ST or SW - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old October 8th, 2008, 09:35 PM
SPIKE
Eric
94 D90 #1

This is my version of a ST/HT switch. Everything from the door tops and up is changed with the exception of the windshield. In the spring, unbolt and swap back to ST.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LR HT 800x800.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	193.3 KB
ID:	15656  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 8th, 2008, 09:37 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Nice. Do you have a pic of the soft top configuration?
Old October 8th, 2008, 09:40 PM
SPIKE
Eric
94 D90 #1

ST version with original black door tops.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	LR @ Pismo A.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	155.1 KB
ID:	15657  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 8th, 2008, 09:42 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Well, that looks pretty much just like mine, except you painted your door tops, which I like. Looks like your door fit it pretty good as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old October 8th, 2008, 09:46 PM
SPIKE
Eric
94 D90 #1

I have 2 sets of door tops. One set black and one set yellow.
Old October 8th, 2008, 09:56 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I should try and talk Charles out of my old ones and do the same thing.

Old October 8th, 2008, 10:00 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Looks very nice Eric.

Jim, you have a set sitting right here in my basement!
Old October 8th, 2008, 10:01 PM
mpsteil
Michael Steil
NAS 110#23,97 ST#665

Eric, thanks for the pics. That is exactly what I was looking for.

Gary, I will be around Thursday but I have to make a few material runs real quick so give me a call. Pam does not mind the 110 noise level at all but she still thinks of the 90 with MT's and the metal top with no headliner and exhaust so I think it is a bad comparison to a stock ST or SW. Who knows
Old October 8th, 2008, 10:03 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I know, I know - But I'm sentimental about the old ones!

Follow-up Post:

Are the ones I have in your basement broken in the corners? I'm not sure I got such a great deal on those. From the pix it seems like the glass doesn't even match.

Old October 8th, 2008, 10:12 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
oops, I forgot about their condition - for some reason I thought at least the tops were good. I just checked and sadly I was mistaken. They are both cracked (in different spots) and pretty sorry looking in general... Not sure about the glass - all pieces have the same triplex markings.

I keep meaning to try my hand at welding aluminium. Maybe you'll get lucky and I'll be decent at it

Getting the old ones back isn't out of the realm of possibility, but rather unlikely at the very least. Time will tell once I get their replacements we'll see.
Old October 8th, 2008, 10:25 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
It wasn't disclosed to me that they were cracked when I bought them, I knew the bottoms weren't very good, but I specifically told the guy that the tops were where most of the value was, so there was plenty of opportunity to tell me that the tops weren't so great. Basically I bought junk for above-junk prices. I'll still get them out of your basement as soon as I can. This is a fat case of caveat emptor.

Old October 8th, 2008, 11:23 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I have a SW. There is probally a month out of the year I really wish I had a ST. I will get an ST some day. No time soon. Im glad I started with the SW more secure more quiet less leaks. Its my daily driver. The only bad thing about not having a ST is not being able to have a Badger truck cab.
Old October 9th, 2008, 07:54 PM
mpsteil
Michael Steil
NAS 110#23,97 ST#665

Well, the debate is over and my offer I made on a yellow 97 90 was accepted. Now I will fing out if the wife can handle the freeway noise or not. I just need to find a good shipper now. thanks for all the input and a special thanks to Dendy for checking out the truck for me. Thanks again, Mike
Old October 9th, 2008, 08:02 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Don't find out if she can handle the freeway noise, drag your feet on selling the 110...

Old October 9th, 2008, 08:06 PM
NashvilleRover
Dendy Jarrett
2009 LR3- Well Built

You are most welcome. That is one sweet ride you picked up.
Let me know if you want the side steps.

Thanks,
Dendy
Old October 9th, 2008, 08:14 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Be sure to update this thread with pics!
Old October 9th, 2008, 09:51 PM
mpsteil
Michael Steil
NAS 110#23,97 ST#665

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Don't find out if she can handle the freeway noise, drag your feet on selling the 110...
I think the cat is out of the bag now because she knows about this site now and read all the post to this thread and will probably keep reading more. Drag my feet will be an understatement. I think there is a law that says you cant sell a 110 in month that has an A,Y, or R in it.

I will post pics when we get it but it will most likely be at least a couple of weeks. Thanks again everybody
Old October 10th, 2008, 09:50 PM
AggieD90
Kevin Collins
'95 AA Yellow & '97 Willow Green

I've had both. When I had my SW I commuted ~60 miles a day with no complaints. Even with 35" MTs I could still hold a conversation on the phone in it - when it was stock I was able to use the speakerphone on the Nokia car kit. Today I would have no problem driving around every day in a SW...in fact I really don't think my Range Rover is *that* much more quiet than a stock SW.

Now for the ST. I have to plan when I'm going to need to drive it on the freeway. I have to be sure that any phone conversations are taken care of before I depart and that I have the phone somewhere that I can see if it if it rings (cause there's no way in hell my deaf azz is gunna hear it). I will answer - scream "HANG ON!" and exit off and take the call - there's no way to have a reasonable telephone conversation at freeway speeds in a ST. I honestly think the thing is more quiet without the top on.

Fiberglass HD on a ST - this is the happy medium between the two. Much more quiet than the full top on the highway but still not in the same league as a SW. It would probably work well if you did some work to try to soundproof the belly (I think some ways to work on this were mentioned earlier in the thread).

Someone else mentioned autos are more quiet than manual transmission trucks - also very true. I've grown so accustomed to my '95 ST I drove a '97 ST and was amazed how smooth and quiet it was.

Here's a picture of my yellow ST with the fiberglass hard top installed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0505.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	223.4 KB
ID:	15673   Click image for larger version

Name:	9-11-2007-09.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	297.9 KB
ID:	15674  

Name:	9-11-2007-03.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	350.8 KB
ID:	15676  
Old October 10th, 2008, 11:24 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

Go with the SW. Less noise, better security, more weather proof, easy roll up/down windows. You can even fit central locking and heated seats, any women would love that. If you are worried about noise you must think she will drive with the top on anyway, so might as well be a hard top. the first time she takes a soft top through the drive through window she will be annoyed by the little sliding windows, unless she has the door tops off. either one will look really cool and lots of guys will talk to her every time she stops, she will like that, you may not.
Old October 11th, 2008, 12:15 PM
mpsteil
Michael Steil
NAS 110#23,97 ST#665

Thanks Kevin and Todd but I already have a ST on the way. The wife wanted yellow bad enough that she gave up the road noise debate.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat