Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 28th, 2015, 12:03 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
Meh...you guys and your little 2/4 door AWD's...go big, go RWD...

You will ultimately drive your D in real snow and Denver snow melts quick...get a real sports car...go RWD
I love the looks of Porsche's and WRX's and so on but they seem to scream pull me over. I'd go with this then add some items like wheels and de-badge/chrome to give it a a PPV look and enjoy the RWD, 6 spd manual and 415HP V8:

2015 SS: Sports Sedan | Chevrolet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 28th, 2015, 12:24 PM
spaeth
Craig Spaeth
93 RRC LWB 300TDI

If you are interested in Subaru the sleeper to me is the Forester XT. Pretty much the same motor as the STI but slightly smaller turbo and lower gearing. They are rumored to be quicker than the STI 0-60. You don't end up with the big insurance hit of the WRX or STI and no one knows it is that fast, which is in itself kind of fun.

I actually picked up a Forester XS naturally aspirated for a track day, autocross, knock around fun ski car and I am in love with it. Did front and rear strut bars, adjustable Tokico D-spec struts and some King lowering springs and the thing is an absolute blast to drive. Another benefit is the Subarus have a ton of overlap parts wise so it is easy to get parts off of totaled boy racers who have wrapped their WRX around a pole. I put a full WRX set of seats into the Forester and it was a fantastic and cheap upgrade. The best upgrade I did was the Kartboy short shifter. Super notchy and quick.

We switched from a 91 Audi 200 turbo quattro which was twice the car, but the lighter Subaru should be less money to run and a better car to learn in.

The 996 Porsches have been calling to me as well. It seems that more Porsche people are starting to get over the "it is not a REAL Porsche" thing. It will be interesting so see if prices on those take off like the rest of the 911's.

Craig
Old March 1st, 2015, 09:05 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Spent yesterday test driving cars.

Took out a 2007 carrera 4s targa non turbo car. Loved the car was really surprised by the power and how well it drove. Not sure they will work due to ground clearance with the snow here considering it scraped pretty hard leaving the dealership even taking the exit at an angle. If I could get one just as a fun car it would be on the top of my list.

It seems that none of the Mitsubishi dealers will let you drive the evo till they can pull your credit so that was a bit annoying and obviously I do not want to do that so I did not test the EVO yet. Will narrow it down a bit more then decide but I am guessing that it is out since they are all over 40K anyway. I did test the EVO ralliart and it was fun to drive seemed to use the power better and possibly drove a little smoother than the wrx. It really annoys me that they put the washer fluid and battery in the trunk so you do not have the ability to lay the seats down and move something long but I understand why they did it that way. ralliart comes in under 30K so that is nice.

Took out the 15 WRX Sti and a 15 WRX talk about two totally different cars the Sti has the old 2.5 with that typical built Subaru sound where the new WRX sounds like any normal run of the mill car. The Sti appeals to the senses where the WRX seems like just another car but the wrx was allot smoother through the entire power curve and seemed to get up to speed faster where the Sti seemed to need more effort to get it going. All in all I would say that the wrx is a sleeper and might be the better car but the Sti makes the kid inside me smile.

Not sure what I am going to do at this point but will keep looking
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 1st, 2015, 09:38 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
didn't the interiors on the wrx and evo bother you?
Old March 1st, 2015, 09:49 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

There are certainly car's out there with better interiors since they were both sort of bland and a bit dated but they were comfortable and things were where you expected them to be.

They both felt/ looked modern compared to the Toyota Tacoma
Old March 1st, 2015, 09:56 AM
samer0214
Samer Hijazi
1997 P38 Vitesse

Registry
Sporty daily driver (Car)

Being that you're looking for a DD, I understand your concern about the Porsche's clearances especially in the snow, but then again you have your D90 for that right? You could potentially skip driving the Porsche on some of those days, when things are really "hairy". What about the rest of the year?

I think you see where I'm going with this. Once you own the Porsche, you'll always want one in your driveway, and no matter how nice the Subaru and Mitsubishi are now, they are still Japanese econoboxes that will feel dated, tired and cheap in a couple of years, and let's get serious here for a second, nothing beats German engineering!
Defenderless, for now!
Old March 1st, 2015, 12:16 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

My 90 is in the process of getting an LS motor swap then I can get it on the road and work out the bugs. I need something to drive in the next few weeks and it will hopefully be this summer when my 90 is back up and running.

