Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 31st, 2010, 06:01 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Stealth Wingbox

So I just saw this on a forum from our friends Down Under and thought what a great idea. Well, maybe not for some of you guys with really nice and newer Defenders, but for my aging 110, who cares? Great use of wasted space. This guy designed a storage box for the wing of his Defender. Looks like he is not interested in marketing this himself:

"I actually made it a couple of years ago before I knew of AULRO forum. I don't have the templates anymore and the tooling I made for forming up the checkerplate has been scrapped and turned into something else. I don't really want to pull it apart just to get measurements but maybe if I posted more detailed photos anyone with reasonable skills should be able to replicate it."

I hope he posts more pictures, I would like a set for my 110 and Series III. His name is Stealth on the AULRO forum in case anyone wants to look into it further. Maybe a fabricator here in the US? Hint hint.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Landy stuff 009.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	29785   Click image for larger version

Name:	Landy stuff 010.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	29786  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Landy stuff 011.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	29787   Click image for larger version

Name:	Landy stuff 014.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	29788  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 31st, 2010, 06:49 PM
lynchee
Dennis Lynch
94 D90 #699

Wow. That's awesome.
And I thought I was cool because I just moved the solenoids for my winch into the wing.
If I had any skills I would give it a shot...
Old July 31st, 2010, 08:26 PM
Cred
Clarence
1994 D90 #1057

Registry
Nice use of space! That is a great idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 31st, 2010, 10:22 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I am so going to do that! from what I can tell of these pictures, all I need is a spare right wing checker, a dremel with cutting blade, and a piano hinge.

Hello, American Dirt Roads, are you out there?
Old August 1st, 2010, 12:12 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
For those who don't have membership to AULRO forum, here is a snippet from Stealth:

".....being the alluminium, stainless steel hinge, nuts and bolts and panel steel for the inner panels which I then got zinc coated. The time involved starts with 'a lot'. It does stay pretty dry mainly because it can't be made dust or waterproof so I allowed for drainage. What water does leak in when driving leaks out the bottom. Because the bottom is not flat the water drains through the lowest point leaving the rest dry. I don't put anything in it that would damage with water anyway. It would no doubt flood with deep water driving. Even if it did get wet, the engine heat radiates into it so it dries quickly. I haven't tried it as a pie warmer yet but that is an option. Except when driving through deep water. Don't want soggy pies.

The small cut out in the corners was just to make it easier to fit the curve of the guard panels. I curved the edges to the limits of the guards both for extra strength as well as preventing water getting underneath even through they are sealed with silicone.

I would love to have the time to make some more as I think I would have no trouble selling them but the hours involved plus time fitting would be prohibitive to finding a reasonable cost."

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old August 1st, 2010, 02:31 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
I am so going to do that! from what I can tell of these pictures, all I need is a spare right wing checker, a dremel with cutting blade, and a piano hinge.
Well, the right side of the truck is out of the question unless you want to give up the air intake for your heater. You've also got the left side partially blocked by your washer bottle, and aren't you running a snorkel intake? Is there enough room left to warrant the trouble?

This is totally not my thing, but I appreciate a couple things he did to make a nice job of it. I like the way he ground down the chequer pattern on the lower plate so that the top would fit flush, and also the top plate has a nice radius on the inside edge.

------ Follow up post added August 1st, 2010 07:39 AM ------

He also made an attempt to match the chequer pattern on the two panels, which is definitely the right way to go about it.

Old August 1st, 2010, 07:27 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I'm thinking you could make a complete Tuffy style box with flat lid that just drops into the fender from above. These would be more for ROW trucks that do have the available space under one of the fenders.

Semper Fi!
Old August 1st, 2010, 07:46 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Well, the right side of the truck is out of the question unless you want to give up the air intake for your heater. You've also got the left side partially blocked by your washer bottle, and aren't you running a snorkel intake? Is there enough room left to warrant the trouble?
good point. I'll have to see what's remaining and available, but this kind of idea is totally my thing. I want to maximix non-cabin storage space on my vehicle, to spread the load of spares, tools and recovery gear, while keeping the center of gravity as low as possible and maximizing interior cabin space for people moving.
Old August 1st, 2010, 11:57 AM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Great idea, i guess it's a starting point and people will start making their own version of it. It will look even better with the top coming flush with the surrounding plate.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
wing