Stereo fitting in a TD5 Dash - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old June 11th, 2011, 02:04 PM
Ben01
Ben
Defender

Stereo fitting in a TD5 Dash

Does anyone know of a full lcd screen head unit that fits in the td5 dash?

I have seen them installed and was curious if someone had a unit they recommend. I have a pop out lcd screen and the clearance is tight when in 5th gear.

I don't want to cut the dash and would want as little spacer as possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 12th, 2011, 02:47 AM
Chaucer
Will
93 110 | 97 90

Are you looking for single or double DIN? The single DIN motorized flip up ones look like they'd fit well but I have not seen one in person to know what the clearances are.

The only double DIN sized one I know of is the custom one that ECR has makes for their in-house jobs. Some people have used the MUD UK Console.

While I like the idea of the double DIN size, it seems the placement is low and somewhat sub optimal. I wonder how they really look from the driver's seat?
Old June 12th, 2011, 03:39 PM
EWR
Carey
1954 CJ-3B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaucer View Post
Are you looking for single or double DIN? The single DIN motorized flip up ones look like they'd fit well but I have not seen one in person to know what the clearances are.

The only double DIN sized one I know of is the custom one that ECR has makes for their in-house jobs. Some people have used the MUD UK Console.

While I like the idea of the double DIN size, it seems the placement is low and somewhat sub optimal. I wonder how they really look from the driver's seat?
The angle of the photos on the website might make it appear to sit low. However, from the drivers seat etc,..they are just fine.....that's what I heard at least.
Advertisement

Old June 13th, 2011, 11:16 AM
Ben01
Ben
Defender

I was looking for a double din...I have a flip up now.

I was thinking there has to be a screen that would fit in perfectly. Thanks
Old June 13th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
IIRC all double din units have the same size ( Pioneer, Clarion, Alpine, Eclipse - I saw a Td5 fitted with an Eclipse one - , etc )
Old June 13th, 2011, 12:48 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

I believe there was 2 variations of TD5 dashes. Look at this pic http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...&postcount=149 I think this is the later one. I looks like the "knock out" is there for a double din. http://www.simmonites.com/Defender%20Interior.htm

Prior to commiting to a stereo I would look at the manual of the stereo and check the dimensions you need to fit in. I would then make a template out of cardboard and see if you can clear the wiring loom and whatever else you have there.
Old June 13th, 2011, 02:07 PM
Ben01
Ben
Defender

I will let you guys know...I have the knockout but not sure there is enough space. I was hoping someone had experience with a specific model that was a good fit.

The single flip out is very tight when in 5th just fyi for anyone considering it.
Old June 13th, 2011, 02:52 PM
Chaucer
Will
93 110 | 97 90

There is not enough space for a double din even if you remove the 'knock out'. It's *maybe* 1.5 din at the most. I have looked into this already. Also, the top of a double din receiver would have to start at the same point where a single din receiver starts as there is no more space vertically due to the angle of the dash/bulkhead. So it has to go down like ECR/MUD do it.

I wonder if a MUD fascia would work with a LR TD5 dash?
Old June 13th, 2011, 05:03 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...type=1&theater

look at the above pic.
Old June 13th, 2011, 05:21 PM
Ben01
Ben
Defender

I am going to get the exact measurements when I have a chance and then see what I can get to fit. I am sure there is an aftermarket dash console that will allow for a double din.
Old June 13th, 2011, 05:45 PM
EWR
Carey
1954 CJ-3B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post
IIRC all double din units have the same size ( Pioneer, Clarion, Alpine, Eclipse - I saw a Td5 fitted with an Eclipse one - , etc )
Was that in a stock, unmodified td5 dash?....I would like to see....
Old June 13th, 2011, 06:16 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Carey,

I don't know I was on that Td5 for about 1 minute, so I am not sure if it was stock , unmodified or not, looked like a stock, but I am sure you might know better.

The point I was making is ALL double din Nav units are same size ( at least the ones I've mentioned as I have had 3 out of the 4 ) installed in the same vehicle - no you can not know why *LOL* )
Old June 13th, 2011, 09:51 PM
EWR
Carey
1954 CJ-3B

Quote:
Carey,

I don't know I was on that Td5 for about 1 minute, so I am not sure if it was stock , unmodified or not, looked like a stock, but I am sure you might know better.

The point I was making is ALL double din Nav units are same size ( at least the ones I've mentioned as I have had 3 out of the 4 ) installed in the same vehicle - no you can not know why *LOL* )
Yup, double din is double din regardless of the make. I was just curious if there was a stock double din td5 dash from the factory...as I have not witnessed any...thanks.

Too high tech for me anyway,.....I still use a rotary phone.....
Old June 14th, 2011, 10:11 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Smile

Quote:
Carey,

I think the depth will be the issue.

------ Follow up post added June 14th, 2011 11:16 AM ------

Here is a quote taken from another board (from the manufacturer of the MUD dash)

Re: Double DIN units
This is a question we get asked frequently about the MUD Console.

The dimensions of the lower recessed panel are large enough to accept a double DIN unit, however, there is a catch! The sloping profile of the dash panel behind the MUD console means there is a diminishing amount of available room to accomodate the top half of the head unit. Without chopping the back of the dash panel out it's unlikely you'll get a Double DIN to slot far enough into the Console.

Hope this makes sense and saves you chopping the panel only to find it doesn't fit!
Kev B

------ Follow up post added June 14th, 2011 11:20 AM ------

Here is an idea: Keep the stereo you have and cut the shift lever down by a few inches and have it rethreaded.
Old June 14th, 2011, 11:42 AM
Chaucer
Will
93 110 | 97 90

What are the chanced ECR will make these available for mail order? Probably slim to none?
Old June 14th, 2011, 05:09 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Sorry, these are a major PITA to make and fit. There are a lot of factors not mentioned that cause more issues than discussed here. These are not a one time/ easy fit thing. They have to be worked and re-worked in order to fit. I see no way these could be made as generic one size fits all pieces. We have no plans or desire to sell these mail order.
Sorry.

Thanks.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old June 16th, 2011, 01:50 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Here is a better image of one of these we just installed on BR #6. For those who are doing this job: The radio we use (Alpine) can not go any higher, otherwise there would be no room for the hazard light switch plug (as it is that is hard to put on). The trim ring is not in place on this unit yet. Also most double DIN units do not sit flush with the dash. We want our units flush with the dash and that creates even more issues with the flip out function to load CD,DVDs. The trim ring has to be custom made. The factory unit will not fit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07157.jpg
Views:	8244
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	39715  

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old June 16th, 2011, 04:09 PM
EWR
Carey
1954 CJ-3B

Come on,.... all of those pieces are off the shelf....nothings custom. Why don't you mail order......
Old June 18th, 2011, 02:23 PM
Ben01
Ben
Defender

I was most concerned about the clearance in the back too...thanks guys.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
dash, stereo, td5