Steel or Synthetic? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

View Poll Results: Steel or Synthetic Line?
Steel 1 3.70%
Synthetic 26 96.30%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 3rd, 2016, 04:00 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
IMO.... If the "plan" is just to buy a cheap and slow winch that does not take a lot of cable, then who cares what rope it has on it. You are not planning to use it other than a once in a lifetime emergency. If you start wheeling where you actually use it everyday, you will go insane waiting for the stupid thing to spool in and move on to something decent. It is then that you will want synthetic. You are pulling line a lot and doing complex pulls.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 3rd, 2016, 04:33 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Unless you winch for a living or are winching in a race, gauging a winch by its "speed" is ridiculous. No safe recovery is made by rushing anything.
Old May 3rd, 2016, 04:49 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
Unless you winch for a living or are winching in a race, gauging a winch by its "speed" is ridiculous. No safe recovery is made by rushing anything.
If you winch a few times a day, you will go insane with a slow winch, at least in my opinion. I would much rather spend more time driving than waiting for a winch. It does not need to be racing. Just recreational wheeling where using a winch is commonly required. If that is not the type of wheeling you do, the one linked above should be a great choice. Spend the extra $20 on the nice cover.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 3rd, 2016, 05:21 PM
LR Max
Thomason, Max
1973 Series 3 109

Slow winches are usually cheap. Enjoy it when the solenoids fuse together...closed...and the thing is winching in uncontrollably. From experience, I can tell you that is fun scrambling to find a wrench to disconnect a battery. Oh and you can't just cut the cable. Although it does make for fun fireworks in ones face. But totally let your buddy do that, because then you can give him crap for it.

Also slow winches are a huge cause of trail traffic jams. I remember when tellico was open, it would take a fast winch to get a rig up Slickrock in about 10 minutes. A slow winch would require 45 minutes.

Fast "off the shelf" winches such as the 8274 or XD9000 or 9.5 (or whatever) really aren't like, lightening fast. We are taking 5 ft/min instead of 1 ft/min or whatever. Fast enough to get you out of trouble, but not fast enough to get you hurt, unless you aren't paying attention. The longer you are winching, the longer you are testing the limit of the duty cycle and the longer you are hanging out there.

My personal winch is a M12k. It is SSSSLLLLOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWW. Under heavy load, I wonder if it is even moving. So then half way through a hard pull, I gotta stop...hanging there...waiting for everything to cool off. A 8274, I would've been outta there and down the trail (I've got an old 8274 on my bench that I'm gonna build up with new components). Yes the M12k has been a beast, but I've learned I can sacrifice some unneeded capacity for needed speed.

As for synthetic. My rope is 15 years old. It has picked up at least 3 discos and put them back on the trail. Lord knows how many times its saved my skin. No idea why anyone wouldn't go with synthetic. So much easier to handle and deal with.
Old May 3rd, 2016, 05:59 PM
TMWTP
Jon
1989 One Ten

Registry
I would never consider running steel after using poly line. Safer, easier, lighter. And for the comment about getting it wet, the original application was ship mooring.

Sent from my HAL 9000 using Tapatalk
'12 Rockware 3-seat rock buggy - FOR SALE!
'13 LR4 - FOR SALE!
'83 110 - FOR SALE!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat