Spitfires AND Titanic !!! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 6th, 2006, 08:29 AM
Hillbilly Raider
MANDY STRINGER
Tombraider90

Spitfires AND Titanic !!!

On Sunday it was the 70th anniversary of the Spitfire.
To mark the event a group of five of the remaining flying examples did a flyby along Southampton water.
(the Spitfire was made here)
Some friends and i went along to watch this historic event and managed to get right close to the waters and the flight path.
With a brass band playing war themes (Dambusters, 633, Battle of Britian etc) in the background and us sat on TOP of my truck it was an awesome sight as they came out of the clouds towards us.... flew past in formation dissapeared into the sunset only to loop round to do it all again!!!!
To really top the afternoon off we were feet away from where the Titanic set sail from.!!
Truely a great way to spend a Sunday!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 6th, 2006, 10:20 AM
Troys
Troy Smith
1995 D90 SW

Mandy

I may be one of the few folks here on the site that knew that. That must have been awsome. I have a 1964 Triumph Spitfire 4, Mark 1 I completely restored. Shoot me an e-mail at:

tsmith@smithpackett.com and I will be happy to send you some photos if interested.

Cheers!

Troy J. Smith
Roanoke, Virginia USA

1966 Series II
1971 Series IIa
1972 Series III
1973 Series III
1995 D90 SW
1964 Triumph Spitfire
Old March 6th, 2006, 12:25 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

Wait, you have a spitfire airplane?!?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 6th, 2006, 01:07 PM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
I was about to ask the same Q...

+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]
Old March 6th, 2006, 01:27 PM
Hillbilly Raider
MANDY STRINGER
Tombraider90

i didnt want to be rude,
i was talking about an airoplane
he is talking about a British car!!

Old March 6th, 2006, 01:46 PM
smenzel
Sandro
1967 Series IIA

Forgive me for being a bit dense but Land Rover are British, right? In a forum about British cars, I'd think the author was referring to Triumph Spitfire by default. It wasn't until I read the bit about the 70th Anniversary that I realized it couldn't be the car.

Fun distraction, none-the-less. Sounds like a great time. Can't wait to see the photos.
Old March 6th, 2006, 06:58 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

And the fact that he said " 1964 Triumph " says it can't be the airplane.
Old March 6th, 2006, 07:16 PM
Hillbilly Raider
MANDY STRINGER
Tombraider90

Correct, but i clearly was talking about AEROPLANES!! i didnt think we had to talk cars ALL the time ?
Just thought you guys would be interested...... special occassion and all????
Have just reread my original post and cant see how anyone got confused?????

Old March 6th, 2006, 09:11 PM
stevewhitaker
Stephen Whitaker
1994 D-90

Registry
Just to put this back on track a bit, I would have loved to have seen the sight of 5 Spitfires flying in formation for the anniversary. One could argue that the Spitfire, along with its Merlin-powered older cousin the Hurricane, saved western democracy. Over here on this side of the pond we have a huge airshow at Oshkosh, Wisconsin at the end of July every year and in 1995 I was fortunate enough to have seen 4 Spitfires and a Hurricane flying by during in formation during part of the show for the 50th anniversary of the end of WWII. It was indeed thrilling, as was watching 5 B-17s, 1 B-24, 1 B-29, 20 Mustangs, 5 Thunderbolts, and a gaggle of other marks flown during WWII (including an ME 109) all flying around and putting on a great exhibition of raw horsepower and sound. It was a flying history lesson. We shall never see their like again.
Old March 6th, 2006, 09:21 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
my fav is the B17 the P51 and the P38 not much british but the spitfire was excellent
Old March 6th, 2006, 09:47 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troys
I have a 1964 Triumph Spitfire 4, Mark 1 I completely restored. \
Troy, in cleaning out the shop last weekend I found a new in the box chrome windshield surround for either a '74 or '79 spit, don't remember which one it was for. Don't know if it'll fit yours or even if you want it, but it's yours for shipping. Otherwise it goes in the trash.

Back on topic, I saw a formation of them over Wembly for the 40th anniversary of VE day at a concert of era music -- Vera Lynn with Spitfires overhead and a stadium full of people who'd lived through the war bawling and cheering at the same time; pretty amazing stuff.
Old March 6th, 2006, 10:59 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

WW2 airplanes, in my opinion, are the last ones that had some grace to them. I know a bunch of people will disagree, and that's fine, but I just like the roundness they needed before jet engines.

And as for Triumphs, man did they make some sweet looking vehicles. And Troy, what a sweet collection you've got in the garage
Old March 7th, 2006, 09:41 AM
C-Delta
Robert Andre
SIIA 1967--GM350

Nothing in the world quite like a low level flyby.
When these guys went up during the Battle of Britian they always were out numbered
like 10 to 1 and very few ever came back to there bases.
Old March 7th, 2006, 10:59 AM
Troys
Troy Smith
1995 D90 SW

OK...OK

I knew he refering to the planes. That's why I thought I was clear about stating the Triumph Spitfire. I do not own a Spitfire plane nor did I mention that I did. I do however have a model and poster of one. The poster has the Spitfire "plane" in the background and the Spitfire "automobile" in the foreground. Geez...just trying to have a little conversation. Anyhow, I will post some photos for those of you interested. May have to send them to Mike H. and have him modify to fit though.

Also, Arron the chrome windsheild surround will not fiy my car. Thanks anyway though.

Troy
Old March 7th, 2006, 12:18 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

A few years back there were two large bombers, a B-24 and a B-17, along with some various fighters visiting for a show. For two days, the B-17 offered rides for various veterans, supporters, and others. There is nothing like the sound of warplanes. Whether modern day fighters screeching out of nowhere, or the loud ominous drum of vintage piston aircraft. Civilian aircraft engines simply do not compare. Watching and hearing three or four in the air, it is hard to imagine 300 or 400 hundred.
Old March 7th, 2006, 06:08 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

I love old piston driven military aircraft. Personally I think the North American P 51 D is the best looking airplane ever built. 12 cly. Rolls Royce with something like 1200 horses. Exhaust pipes about 8" long.

The modern F/A 18 Hornet comes in a close second though for my money.

Both purpose built, like the Defender.
Old March 7th, 2006, 09:26 PM
stevewhitaker
Stephen Whitaker
1994 D-90

Registry
I think the most thrilling sound I have ever heard has been a Merlin-powered P-51 Mustang at full throttle, which is almost the same sound that the Merlin-powered Spitfire gave. At one of the Oshkosh shows at 7 AM a B-17 with a Mustang off each wing tip (my two favorite planes) buzzed the campground at about 500 feet elevation, going directly over my tent (I got it on video). It was incredible!!! (and not a bad way to wake up) Piston-powered planes, especially warplanes, provide such incredible sights and sounds. Some of those planes are rightfully considered legends, and the history that they exude is humbling.

I guess in a way I consider the Land Rover a legend. I have heard, and occassionally (rarely) participated in, some legendary Land Rover stories. When push comes to shove the British can really hit one out of the park. Spitfires and Land Rovers, not a bad combination.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
fire