As much as I want something new and cool I am starting to lean towards getting something cheap / reliable and putting the extra money into the 90 and my shop build.
Old March 1st, 2015, 12:46 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Now you're making sense! ;-)
Old March 1st, 2015, 01:01 PM
Vunkle
Virgil Broussard
1997 defender 90

I would go with a Subaru. AWD, great ground clearance, fun to drive, relatively inexpensive, last forever and they hold their value well. With the boxer engine, you have lower center of gravity, so you can have some fun in the turns.
Old March 1st, 2015, 01:20 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
I was thinking about a golf GTD as I have to spend some time in the UK ..when I left 8 years ago VW build quality we good. Is the view that quality is lower now?
Depends on where they are made. My On my jetta I had to plug in the factory installed foglights, had to replace a failed horn so I'm not too thrilled with my Mexican made car.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 1st, 2015, 01:37 PM
dlane
David Lane
1997 AA Yellow #1147

Registry
Dave,

I just bought the wife an S4 and love it. I was amazed at how well it did in the snow here in Castle Rock. We had to drive it as the RRSC was in the shop getting the hail damage fixed. Make sure you look for the cars with the sports differential!
Old March 1st, 2015, 02:50 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
I've got the Audi Quattro for sale!.... just sayin'

1965 IIa SWB
1988 Saudi 110 (soon to be 300tdi)
Old March 1st, 2015, 04:54 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
I am starting to lean towards getting something cheap / reliable
Probably anything made by Honda or Toyota in the 4-6k range will get you there.
Old March 1st, 2015, 04:56 PM
drdread
AL
'94 NAS 90 SW

Registry
How'd we go from sporty sexy <$40k, to hondas & toyotas???? I was so excited for you.... PORSCHE 911 CARRERA 4 is still the right choice, IMHO
Old March 1st, 2015, 04:57 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by flippedrover View Post
Depends on where they are made. My On my jetta I had to plug in the factory installed foglights, had to replace a failed horn so I'm not too thrilled with my Mexican made car.
I don't think European cars are made in Mexico ... A lot of the stuff here seems to be built down to a price.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old March 1st, 2015, 04:59 PM
drdread
AL
'94 NAS 90 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
I don't think European cars are made in Mexico ... A lot of the stuff here seems to be built down to a price.
That'd be slightly incorrect.

http://www.ibtimes.com/mexico-auto-i...border-1671486
&
http://www.forbes.com/sites/joannmul...oon-be-mexico/
Old March 1st, 2015, 07:14 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdread View Post
How'd we go from sporty sexy <$40k, to hondas & toyotas???? I was so excited for you.... PORSCHE 911 CARRERA 4 is still the right choice, IMHO
I hear you I would love to get something fun to play with just thinking that maybe I could build my shop in the next 12 months if I were to suck it up and get a cheap DD + get the 90 on the road.

I am a cash kind of guy and refuse to finance the car or the shop but do not have enough play money to do both this year.

40K - the cost of a cheap DD and a few parts to get the 90 on the road would leave me with an extra 30K to spend on building the shop.

Maybe I will give into temptation time will tell
Old March 1st, 2015, 07:39 PM
wmatos1001
William
1994 NAS Defender 90

Registry
I would recommend a 2007 Porsche 911 base (non S). I owned one for 4 years (bought new) it is a great car, amazing handling and lots (tons) of aftermarket stuff for it (my preference was Fabspeed). I put headers, free flow exhaust, carbon air intake, and BBS wheels and had performance exceeding an "S". Sold mine for $43k in 2012 to by a new Aston Martin.

It's a great car and gets pretty darn good gas mileage particularly on the highway and aside from the snow absolutely qualifies as a daily driver.

And in the 4 years I owned it, never once went to the dealer. First oil change was at 20k miles. The lowest maintenance car I ever owned.

Only thing is you need tires every 10-12k miles depending on how aggressive you are in corners or if you live in real hot climate.
Old March 1st, 2015, 09:09 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_lucas View Post
As much as I want something new and cool I am starting to lean towards getting something cheap / reliable and putting the extra money into the 90 and my shop build.
I vote this. Less temptation to do anything other than drive it like the appliance it is and spend the time and money on the defender!
Old March 1st, 2015, 09:34 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Honda accord

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat