Starting a salvage yard - NOVA - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 5th, 2011, 03:07 PM
lordhelemt
Paul
1995 D90 #2620 & NAS 110

Starting a salvage yard - NOVA

Has anyone considered buying and scraping Discos I/II and RR classics/P38s? It seems we have a ton of inexpensive ($1-3k) Land Rovers in NOVA and was wondering if anyone thought about buying a few and parting them out? I'd love to give it a try if anyone would be interested in doing it with me. I've got a few ideas where we can expand the audiance of who we can market too. I'm pretty much thinking out loud but would love to hear comments....
RIP 1994 D90 #999 (engine fire 2002). We'll miss you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 5th, 2011, 03:43 PM
EWR
Carey
1954 CJ-3B

Paul,

I think there is already a great group of guys doing this.

Will Tillery
Marty
Randy...I think he's in Pa
Paul Grant

I'm sure I'm leaving someone out, but these guys pretty much have this wrapped up.
Old April 5th, 2011, 03:57 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by EWR View Post
Paul,

I think there is already a great group of guys doing this.

Will Tillery
Marty
Randy...I think he's in Pa
Paul Grant

I'm sure I'm leaving someone out, but these guys pretty much have this wrapped up.
Beat me to it.

Will Tillery : www.roverguy.com

Marty Powell ( Drillbit ) : ?

Randy Williams: http://usedlandroverpartsco.fatcow.com/ ; usedroverparts@yahoo.com

Paul Grant: classicroverparts@gmail.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 5th, 2011, 04:15 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Horsey

You really add such value.
Old April 5th, 2011, 04:34 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
^^^^
Old April 5th, 2011, 05:03 PM
lordhelemt
Paul
1995 D90 #2620 & NAS 110

Thanks.
Old April 5th, 2011, 05:07 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
^^^^
Now that added value. I learned a new emoticon. Is there one for blow me?
Old April 5th, 2011, 05:17 PM
dbj2003
Brandon Jones
94 Defender 90 POE

google suggests this one: http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/smile...mileys-938.gif
hope it helps
Old April 5th, 2011, 05:27 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

well done
Old April 5th, 2011, 09:10 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Paul you should come to the NOVA happy hour (if you search the forums you'll find a long ass thread for it) and meet the local nut jobs. Some of us have parted out trucks, or bought them for parts, but as it has been mentioned there are plenty of guys doing this for profit and are great at it.
Old April 5th, 2011, 10:37 PM
kjva
Ken Jackson
1985 110 Wagon

If you are serious look into zoning and DEQ and DMV regulations, scrap yards are up there with pig farms when it comes to starting a new one
Old April 6th, 2011, 09:37 AM
enjoi1968
Blake Pendleton
98 D1

X2 on come to nova HH, I've parted before and it honestly sucks. I wouldn't do it again, not without a giant detached garage with lots of shelves.

But then again, depending on condition of the parter's personally vehicle, it can be a justified cause.
Old April 6th, 2011, 06:10 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I have done several and don't find it enjoyable...

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 6th, 2011, 06:12 PM
lordhelemt
Paul
1995 D90 #2620 & NAS 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Paul you should come to the NOVA happy hour (if you search the forums you'll find a long ass thread for it) and meet the local nut jobs. Some of us have parted out trucks, or bought them for parts, but as it has been mentioned there are plenty of guys doing this for profit and are great at it.
Yes, i've been trying to get out since earlier this year. I've had some conflicts but will make the next one or the one in May. This parting out thing would be more of a hobby and give me an excuse to get dirty, spend $, and build sh*t.
Old April 6th, 2011, 08:47 PM
NoVaKevin
Kevin
sold#1469

Paul, you have the right idea despite what others have to say.

When there was only Will, did Randy say....well, shit....Will has this market cornered? No, and then Randy started his business/hobby. When Marty wanted to start his own gig, did he say, well, shit...Will and Randy have this wrapped up? No, and then Marty started his business/hobby. You get the idea.

