!st Day with D90! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old June 21st, 2011, 06:55 AM
MC36
Michael Christian
97 D90 ST British Racing Green

!st Day with D90!

Newbie here and posting about my first full day with my NEW D90. As soon as I figure out how to post pictures I will, sorry I know how annoying these post are without pics!

It is a 1997 BRG ST with 34,000 miles, the first three owners took very good care of it hope I can follow the tradition.

Here are a few observations and questions after one day of ownership that only time spent with it would I have figured out.
  • Finding the horn was a suprise! Could not figure it out until I stumbled upon it trying to turn right.
  • The space between the door and the steering wheel is going to cause me to go out and buy a beater watch. I have taken two or three good wacks out of my watch trying to turn or reach for the turn stalk.
  • You can't ware anything nice when driving this vehicle because grease or dirt is everywhere. Dress shirt I was waring now has a nice 'Defender kiss" across the side.
  • The Bespoke top is an absolute B*!#$! It took me an hour to get that thing on and I still dont have the back window in correctly. It was a series of snapping and velcroing and redoing and pulling that I did not expect. I figure you can't do this in a hurry nor can you do this with anything nice on! Please tell me there are some 'how to' instructions on here that might make this easier? By the way how does the cross bar on the back window fit on those tracks? Do both slots go inside the track or only the top fitting?
  • Cleaning the plastic windows will be a never ending challange. What are you suppose to use on them to get them clean? Was afraid to use any cleaner or solvent.
  • I have to clean out the garage to find a space to park the spare parts, windows, tops, mats, etc. What can you clean the tops with?
  • Have to factor in extra time when going places because someone wants to stop and talk. Pretty cool! I have already met a few fellow LR lovers just at the gas station and the bank. Tack on 10 extra minutes on each!
  • That this is going to only get better and is going to be a lot of fun in the long run.

Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 21st, 2011, 07:05 AM
draaronr
Here
LR3

man no offense but it will get better, that sounds like a list a wife would make for why she doesn't drive the 90 LOL,
my wife loved our 97 BRG, drove it more than me.
Old June 21st, 2011, 07:14 AM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
Here is a list of bad things I felt when I first got mine:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 21st, 2011, 07:27 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Why on Earth would you try to put the full top on? It's Summer!
Old June 21st, 2011, 09:09 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Just wait until you rip your belt loop on the back of your pants on the door catch.

Even after the first time it happens, it will happen again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 21st, 2011, 09:17 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Funny! Done that several times. Also annoying is when you squash the seat belt in the door catch as you slam the door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarchand
Just wait until you rip your belt loop on the back of your pants on the door catch.

Old June 21st, 2011, 09:22 AM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarchand View Post

This is so funny! Happens all the time to me as well.
Old June 21st, 2011, 09:57 AM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarchand View Post

Fortunately OP has an ST, and the catch on the jamb is different; so hooking the back belt loop is not as much of a recurring aggravation as it is on an SW.
Old June 21st, 2011, 11:13 PM
MC36
Michael Christian
97 D90 ST British Racing Green

Don't get me wrong these are not bad things just things that I did not expect and were funny finding out after a few hours with it. I am sure that there are some other quirky things that will surface but it is part of the fun and attraction to the D90.

I put the top on because I had to leave to go out to town and unfortunetly due to an excessive amount of motorized toys someone has to sit outside in the elements. I did not want to come home to a truck full of water and I have yet to drive it over 15 miles! The top is a chore, I am sure the more you do it the easier it becomes, thank godness the air works because I am going to think twice about pulling the top off any time soon! I think that I will be looking to get a Badger top soon, sounds like they are a lot easier to get on and off.

The watch thing was not fun however, it took a good nick out of my watch. I am going to have to ware a G-Shock in this truck so not to ruin any of the time pieces.

Oh, I also kicked something around the petals and this cardboard fell out, seems like it was doctored up with some duck tape and just feel down. I guess I will be replacing that too!

Again, its all part of the fun.
Old June 22nd, 2011, 06:01 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Plenty of options on replacing that silly cardboard under the pedals.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ght=kick+panel

Sounds like you should have bought a SW. Welcome to the club.
Old June 22nd, 2011, 09:17 AM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

Oh wait till you drive it in a torrential down pour, thats when the fun begins. winshield will fog, wipers will not keep up with the rain and your left arm and foot will be wet.

good time good times

: )
Old June 22nd, 2011, 10:30 AM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC36 View Post
[*]Cleaning the plastic windows will be a never ending challange. What are you suppose to use on them to get them clean? Was afraid to use any cleaner or solvent.
Use Pledge. You will be amazed.

Please feel free to visit my website at:

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Old June 22nd, 2011, 10:36 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willh View Post
Use Pledge. You will be amazed.
Really? Is that the secret? I have yet to have the windows zipeed into the top when cleaning them, so have not yet ventured into cleaning them. Does the oily consistency of Pledge help a lot?
Old June 22nd, 2011, 10:51 AM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Really? Is that the secret? I have yet to have the windows zipeed into the top when cleaning them, so have not yet ventured into cleaning them. Does the oily consistency of Pledge help a lot?
Just trust me.

Please feel free to visit my website at:

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Old June 22nd, 2011, 11:01 AM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

I've had good luck with just generic plastic window cleaners in Autozone or wherever.

I do have a three stage "kit" for when they're badly scratched.
Old June 22nd, 2011, 11:24 AM
DMSLongLake
Dave Sherwood
1994 D90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron View Post
Oh wait till you drive it in a torrential down pour, thats when the fun begins. winshield will fog, wipers will not keep up with the rain and your left arm and foot will be wet.

good time good times

: )
I just leave the wipers off, as the inside of the window gets just as wet...but I also take the top off in spring and put it back on in the fall

Current Rovers:
1994 D-90 ST #734
2006 LR3
2016 RRS

Past Rovers:
1997 Disco I
1988 Range Rover 40th Anniversary
1999 Disco II
1995 D-90 ST #2731
1997 Range Rover 4.6 HSE Vitesse
2003 Range Rover HSE
2008 RRS