. I'm not an audiophile (is there such thing as a rover driving audiophile?) so I'm satisfied by the features and I dont care that it wont sound like a nakamichi.
Old February 24th, 2005, 05:04 PM
jorge
JORGE ESPINOZA
97 ST WHITE MODS SUPERCHARGED

Registry
I also went the marine route and bought a kenwood am/fm/cd/ radio for aprox 225.00.Radio is installed in the same position as the oem never had a problem or a skip on the cd player.I love the Mp3 player because It can hold up to 90 songs on one cd burned on my computer.
Old February 25th, 2005, 01:55 AM
boshea
Brian OShea
1995 Defender 90 ST

I have installed a couple of Blaupunkts in two different Defenders that I have owned and NEVER had any problems. The Blaupunkt in dash CD head units can also be mounted at an angle. I have mounted them in a locking Tuffy center console and the stock LR console...with no probs. Give the boys at Crutchfield a call...they will be happy to hook you up.
Old February 25th, 2005, 10:28 AM
cdy8
CD Young

Great input guys, thanks. Forgot about the ipod. Will definitely see about hooking mine up.
Old February 25th, 2005, 12:40 PM
souza
Dave Souza
1995 Defender 90 SW #275

Not that you seem to be going that way, but Brian is right about the Blaupunkts. All of them are designed to be mounted in extreme angles (I heard it's due to being OEM supplier for some mid-80's BMWs that had vertical mounted radios). There are others, I think crutchfield might list which head units can be mounted at angles. Most radios are recommended to be mounted relatively flat, although I dont' really know of anyone complaining of skipping too much.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
97, stereo