Staun beadlocks.. - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 14th, 2015, 09:17 PM
UnfrozenCaveman
Keith Armstrong
Various

Hmmm...I've got some oddball steel wheels that don't keep the tire retained very well...might be a reasonable solution...or a dumb idea
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 14th, 2015, 10:24 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

From what I I understand the older style stauns have been improved with better material since being taken over by coyote, they are supposed to have resolved some of the previous issues with the older style..??!!
Old January 14th, 2015, 10:37 PM
thames
Paul Thames
'97 D90 SW

Well now is as good as any to confess. I have a set of five 8.25 XZL's marked "Tubeless" on ANR4636 wheels marked "Tubed". Despite the 5.5" wheel a little narrower than recommended for the 8.25's, I thought it would work. I carefully measured, drilled, deburred, and repainted the holes and took them to a good local tire shop with printed and video instructions on proper installation. They accidentally damaged one of the channel valve stems, and their solution, while holding at delivery, went flat the next day. I was unable to buy just that channel replacement part and was too stubborn to buy another bead lock. I used a different spare & wheel, and lightly offroaded with minimal air down episodes. The remaining 4 worked well; but the one recently went flat without tire puncture, responded to air-up once, then went irrevocably flat. I don't know if my solution was incorrect, but the fact that the tire shop offered an apology and charged me $15 for their efforts explains a bit. Tire shops may now be more in tune than they were 3 years ago. Guess I'll buy another beadlock and beg for a second channel, and give it another shot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 15th, 2015, 03:18 AM
REDrum
Niall Johnson
1970 Series IIA 88 - Sandstone

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
From what I I understand the older style stauns have been improved with better material since being taken over by coyote, they are supposed to have resolved some of the previous issues with the older style..??!!
My understanding as well.

'99 UZJ 100 - for glamping and grocery getting
'94 FZJ80 - our Costa Rican coffee mule
'96 FZJ80 - 3XL, racked, shaved and dipped in Raptor coat
'70 Petrol SIIA 88 - a Costa Rican expat now with US citizenship!
'70 Petrol SIIA 88 - for Central America surf & coffee exploration
'56 Petrol S1 86 - a whole new kind of land rover hell...
Old January 15th, 2015, 06:16 AM
skupetz
Gustaf Kupetz
NAS110, HCPU, Disco, Toylander, 2

stun beedlocks

Unfrozencaveman,

I first came across these is Australia, I forget who was doing them, basically they had imported the idea from some scandinavian country, as they were spendy to ship down (under) they started having them made locally. Staun than began importing those from Australia.

I didn't think they were the best on the street, it's a lot to balance. air down and air up and than it seemed they should be rebalanced.

The problem off road is, the inner tube, has a metal valve stem. Knock it on a rock, it breaks, your tire goes flat... no realistic way to trail fix it. Yes if you had tire irons, new tube, and all day you could. (please don't) ask me how I know.

Fairly expensive to install.

Perhaps more of an outback setting is best, less rocks, more sand gravel endless miles? I came away thinking the only thing it solved were insecurities, or ones need to have the best. But they just weren't, I felt it added more problems than it solved. To me they were just a lot of mickey mousing around in the end.

Curious to see what others impressions were, it's a great idea. Maybe the newer style has solved these issues?

-Gustaf
Old January 16th, 2015, 10:56 PM
thames
Paul Thames
'97 D90 SW

The ones I posted about earlier are the old style.
Old February 24th, 2015, 07:57 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

Still looking for a set ..!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat