Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 13th, 2012, 08:53 PM
WeBeCinYa
WeBeCinYa
94 ST #84

Registry
States Salt Roads?

This may be a dumb question, but what states use salt components when De-icing roads? I live in CO now, and know that they don't use it out here, but when I grew up NC they did. I figure the NE states use it, but what about mid west?
As you can put together, I am trying to buy a 90 with as little rust as possible and trying to figure out what areas are going to be more prone to rust, hence the salty roads.
1991 Range Rover Classic (sold)
1995 Range Rover Classic (sold)
2006 LR3 SE (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 13th, 2012, 08:56 PM
UnfrozenCaveman
Keith Armstrong
Various

Iowa uses a nice brine solution before it starts snowing followed wit a sand/salt mix once its good and sloppy. Result...the Defender stays in the garage until...oh...May or so.
Old December 13th, 2012, 08:57 PM
WeBeCinYa
WeBeCinYa
94 ST #84

Registry
Well I guess I should add that I would need to know if a state used salt during the 90s...but maybe switched up later...
1991 Range Rover Classic (sold)
1995 Range Rover Classic (sold)
2006 LR3 SE (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 13th, 2012, 09:30 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBeCinYa View Post
This may be a dumb question, but what states use salt components when De-icing roads? I live in CO now, and know that they don't use it out here, but when I grew up NC they did. I figure the NE states use it, but what about mid west?
As you can put together, I am trying to buy a 90 with as little rust as possible and trying to figure out what areas are going to be more prone to rust, hence the salty roads.
Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, and Michigan most definitely salt their roads with immense amounts of salt. Anything made of steel suffers.
Old December 13th, 2012, 10:21 PM
Fivespddisco
Justin Monnin
96 D1
D-90 Source Vendor

New York Loves it.
Old December 13th, 2012, 10:36 PM
K9Phil
Phil
1994 D-90 #1184

Ohio uses magnesium chloride (de-icer) with the salt and that stuff is even more corrosive than the salt.
Old December 14th, 2012, 12:47 AM
SonnyAK
Sonny
1993 NAS 110

Registry
I think most states in the lower 48, which get much snow at all, use salt or some other corrosive agent on the roads...I would definitely wash the undercarriage regularly...

Fortunately Alaska doesn't use salt (usually stays so cold that it still freezes back)...They just use gravel on the roads for extra traction...Works great but makes for a LOT of cracked/broken windshields :-( We just drive our old full size Bronce more during the really crappy months...
Old December 14th, 2012, 07:32 AM
xplorUtah
Andrew P
1960 SII

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Out West Utah is the only one that I can think of that uses it, and its only in certain places.

-Jeff
Yup.

I know Idaho uses gravel in rural areas. Not sure in towns.
1997 D90 SW #2496

"Fear profits man nothing"

1997 D90 SW #2139 Portofino Sold
1995 D90 ST #2445 Beluga Black Sold
1995 RRC SWB Beluga Black Sold
1986 110 200TDI "1 of 1" Sold
Old December 14th, 2012, 08:34 AM
JASEcrest
Jason
'88 Defender 110

2nd xplorUtah...

Lived in Teton Valley, Idaho and drove Teton Pass everyday to Jackson, WY.

Gravel, sand, and ROCKs -- new windshield every spring.

Can't seal for all of WY, but Jackson area is the same.
Old December 14th, 2012, 08:38 AM
RoversNorth
RN
2012 Land Rover Defender
D-90 Source Vendor

Vermont just use brine as a substitute for snow, there's no snow piles anymore, just mounds of salt. Say goodbye to your frame, your axles, and your happiness.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1319 Vt Rt 128, Westford, VT 05494
Please message me with any questions you have.
Old December 14th, 2012, 09:16 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Virginia uses it when it's 55 degrees outside because someone forgot to tell the chimps at VDOT that water doesn't freeze above 32 degrees. My favorite is when it's 70 one day (which heats up the ground and acts as a passive heat sink), and then it drops to the mid-30s (air temp) overnight and they think they need to salt the roads. Went through this all last winter....and it never snowed. Not once. Complete morons.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old December 14th, 2012, 09:18 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Virginia uses it when it's 55 degrees outside because someone forgot to tell the chimps at VDOT that water doesn't freeze above 32 degrees. My favorite is when it's 70 one day (which heats up the ground and acts as a passive heat sink), and then it drops to the mid-30s (air temp) overnight and they think they need to salt the roads. Went through this all last winter....and it never snowed. Not once. Complete morons.

becasause they wanted overtime.
Old December 14th, 2012, 10:19 AM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Don't blame them...if they don't use the money designated in their contracts then the state may actually start paying attention to allocations and lower it which is just bad for business!
Old December 13th, 2016, 08:32 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Bumping this thread because I'm enraged over the fact that I worked on the truck, with the garage open, in a tshirt all day...and was comfortable. Yet....Virginia saw the need to lay down an insane amount of pretreatment/brine today. I just about shat in my knickers as I was racing to finish winterizing my rides to prepare them for their winter slumber. I hope whoever runs VDOT has a nice, warm place awaiting them in hell. M'er F'ers!
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old December 13th, 2016, 09:22 PM
Firemanshort
David Short
1980 Stage One 109

Registry
Lav - I saw them soaking the roads in brine today, too. I know it is supposed to turn colder on Thursday but I was still scratching my head.

I just keep telling myself - "Relax, I have a galvanized frame on the way"
Sterling, VA
Old December 13th, 2016, 09:23 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firemanshort View Post
Lav - I saw them soaking the roads in brine today, too. I know it is supposed to turn colder on Thursday but I was still scratching my head.

I just keep telling myself - "Relax, I have a galvanized frame on the way"
Zero precip until maybe Saturday...it's focking TUESDAY! I was in a t-shirt. I hate V-DOT, makes me want to watch Fight Club.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old December 13th, 2016, 10:11 PM
Landy_Andy
Andy
1999 D2, 1985 D100 Truggy & 1951 S1

FYI... the application of brine (23.7% NaCl to water) in the run up to a weather event will help prevent the formation of black ice and also act as a debonding agent for compact snow during the event. Brine works down to -6C, below that mag chloride may be used and if it's too cold for that just an abrasive to aid traction.

We also use brine or salt to burn off slush after a weather event, then an abrasive to dry the road out, all depends what the spec's of the maintenance contract require.

Pic of one of our trucks out working on the highway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Plowing.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	178961  
Old December 13th, 2016, 10:25 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landy_Andy View Post
FYI... the application of brine (23.7% NaCl to water) in the run up to a weather event will help prevent the formation of black ice and also act as a debonding agent for compact snow during the event. Brine works down to -6C, below that mag chloride may be used and if it's too cold for that just an abrasive to aid traction.

We also use brine or salt to burn off slush after a weather event, then an abrasive to dry the road out, all depends what the spec's of the maintenance contract require.

Pic of one of our trucks out working on the highway.
Right, and you live in Canada ....my point is that it's tshirt weather here, zero precipitation on the horizon for at least 5-days....and even then, it's a tiny bit of rain (Saturday) and by midday will be almost 50-degrees. So...why the F are these idiots out blasting brine everywhere? NoVa just loves churning up their budget, polluting the Potomac River, and melting classic cars into rust.

There's zero real-world justification for them to be out doing what they are doing. If this was upstate-NY I'd get it, they'd be justified....but I'll be in a t-shirt in Virginia all week with possibly the exception of Thursday. With no rain, snow, or anything of significance on the horizon why are they going bananas with this stuff?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old December 13th, 2016, 10:26 PM
terryjm1
Terry
1988 Land Rover Santana & 98 D1 TDI

Missouri uses pretty much everything including loads of salt. I work for a city in St. Louis County and they put 3 different products on the road. In my travels through rural New Mexico, I have not seen salt used at all.
Old December 13th, 2016, 11:57 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

I didn't think Oregon salts the roads, but there are liquid lines on the roads. The ODOT website says its magnesium chloride.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat