Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 2nd, 2005, 06:16 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

SpanishTrailRovers.com now officially DEAD & GONE

My Friday Rant:

So, there used to be one guy in town who was a LR fanatic like myself, he had a website called SpanishTrailRovers.com, (some of you know him) not bad, very old HTML but a lot of great content ... He 'lost his love' for Rovers and went 'rice' (sooped up depreciating Jap cars that I'd go to jail quick if I had one) ... and stated to me and I quote "... I want nothing more to do with LR's..."

I spoke with him numerous times over the past year about switching hosting and ownership to me, even offered CASH but he said he just wanted to hold on to it. I have the facilities where I work to host this site on pretty good bandwidth (dual redundant Fibre lines) and to be quite honest ... That's one of the things I do where I work, Acquire websites/databases etc. from other companies so it would have been cake .. and I thought I could take my time redoing it. And add a bunch more D90 content (honestly that was my main goal) ... But no ... I even told him I'm dedicate the homepage to him as the founder.

I don't understand people sometimes ... If it was me and I didn't want anything to do with it, I'd literally give it away to someone who could & really would do something with it (with maybe a little bias for D90 owners ) But hey, that's me ... I'm playing with the same deck as everyone else, just shuffled differently. Yeah, I'm a jerk sometimes (I really only do it to be funny, even if I'm the only one laughing) but I'd literally open my home up to any of you on here.

Now a fucking whorehouse of a web company owns it (Bulkregister) and wants to start the bidding at $500, which to me isn't worth it... And on top of that, they're not even hosting the content of the website... just a static 'generic' homepage of theirs.

Another one bites the dust.

Some of you might say, no big deal, and it isn't... But it was the only thing 'known' in Tallahassee for LAND ROVERS and I could have made it bad ass. I just don't have the time to start one from scratch.

I tried folks, I tried...

Nicholas Orros

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 2nd, 2005, 11:14 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

That sucks! I have been on that site a few times and it did have some good info, too bad it was lost. But you can't be that bummed with all the other stuff you have going on right now!
Old September 3rd, 2005, 07:42 AM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Yeah Mike, it did have a bunch of useful stuff, I still may try to get the content but I haven't been able to reach P.F. He did do a lot of work, like have his site 'linked' on a lot of 'other' Rover sites, and really put some time into the 'tech' section, and plainly just getting the word out there. I mean I wasn't going to compete with this site (trust me CVC that wasn't my goal), I just wanted a place to RECRUIT Tallahassee Land Rover Owners, and get some 'workshops' / expeditions going.

My sadness is equally caught between the content and the URL, if I only get 1 it's still not the same.

In any case, Thanks for seeing what I'm seeing.

And yeah, a lot going on ... and now 2 more things... We adopted this dog (my now fiance is an active member of the Humane Society and we're really into helping dogs, especially older one's that nobody wants) about a year ago. His name is Oscar, a kind of Golden Retriever/Lab Mix about 8-10yrs old, great dog, a sweetheart she calls him... Anyway, all of a sudden after I would take him for a say 200yard walk, (that's about his limit because he's got arthritis but not too bad yet) when he would eat he was crying... It just kind of happened all of a sudden. So we take him to the Vet and they do XRAY's and they found a Rifle Bullet in his upper shoulder pointed towards his 'torso' area, so it's kind of like he was on his back and shot... maybe/maybe not. AND they found about 20 or so buckshot pellets throughout his neck region. I mean can you believe it. I'm a longtime dog lover, so that hits me pretty hard. And these 2 girls found him in a ditch and fostered him for a while when we first got him so they don't know the story of 'Oscar'. I just can't believe someone would use him for target practice. I have pics of Oscar & the XRAYS if anyone wants to see... It's freaking insane. He was in pretty bad shape when these 2 girls found him, he had a few big scars on his face and was missing 1/2 an ear.

And the other thing is SARBANES-OXLEY, I don't know if anyone on here has been through 'the compliance process'... If you have Please chime in. http://www.sarbanes-oxley.com/

Oh... Good morning by the way...

Nicholas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 3rd, 2005, 04:52 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

What some people do I don't think I could or would want to ever understand. But at least Oscar has a good place to stay.
Old September 3rd, 2005, 10:58 PM
ronward
Redsrover
None - sadly

Perrone Ford.... the spanish trail club was the florida land rover club right? I saw the site once or twice, met the guy once.

next.
Old September 4th, 2005, 10:21 AM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Nick, read your dog story. Too bad you don't have that kind of compassion for some of your fellow Defender lovers.

Now go ahead and tear me to shreds?
Old September 4th, 2005, 10:33 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

He just has hard love Randy
Old September 4th, 2005, 12:29 PM
RoverChic
D-90 Source P.I.
02 D2, 13 E350 AMG, 11 Ford F350

I knew I liked Randy!

I used the Spanish Trail Site too..Tons of good info with lots of extra goodies about ABS issues.
Old September 4th, 2005, 06:21 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hippert
He just has hard love Randy
Thanks Mike, I missed the tough love angle completely.

Should the need arise I'll be unable to defend myself for a couple of weeks, I'm going to be off the grid.
Old September 6th, 2005, 08:12 AM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Yes Ron, That's his name.. I was trying not to use it in print but everyone knows who I'm talking about, and if you think I'm not loved... well... I may still try to 'acquire' the content from him, and just redirect a new URL... who knows... we just moved up the wedding date from next November to next May so ... it begins... haha.

And Randy, I'm not trying to act all holier than though, but just trying to keep up some standards on this site, and yes I enjoy being torn to shreds too... Keeps me on my toes. And if you really take a look at ALL of my posts/replies I generally don't just wail on someone out of the blue... But very few can actually do it the 'right way'... I'm just trying to 'KEEP IT REAL' ... LOL... And yes I do love D90 owners, you might think I'm a jerk but I'd be the first guy to buy you a beer, and laugh about the whole thing. And one thing I told RoverGirl when she called me this past weekend to apologize (not needed, but it was a nice conversation) was the same thing I tell others, is that '...one thing you cannot convery through email or online written text is tone...'

Mike, Like a buddy of mine said "...Kind of gives you a new appreciation for that dog eh ?..." It's true, Oscar is now a lucky dog. He's got his own little bed, 2 couches to choose from, my girl gives him all the recommended 'drugs' (prescribed by vet of course ) , the very best food & treats... So he's having some great 'golden years', and is finally 'living the life'.

Nicholas Orros

Old September 6th, 2005, 02:24 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by norros

Now a fucking whorehouse of a web company owns it (Bulkregister) and wants to start the bidding at $500, which to me isn't worth it... And on top of that, they're not even hosting the content of the website... just a static 'generic' homepage of theirs.
All hope is not lost. Check out this archive of the site, dated January 2003. It's not the most up-to-date but you could probably salvage the info you want from it.

As far as your domain goes, here's how to get it:

1) Learn to use a WHOIS client to check on the current status of the domain registration. If you don't run Mac OS X or some form of UNIX, you can use this one.

2) When a domain goes dead, the registrar will typically hold on to it for 30-45 days, in attempt to extort the original owner to buy it back. When no one forks up the $500, they will eventually release it.

3) HOWEVER, as soon as they release it, scumbag pay-per-click operators will jump on the domain and register it before you can.

4) At this poiint, it helps to know a little bit about how these scum operate. They play their game by taking expired domains, re-registering them, and putting their pay-per-click site on them. They will run this site for approximately 3 days. If, at the end of the three days, the revenue from the clicks is greater than 1/120 of the domain registration fee, they will keep the domain (essentially forever) because it is profitable.

5) HOWEVER, if nobody clicks on the links of this new scum site, they will return the domain within the registrar's three-day money back garuantee period.

6) At this point, you have been watching WHOIS every day and you are ready to hop on the domain as soon as they release it.

Now, I'm not sure at what stage this domain is at (I think #2), but if you and others do not click on their advertisments, you'll probably be able to get it back.

HTH,

Chris
Old September 6th, 2005, 10:25 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Chris,

Thanks for the information, however this is what I do for a living, and am well aware of the 'processes' to acquire a domain name. I was giving the more 'generic' version for those not as versed. My apologies to you.

In any case, it's not so much the content acquisition as it is the previous owner's wishes not to continue the site or it's name. After a quite lengthy conversation with him today, I realized not only is he 'out of the loop' with Land Rover but it seems that he has some sort of angst against the company and the vehicles themselves. He stated that he may have the content ready for me in the fall (I'm sure right...lol) and I even told him I would dedicate a whole page to him as the 'founder' of the old club but he doesn't want that, he wants his name erased from everything. Go figure. He knew I wanted it, he knew I'd even pay, but he just simply DOES NOT want the site or his name associated with it.

So, at his wishes I'm not going to try to renew the URL, or acquire the content, I may one day build my own site but I doubt it... It would just take me too long to 'get close' and I don't have the time to sit down and create a site infrastructure at best. Honestly, it's really fucking sad, I've never seen a Rover Enthusiast turn 'rice' like this, or 'about face' like this. (WHY HIPPERT WHY ??)

I'm a freak about this truck and I can't express to you all how much this hurts... I mean I tried for over a year. LITERALLY. You may be saying... "Well, no biggie 'Nick', build another site, get together with your Rover Buddies and come up with another plan..." Hear me out on this one. There is NO OTHER ROVER OWNERS HERE IN TALLAHASSEE. People might say, yeah I know this guy, or this guy... And yes they might have a Disco with an Adventure Rack (oooooh Adventure Rack... I only say that because I had a guy just email me about a month ago and like the others... he's ALL TALK) but there's literally nobody. I posted on the FLRC Board (Florida Land Rover Club) and had a couple of bites, but nobody to wheel with. I'm now starting to go on 'runs' with the local Jeep club but it's not the same. You guys who have another D90 owner closeby are so damn lucky. Or at least other Land Rover owner who is SERIOUS. I wish I had the time to travel to meet with the FLRC but that's way out of the question right now. I have this BIG ASS forest about 15 minutes from my house too... Appalachicola, it's huge.

Anyway....

Hmm... And some of your 'instructions' if you will, are a little out of wack, for those that don't know, please let me clarify & answer some of your points:

-----------------------

1) Learn to use a WHOIS client to check on the current status of the domain registration. If you don't run Mac OS X or some form of UNIX, you can use this one.

You don't need a 'that site' to run a WHOIS, this can be done from any web browser, mac (we run OS X Server at work) , Linux (at work), and of course Windows (at work as well)... and from many of the registrar sites like netsol.com, tucows.com, registrar.com, just to name a few. And if I hit a 'non-authoritative' site like the one you suggested (and the WHOIS is non-authoritative mind you) I usually go to http://www.dnsstuff.com , which also houses a lot more of what I use daily.

2) When a domain goes dead, the registrar will typically hold on to it for 30-45 days, in attempt to extort the original owner to buy it back. When no one forks up the $500, they will eventually release it.

Not all registrars are $500... And not all domains go in this order, especially when they still get hit, and this one does. Some are higher, some are lower

3) HOWEVER, as soon as they release it, scumbag pay-per-click operators will jump on the domain and register it before you can.

True in some instances, but they can still be had with certain registrars.

4) At this poiint, it helps to know a little bit about how these scum operate. They play their game by taking expired domains, re-registering them, and putting their pay-per-click site on them. They will run this site for approximately 3 days. If, at the end of the three days, the revenue from the clicks is greater than 1/120 of the domain registration fee, they will keep the domain (essentially forever) because it is profitable.

Sadly, this has been going on for months ... I just learned of it late, and I blame it on my busy schedule. Yes, I could probably go through the steps, acquire the name, maybe get off easy and pay less but where would I be ? Having some guy fight me, or sue me because I posted his content/site... ? (It's funny, I just offered someone six figures for a domain name and they wouldn't sell... That's how cut-throat this stuff is becoming. (shakka.com of all domain names... LOL...)

5) HOWEVER, if nobody clicks on the links of this new scum site, they will return the domain within the registrar's three-day money back garuantee period.

Like I said earlier, registrar's are different. Working at a Fortune 500 company I've transfered domain names to and from Netsol, GoDaddy, Yahoo, Tucows...etc... Jesus... Not to mention SSL's. And not 'little' names like this one (spanishtrailrovers.com), some like HolidayInn.com, costadelmar.com, ourlucaya.com, just to name a few.

6) At this point, you have been watching WHOIS every day and you are ready to hop on the domain as soon as they release it.

I wish I had the time to pursue this, I can't wait or check everyday... I may put my name on the list but I doubt it. I'm just dumbfounded that someone could be so against something that they were so 'for' in the past. I mean, he was the first person I met that was a Land Rover Enthusiast in town, and he was even the one to run through the truck with me and get my feet wet. I even remember the day he sat there drinking a beer while he verbally instructed me on how to 'grease my bearings'... It was a good time, and I remember it fondly. (blah, blah, blah... Enough already !)

I mean, I like the guy, even if people have said bad things about him, I just don't understand.

In any case, Cheers...

Oh, and I'm done on this post, I'm literally so pissed ... First time on this site by the way.

Long live the D-90 Source.

Nicholas Orros

Old September 7th, 2005, 04:58 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by norros
Like I said earlier, registrar's are different. Working at a Fortune 500 company I've transfered domain names to and from Netsol, GoDaddy, Yahoo, Tucows...etc... Jesus... Not to mention SSL's. And not 'little' names like this one (spanishtrailrovers.com), some like HolidayInn.com, costadelmar.com, ourlucaya.com, just to name a few.
Blah blah...I've been registering domains since the only registrar was an e-mail address @nsf.gov and you didn't have to pay for them! (Oh, and to get a .org, you actually had to prove that you were an organization!)

Those were the days. I first installed Linux from a set of tarballs FTP'ed from Linus Torvalds' machine at cs.hut.fi, and to get your CD-ROM working, you had to edit header files. Back when a "high speed" Internet backbone consisted mainly of RS6000s with FDDI cards! My first Web browser was NCSA Mosaic but I'd already been using gopher for three years. I ran NCSA httpd way before Apache was released and ran the very first release of that, too! I had a Web-controllable jukebox in 1995. I've actually run a UUCP node and logged onto a Waffle BBS. My first UNIX desktop was a Sun Sparc Classic.

Have I proven my geek creds yet? ;-)

But I digress... Unless this guy has trademarked SpanishTrailRovers.com, you are more than free to register it and create a presence around it.

Chris
Old September 7th, 2005, 06:53 AM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapin

Have I proven my geek creds yet? ;-)

But I digress... Unless this guy has trademarked SpanishTrailRovers.com, you are more than free to register it and create a presence around it.

Chris
Chris,

YES, you have proven your 'geek-ness' to me. Though things are a little different here in the new millenium, 2005. Nice write-up... Sometimes I gotta get the cattle-prod out to rile the beast in you! Well done.

I do agree with you, but I don't want to 'steal' it from him... If he wishes for it to be left alone then hell with it.

You made my morning.

Nicholas

Old September 12th, 2005, 09:36 AM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

And the other thing is SARBANES-OXLEY, I don't know if anyone on here has been through 'the compliance process'... If you have Please chime in. http://www.sarbanes-oxley.com/

Yes I have and it sucks bad. Sorry for the hijack'
Old September 12th, 2005, 09:44 AM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Eric,

No, no... Great Hijack ! Thank you.

I just sent you a PM.

Thanks,

Nicholas Orros

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ht