ST or SW - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old October 8th, 2008, 01:28 AM
mpsteil
Michael Steil
NAS 110#23,97 ST#665

ST or SW

Looking for opinions here. I am thinking about selling my NAS 110 and getting a 97 ST. What I want to know is how much more freeway noise do you get from a stock ST compared to a stock SW with BFG AT on both with stock exhaust and no mods. Our first Defender was 94 with a POE type HT and then we had 110's after that and have never really driven a ST before. My wife will be driving the ST on the freeway alot and she is concered about the road noise. Anyone in the SF Bay Area with a ST who would let go for a ride to hear what it sounds like? Never been in ST so we really have now experience but can good beer to trade for a test ride. Opinions please. Thanks, Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 8th, 2008, 01:43 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Anytime.

Still have the top off. Not quiet, yet not too loud. I run Toyo MT 285/75 siped. Siping makes anything quiet. The truck has packs on it which make it sound great, but not stock and not as quiet. There are a few guys in the city that might be closer and I've seen a few of their 90's and they're pretty stock. If you'd like some wine tasting in my 90 let us know.
Old October 8th, 2008, 09:05 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Definitely drive a ST on the highway first. I wouldn't have it any other way, but every SW I have driven in is *much* quieter than my ST so you may be dissapointed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 8th, 2008, 09:59 AM
mpsteil
Michael Steil
NAS 110#23,97 ST#665

Thanks for the offer David, I might have to take you up on that. What is "Siping"
Old October 8th, 2008, 10:11 AM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
HUGE DIFFERENCE, especially without the top on. I wouldn't trade the ST for anything though.

When I bought new BFG ATs for my truck, I also had them siped. They slice the tread for all the reasons that links says.
Old October 8th, 2008, 10:31 AM
Overland90
Chris
95/D90 #169; Aston Martin

Registry
Let me know when your ready. I am interested in a 110.
Old October 8th, 2008, 10:34 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Interesting - I had a different idea of what siping was!
Old October 8th, 2008, 11:21 AM
SPIKE
Eric
94 D90 #1

I have run both soft and hard tops. The hardtop is quieter with much less buffeting.
MT's are much noisier than AT's. Basically all sentences in a Defender end in "What?"

All around the hard top is much easier to live with especially in bay area winter rains.
Hard tops don't wear out like soft tops.
The sun beats you with the soft top off and you end up wearing a hat of better yet installing a bimini top (on the truck)

Aside from all of these reasons to get a hard top, there is NOTHING BETTER than cruising down the road with the top off. Ahhhhh, nirvana.
Old October 8th, 2008, 11:39 AM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

I have both, too and very much prefer the SW when driving on the freeway. The ST wind noise is annoying, especially if a big truck or a Harley running open exhaust is driving in the next lane. (The extra arm room with the ST doors is a plus over the SW roll up window doors, though).
Old October 8th, 2008, 12:40 PM
xmod
Jeremy/Sturgeon
97 NAS D90 ST

Get a ST and the fiberglass top. It still might not be as quiet as a SW, but it might help.
Old October 8th, 2008, 04:32 PM
NashvilleRover
Dendy Jarrett
2009 LR3- Well Built

Mike:
There is a huge difference in road noise and all of it related to top choice.
A/T tires really do not make that much noise (now M/T are a different story entire!)

I cannot hear my cell phone ring on the highest setting when driving (even with the top on) Much buffeting and wind noise.
A friend and I took a 8 hour round trip in my ST recently (nashville to atlanta and back) and we were so horse from screaming at each other that we couldn't have a conversation by the last quarter of the trip.

That said, it is all about give and take. What do you want. My ST leaks and I have a brand new badger with gutter kit properly installed. Yet, it still leaks (not when moving but when parked in the rain). Wet floor boards I can take to have a convertible.

You simply have to decide what you want.

Dendy
Old October 8th, 2008, 07:07 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Dendy, you should be able to adjust the door seals to keep water from coming in where the body curves over. Drips from the door studs are harder to control, but mainly just drip onto the door bottoms.

