Spam from the D-90? Columbia Rovers? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 1st, 2008, 05:56 PM
Landspeed
Langdon Hill
D-90 SW

Thumbs down Spam from the D-90? Columbia Rovers?

Did anyone else get an unsolicited email from Columbia Rovers? I hope it was only me, but I have no idea how i got on their f@#$% list. If companies are using this list as a data source that seems way un-cool. On the other hand, I could I have possibly requested their info? I don't remember doing anything like that. Lang
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 1st, 2008, 06:34 PM
WLDKGDM
Dan Cronin
1997 D90 SW

Lang,

Can you forward me that email from Columbia Rovers? I know those guys pretty well and I can find out for you.

Dan
dan@wildkingdom-offroad.com
Old July 1st, 2008, 06:59 PM
Landspeed
Langdon Hill
D-90 SW

Its sent.

Dan, so you did not get this email. Cool. Let me knwo what you find. I buy from the usuial suspects and Columbia Rovers... never heard of them. AND what in the hell is their lilly assed custom conserge service? Sounds like if you pay them enough the'll give you service they should give in the first place.

Lang
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 1st, 2008, 08:05 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

I got the email. Already deleted it, but I believe it came over our local Rover club's mailing list so I didn't think twice about it. (They are located in the Pac NW).
FWIW, I have dealt with one of them there a couple of times. Seems like a good guy.
Old July 1st, 2008, 08:31 PM
Cirbo
Jim C.
None

Got it too...
Old July 1st, 2008, 09:55 PM
hutch
Hutch
97 AA Yellow D90 ST

Registry
At the same time I could think of less "useful" spam to get for sure! (but still not cool)
Old July 1st, 2008, 10:22 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
I certainly didn't mind getting it. I talked to those guys about their ceremic coated manifolds via email so I wasn't surprised getting it. - I think it's good to hear about new stuff coming out. Compared to my mtn bike "newsletters" from vendors I don't get anything on the Defender front.
Old July 4th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Landspeed
Langdon Hill
D-90 SW

D-90 Spam "What do I think... It is wrong and it is dishonist.

Mr. Dan wrote me...

"Lang, I don't see what the big deal is really, I mean - you're a Land Rover owner and a small Land Rover business owner is informing the Land Rover public of another resource they can go to for parts and such. Seems more helpful to me than a problem. What do you think?

Dan,

- It is the principle. My email address is not there to be used for marketing. Companies have legitimate options on our forum. Going past those options, signing in as a member and collecting our data from the members list is phishing. They can make announcements like all of the other vendors. Do you see other vendors phishing the user group? No you don't because it is completely unethical. The principle is wrong. It disregards the purpose of this forum which is for members to communicate. Why did they not contact our forum's administrator? Because they knew it was wrong. Why did they not organize and announcement or even purchase advertising? This company has at least FIVE options built right into our awesome forum, and that is not even counting bucking up like a business and paying for a bit of advertising. Columbia Rovers could have first listed their intent in the VENDORS LOFT -

Vendors Loft is designed specifically for that! Its sub text reads; The Vendors Loft This section is for Vendors to post new products, services, announcements, group buys, website specials, or anything else that D-90 Source visitors might be interested in, as well as to encourage more interaction of Vendors with the community. You donít see any other companies using this data? So what you are saying is that it should be ok for every car product that has anything to do with Rovers should be able to have my email address in their marketing system?

Why stop with the Landy merchants, I am interested in tires, lubricants, solar glass shielding, satellite communications systems, biofuel products and production, and insurance. So should Firestone and DuPont and every other company phish our memberís data base and use that data for its own design with out asking permission? I suspect that the terms that one agrees to in becoming a member of this users group included an acceptance of terms that prohibit this information from being used. You want to get 100 more related emails every day just because you are interested in Land Rover products?

Last, I really think if you ask any of the vendors who support this site with their deals, discounts and mostly experience you will find they all know that phishing marketing is just not the way to earn our business.

I donít care how ďniceĒ they may be, using our data from the members mailing list is stealing and it was wrong. It was not theirs to take. It was a dishonest action. It is the principle.
Old July 4th, 2008, 10:56 PM
Noah
Noah
95 D90 TDI

not to be nitpicky but "phishing" refers to activities involving deception... "harvesting" may be a more appropriate word for gathering up emails from a forum.
Old July 5th, 2008, 02:13 AM
Landspeed
Langdon Hill
D-90 SW

Harvesting.... what ever

I was in the market and after market for 25 years. I ran a company in Luxembourg for 17 years. We built neat stuff for VW and then Honda Japan liked what we did and we did stuff for them also. Always built in the USA, always green manufacturing since 1982. There are ways that we get customers information and work to sell them. There are also ways that we are part of communities. This forum did not benefit from their fucking harvisting or what ever "nice word" you'd like to call it. What this means is that ALL of us have to fucking change our personal emails to emails that we can filter. The point is this is a forum, not a market to select customers from??? Are you all so Denfender Blind you don't see the larger picture? And now I am sure I have insulted many of you and I don't care. This is wrong and god damit you know that.
Stand up for something once in your lives. Or do you want to just allow trends to errode every principle, because some one is going to make a profit?

Lang Hill
Old July 5th, 2008, 09:54 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landspeed
Mr. Dan wrote me...

"Lang, I don't see what the big deal is really, I mean - you're a Land Rover owner and a small Land Rover business owner is informing the Land Rover public of another resource they can go to for parts and such. Seems more helpful to me than a problem. What do you think?

Dan,

- It is the principle. My email address is not there to be used for marketing. Companies have legitimate options on our forum. Going past those options, signing in as a member and collecting our data from the members list is phishing. They can make announcements like all of the other vendors. Do you see other vendors phishing the user group? No you don't because it is completely unethical. The principle is wrong. It disregards the purpose of this forum which is for members to communicate. Why did they not contact our forum's administrator? Because they knew it was wrong. Why did they not organize and announcement or even purchase advertising? This company has at least FIVE options built right into our awesome forum, and that is not even counting bucking up like a business and paying for a bit of advertising. Columbia Rovers could have first listed their intent in the VENDORS LOFT -

Vendors Loft is designed specifically for that! Its sub text reads; The Vendors Loft This section is for Vendors to post new products, services, announcements, group buys, website specials, or anything else that D-90 Source visitors might be interested in, as well as to encourage more interaction of Vendors with the community. You donít see any other companies using this data? So what you are saying is that it should be ok for every car product that has anything to do with Rovers should be able to have my email address in their marketing system?

Why stop with the Landy merchants, I am interested in tires, lubricants, solar glass shielding, satellite communications systems, biofuel products and production, and insurance. So should Firestone and DuPont and every other company phish our memberís data base and use that data for its own design with out asking permission? I suspect that the terms that one agrees to in becoming a member of this users group included an acceptance of terms that prohibit this information from being used. You want to get 100 more related emails every day just because you are interested in Land Rover products?

Last, I really think if you ask any of the vendors who support this site with their deals, discounts and mostly experience you will find they all know that phishing marketing is just not the way to earn our business.

I donít care how ďniceĒ they may be, using our data from the members mailing list is stealing and it was wrong. It was not theirs to take. It was a dishonest action. It is the principle.
You are 100% correct Lang.
So have they admitted to farming email address from this site?

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old July 5th, 2008, 10:18 AM
badgerman
Christopher Laws
1964 Land Badger
D-90 Source Vendor

Step away from the computer as soon as you can. Don't touch it, it's evil!

I think the moderators can take a look into this a bit further. There is no need to get your knickers in such a twist over this matter.
Old July 5th, 2008, 05:40 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

I didnt get the email, or if i did it went to the spam folder so I cant see which email address they would have sent it to. There are a few 'trap" member accounts that forward to me if someone is farms email addresses.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old July 5th, 2008, 06:13 PM
badgerman
Christopher Laws
1964 Land Badger
D-90 Source Vendor

I haven't received their email either. A couple of months ago I was receiving "returned email" by the hundreds. I was probably getting 700 a day! I wasn't happy about it, just kept deleting and went back to work. No big deal.
Old July 9th, 2008, 07:43 PM
hartman
Edward Hartman
1997 D-90

I haven't received any e-mails and I've post here, and purchased from CR.

O-well, I'll get one now.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
90, d-90