Stealership Mishap with Truck - advice needed - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old June 19th, 2016, 11:53 AM
97-D90-736
Nick Vogel
1997 D-90 / 2012 LR4

Stealership Mishap with Truck - advice needed

My daily driver is 2500 Chevy. Decided to use one of the free oil change / tire rotation services that GM gives you when you buy the truck so I could do other stuff over the weekend.

Pick up the truck in the service drive and proceed out on the main road. Immediately notice something is wrong; steering is sluggish and truck seems to be pulling.

Pull over and the passenger side front wheel is about to fall off. Lugs are barely on; finger tight at best.

Call the service guy and he gets a tech out there with a floor jack and electric impact.

Truck drives normal and I didnt have time to take the wheel off and inspect the studs but now I am wondering if I should be worried about those studs given the strain that they were put on and the long term implications. I know if something happens down the road, they wont own up to it.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 19th, 2016, 12:11 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
You'll be fine. Long term a loose wheel can wear away the studs. But from the driveway to the main road, you shouldn't have any issues a visual inspection won't reveal. You should remove the wheel and have a look, but you should be fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Present:
1960 SII 109"- "Red Square"
1984 90 Tdi- "Yamelo"
1988 RRC- "Chewbacca"
1987 RRC- "Chewy 2"
2008 RRS SC- "The Supersofa"

Past:
1959 SII 88"- "The Little Green Beastie" last seen in NY
1972 SIII 88"- "GreenHELL" now in NC
1988 90 "Eric the Half a Bee" half a truck, sold for parts
1991 RRC- never got a name- long since recycled
Old June 19th, 2016, 01:20 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
I had a similar situation with the Harley dealer. Could have turned out much worse.

Got my Softail back from a full service. Was riding through downtown on some of the bumpy patch work on the pavement when the front end started acting funny.

The cap at the bottom of the fork tube that holds the wheel in place had fallen off. The result of a failure to tighten them.
Advertisement

Old June 19th, 2016, 03:49 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Had a brake caliper bolt come off after a brake service at a BMW motorrad dealer. If you didn't die discovering the problem you'll be ok!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old June 20th, 2016, 02:15 PM
97-D90-736
Nick Vogel
1997 D-90 / 2012 LR4

Thanks guys for the feedback. The studs were fine.
I am almost comforted and terrified to hear that this stuff goes on everywhere and on critical areas.

Only solution is to take minute and walk the car before getting in.
Old June 20th, 2016, 02:54 PM
rmuller
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3

I had the same thing happen a couple of months ago with my Jeep Wrangler... brought it in for an oil change and started driving away.. it felt weird right away, but it was in an crappy paved parking lot, got another 100ft and got out to inspect and found them to be finger tight. I told the service manager, who called the tech, who came running out to fix it. The Jeep lease was ending a couple of weeks later so I didn't bother to complain anywhere as I wasn't going to be using the dealership anymore.... It's scary to think that it could happen to someone who doesn't bother to say anything and they could lose a wheel on the highway.
1966 Series IIa "Olive"
2001 Discovery II
2006 LR3 HSE7

Past: 1994 Defender 90 #416, 2001 Discovery II
Old June 20th, 2016, 09:03 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
I had the opposite happen. Went to swap a motor mount on the Burb a couple months ago and the wheel lug nuts must have been at 200 ft/lb. I had the extended breaker bar and then a cheater bar on that and still needed a bunch of weight to get them loose.

And I am so sick of my Chevy dealer. I've been there 1x month for the past 6 months to try and fix an issue with the front end and they still can't get it right. It's going to an independent next time. I would have thought a Suburban would last over 100k miles and not need a whole new front :rollseyes:
Old June 20th, 2016, 09:48 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
funny....happened to me on my AMG a while ago...no long term issues like everyone else. So I expect by now you realize it will be all good judging by majority rules.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
advice