Noise on the soft tops also has a lot to do with how many mats and stuff you use. Getting the heavy rubber bulkhead, seatbox, and foot well mats help a lot, as does having a loadspace mat. My seat box is line-x'd up underneath and I think that helps too. Then double checking to ensure the door seals are working (or simply present) and that the door tops are properly set-up will go a long way to ensuring that as much noise as possible stays outside the truck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old October 8th, 2008, 07:14 PM
mpsteil
Michael Steil
NAS 110#23,97 ST#665

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Dendy, you should be able to adjust the door seals to keep water from coming in where the body curves over. Drips from the door studs are harder to control, but mainly just drip onto the door bottoms.

Noise on the soft tops also has a lot to do with how many mats and stuff you use. Getting the heavy rubber bulkhead, seatbox, and foot well mats help a lot, as does having a loadspace mat. My seat box is line-x'd up underneath and I think that helps too. Then double checking to ensure the door seals are working (or simply present) and that the door tops are properly set-up will go a long way to ensuring that as much noise as possible stays outside the truck.
Jim, would you say doing all of the above to help with the noise would be enough to keep a wife happy when on the freeway or am I going for a SW.
Old October 8th, 2008, 07:23 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Its hard to say, I really don't know how picky she is. If she likes rolling down 280 at 75mph chatting into the earpiece, I think its probably a non-starter. If she's sitting on 101 going 10mph she'll probably be fine.

Old October 8th, 2008, 07:26 PM
mpsteil
Michael Steil
NAS 110#23,97 ST#665

Quote:
Its hard to say, I really don't know how picky she is. If she likes rolling down 280 at 75mph chatting into the earpiece, I think its probably a non-starter. If she's sitting on 101 going 10mph she'll probably be fine.
I hope she does not read this because 280 at 75mph is pretty much what she does two days a week from Woodside to SF. Do you have any pics of your hardtop yellow 90 I can show her to see if that would fly?
Oh and she is picky. Thanks, Mike
Old October 8th, 2008, 07:32 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Michael, I think you're swimming upstream here. The sale of your 110 should give you the funds for a his & her combo of D90s. Get her a hard top and yourself a soft top!

charles
Old October 8th, 2008, 07:37 PM
mpsteil
Michael Steil
NAS 110#23,97 ST#665

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin
Michael, I think you're swimming upstream here. The sale of your 110 should give you the funds for a his & her combo of D90s. Get her a hard top and yourself a soft top!

charles
I like the way you think Charles. Anyone want to trade a couple of 90's for a 110 I was not going to show my wife this thread until you posted.
Old October 8th, 2008, 07:49 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
What sort of pix you want? You want to build a hardtop yellow 90?

If she's only doing the commute a couple days a week, tell her to deal with it!

No, Charles is right, the answer is a brace of 90's. I have a very cheap 90 ST for sale if you want it - it would leave you enough dough to buy her a nice SW.

Old October 8th, 2008, 07:56 PM
mpsteil
Michael Steil
NAS 110#23,97 ST#665

Quote:
What sort of pix you want? You want to build a hardtop yellow 90?

If she's only doing the commute a couple days a week, tell her to deal with it!

No, Charles is right, the answer is a brace of 90's. I have a very cheap 90 ST for sale if you want it - it would leave you enough dough to buy her a nice SW.
Just a side shot if you have one Jim. I remember seeing a pic or two of your truck on other posts but dont know what to search to find them. I would get a yellow ST and paint a hardtop if I had to but who knows. If you can Jim pm with some info on the ST you have. Thanks, Mike
Old October 8th, 2008, 08:34 PM
PCRover
Gary Young
'94 90ST -> SW

Mike, What does she think of the 110 on the Freeway? If that is barely Ok with her then forget the soft top. If she thinks it is really quiet, then the soft top might work. My money is on her rejecting the ST for noise.

You going to be around Thursday?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat