Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 28th, 2013, 03:35 PM
kellykortman
kelly kortman
1994 land rover defender

Registry
specialty insurance

Now that I have like 70k into this crazy vehicle I'm wondering who might offer insurance to cover the whole vehicle in the even that something were to happen to it (stolen, totaled) I did some online searches and found Hagerty through Progressive. They say they won't insure vehicles used for camping or offroading, I don't take my car offroading, (too much risk relative to what I've put into the car) wondering if they will consider me?

does anybody else have a suggestion?

Kelly Kortman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 28th, 2013, 04:45 PM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
If you buy direct they won't cover it, but I bought hagerty through Allstate and those restrictions aren't in the policy.

Another option is just calling your insurer and getting an agreed value policy.
Old August 1st, 2013, 10:41 AM
MC36
Michael Christian
97 D90 ST British Racing Green

They would not cover my D90 either. I think the only SUV they will cover is the classic Lambo. I had to have my Nationwide agent create a policy that would cover it as collector insurance with the market value. She only did this when I was threatening to leave all together. She got my other cars set up through Hagerty but they are easy because they fit the mold exactly. I would ask your current agent what they could create.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 1st, 2013, 12:09 PM
myoverlandrover
josh

This got me thinking that I should raise the coverage on mine for accessories etc. so I called and they told me to get it appraised and bring that In. What's the odds I can find a auto appraiser who knows what an imported 110 or warn 8274 winch is with..lol
Old August 1st, 2013, 12:51 PM
kellykortman
kelly kortman
1994 land rover defender

Registry
Follow up:

Hagerty will not do stated value or agreed value policies for SUVs older than 1980 model version.

Neither will State Farm.

I did find that Safeco Insurance does do these policies and there is a firm here in Washington who is an insurance broker (a firm that uses many firms to accomplish many insurance goals) who can write the policy. They do not need a third party appraisal or receipts but the suggest pictures. If the car is involved in a crash and they deem at that time that you have not kept up the vehicle and it was no longer worth your former "stated value" then they give you the lesser of stated value or Kelly Blue Book or somewhere in between. FYI. It's very hard to find insurance for these rigs because right now they aren't deemed "rare enough" or "old enough" just yet, in 6 years on the 94, yes. Vern Fonk recommended taking pictures of everything though and they keep a copy and you keep a copy and if the insurance co tries to pull a fast one on you then they would show them the pics and say, "no, you are wrong, it was worth that much still".

Kelly
Old August 1st, 2013, 02:38 PM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

Chubb is the way to go.

THey will cover agreed value with or without a appraisial. No historic plates required, no mileage limit.

You need to have another DD in your fleet to qualify
Old August 1st, 2013, 03:00 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

While I do not have Chubb, a lot of the rich people I know have Chubb and the ones who have needed it have a favorable view.
Old August 1st, 2013, 03:01 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
While I do not have Chubb, a lot of the rich people I know have Chubb and the ones who have needed it have a favorable view.
Even non-rich people have chubb with these policies. The same non-rich people recommended Chubb
Old August 1st, 2013, 03:07 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by myoverlandrover View Post
This got me thinking that I should raise the coverage on mine for accessories etc. so I called and they told me to get it appraised and bring that In. What's the odds I can find a auto appraiser who knows what an imported 110 or warn 8274 winch is with..lol
Contact Dale Knepp, (a.k.a., RoverTrader) at The RVR Barn (www.thervrbarn.com). He is an approved appraiser of record for Land Rover Defenders with a couple different insurance companies.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please feel free to visit my website at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Old August 1st, 2013, 03:15 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Kelly, if you do not mind providing, what kind of evaluation are you looking to insure for?
Old August 1st, 2013, 03:27 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post

Even non-rich people have chubb with these policies. The same non-rich people recommended Chubb
I may switch. I need to get my lotus accident to fall off first.
Old August 1st, 2013, 04:03 PM
kellykortman
kelly kortman
1994 land rover defender

Registry
I do not understand the question what kind of evaluation are you looking to ensure for. could you please restate the question in a different way? thanks.

I also have an sr 22 insurance policy due to a situation from 2 years ago. So I'm not sure I can get a stated value policy until that falls off.

Also, what do you mean by you need two DD's in your fleet?

Thanks all,

Kelly
Old August 1st, 2013, 04:10 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellykortman View Post
I do not understand the question what kind of evaluation are you looking to ensure for. could you please restate the question in a different way? thanks.
Sounds like you are asking for a stated or agreed value policy. So my question is how much of the $70k into your truck do you want insured -- $35k, $40k, all $70k of it? Good luck and please keep us posted with your research.
Old August 1st, 2013, 04:15 PM
kellykortman
kelly kortman
1994 land rover defender

Registry
Well I would like it insured for what I think that I could sell it for on ebay and my guess on that is 59k. I could be wrong but my car is almost flawless and there isn't a single item that hasn't been touched or replaced or repaired and it's almost 100% done right now. I know with what I paid and what I put into it that I'm almost at 70k but I also know that that has no material basis as to what something is worth. something is only worth what somebody else is willing to pay for it, whether that is real estate or autos or a stock. Things can become ridiculously over or under valued based on timing, the economy, etc. I would love to see a bubble emerge in Land Rover Defenders similar to gold in 2011 or tech stocks in 99.
Old August 1st, 2013, 04:55 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:

I also have an sr 22 insurance policy due to a situation from 2 years ago. So I'm not sure I can get a stated value policy until that falls off.

Also, what do you mean by you need two DD's in your fleet?

Thanks all,

Kelly
For Chubb you need a second vehicle that can classify as a daily driver.
Old August 1st, 2013, 05:01 PM
kellykortman
kelly kortman
1994 land rover defender

Registry
LOL, as if anybody would ever rely on a Land Rover Defender for daily transportation. Now that's rich!

------ Follow up post added August 1st, 2013 02:03 PM ------

I have a Range Rover Sport Supercharged as my DD. I drive the one while the other is in the shop, last week, they were both in the shop.

Old August 1st, 2013, 05:16 PM
redway77
Beatrix

I drive mine as a DD for 6 months! And In the city. I have to admit I was crazy. But I have a stated value policy and got it appraised. Now I have a honda as a DD and once my other policy expires I will be switching it to a antique or collectors policy.
Old August 2nd, 2013, 11:15 AM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Quote:
Follow up:

Vern Fonk recommended taking pictures of everything though and they keep a copy and you keep a copy and if the insurance co tries to pull a fast one on you then they would show them the pics and say, "no, you are wrong, it was worth that much still".

Kelly
Vern Fonk? The Shipoopi guy from Jay Leno's Bad Ads?

Insuring specialty/collector type vehicles doesn't seem like an area they'd focus on much...
Old August 2nd, 2013, 11:42 AM
kellykortman
kelly kortman
1994 land rover defender

Registry
believe it or not they do everything now. back in the day it was finding the cheapest rates on insurance for former drunks so that they could make it to their AA meetings and parole hearings. Now they do pretty much everything. I was surprised too when Allstate told me to call them. They do the policy through Safeco but I'm about to check out Chubb because Safeco doesn't work with sr22's.
Old August 2nd, 2013, 12:00 PM
jac04
Jeff
Currently Roverless

Quote:
Hagerty will not do stated value or agreed value policies for SUVs older than 1980 model version.
Interesting. Hagerty insures my 73 Lightweight, and they insured my 63 IIA before I sold it.

I assume you mean that they won't do a policy for SUVs newer than 1980 model year, correct?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
insurance