The problem here in NoVA is that land is expensive, and many HOA's will not allow parted out trucks on cinder blocks in the front yard. If you want to buy 2 disco's, or a couple, and do it, take em apart, throw the items in a garage, sell em when someone needs them, then you could do it. Make a little cash along the way.
Old April 6th, 2011, 10:42 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordhelemt View Post
This parting out thing would be more of a hobby and give me an excuse to get dirty, spend $, and build sh*t.
This coming from a guy who owns a defender! So it's not keeping you busy enough? - get another rover
Old April 7th, 2011, 12:51 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
If you can find a place to do this... the more, the merrier.

Old April 8th, 2011, 10:19 AM
LRover
J. Michael McCaig
D90 ST, LR110, Series IIa, RRC

I had my salvage license for almost 10 years until DEQ came along and demanded that I do an enviromental impact study on all streams in a 10 mile radius of my place. The engineering firms quoted me $10-15k to get this done so I bagged the whole thing. I live in the middle of nowhere, I am sure the zoning and enviromental regulations in NoVA will be way more strict. I really was just buying cars from insurance auctons for customers who rebuilt or dismantled the vehicles themselves. I parted a few Rovers myself but most of the inquiries I got were for things like plastic clips and console items, not engines etc.
Old April 8th, 2011, 11:34 AM
carlosz
Carlos
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP

Registry
with in the last 6 months I have had to replace 4 engines, the last engine just a week ago, had to scrap a series 2 just for the engine.
those are becomming more difficult to find as they are aging.
a year ago a local salvage yard sent me 3 defective engines in a row. a more reliable and efective source of parts for these vehicles would certainly be a welcome affair, but as Charles suggested the overhead cost in nova is almost prohibitive.
a few yrs ago I came accross the same idea but did not know how to aquire insurance claim vehicles as a lot and buying good running rovers at auction for the purpose of dismantling just did not sit well.
I think the more the marrier so why not do something say in stafford, fauquier, counties or maybe fredericksburg or even front royal in va.
maryland is too difficult in my personal opinion and mat be too far of a distance for many folks as many of these yards tend to be waaay outside of the beltway and the few remaining in places like rockville are grand fathered thus their location is size limited as well as the future of their existance.
places similar to crazy rays are a hit and miss type as they dont keep inventory so the truck you may find today may be gone tomorrow with a premium part still in it (just the danr part you need, murphy's law lol...) yet you dont know if or when they will have another rover and if you will be able to find what you need.
of course all is in the advertising so if you do get it off the ground spread the word by land, air and sea.
Im sure once you mention rovers as your specialty you bussines will boom.
best of luck...
Old April 9th, 2011, 05:58 PM
kjva
Ken Jackson
1985 110 Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosz View Post
with in the last 6 months I have had to replace 4 engines, the last engine just a week ago, had to scrap a series 2 just for the engine.
those are becomming more difficult to find as they are aging.
a year ago a local salvage yard sent me 3 defective engines in a row. a more reliable and efective source of parts for these vehicles would certainly be a welcome affair, but as Charles suggested the overhead cost in nova is almost prohibitive.
a few yrs ago I came accross the same idea but did not know how to aquire insurance claim vehicles as a lot and buying good running rovers at auction for the purpose of dismantling just did not sit well.
I think the more the marrier so why not do something say in stafford, fauquier, counties or maybe fredericksburg or even front royal in va.
maryland is too difficult in my personal opinion and mat be too far of a distance for many folks as many of these yards tend to be waaay outside of the beltway and the few remaining in places like rockville are grand fathered thus their location is size limited as well as the future of their existance.
places similar to crazy rays are a hit and miss type as they dont keep inventory so the truck you may find today may be gone tomorrow with a premium part still in it (just the danr part you need, murphy's law lol...) yet you dont know if or when they will have another rover and if you will be able to find what you need.
of course all is in the advertising so if you do get it off the ground spread the word by land, air and sea.
Im sure once you mention rovers as your specialty you bussines will boom.
best of luck...
Location is everything, I am a licensed salvage dealer but being 10 miles south of Dillwyn too far away to be much use to anyone in NOVA

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
nova, start, starting