Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 26th, 2009, 10:38 AM
hutch
Hutch
97 AA Yellow D90 ST

Registry
Sound Dampening Project

I installed some sound dampening and insulation material into my doors on my 1997 ST this weekend. I thought I'd post some photos and my findings.

I researched the D-90 forums and came across this site:
http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

After reading it through (technically non-scientific but pretty thorough) the reviewer said one stood out: Second Skin Audio's products. The reviewer said that the downside was that this stuff was the most
expensive and that bang for the buck it might not be the best choice but putting cost aside Second Skin made the best product. Because I was only doing the doors I decided to go for it.

I bought their highest-end thermal liner called "Damplifier Pro" and then their high-end acoustical material to cover that layer called "Luxury Liner Pro." The "Door Kit" shipped with PLENTY of material.
Actually 50% more than I needed to for the thermal stuff and twice as much sound dampening material. The cost was about 100 bucks plus 25 bucks shipping (it's heavy).

The thermal layer does NOT smell like tar at all - it's not an asphalt-based product. It's really dense stuff and has an adhesive liner built-in. The sound dampening is really thick (see photo with the penny) and you need to use spray adhesive to glue it to the thermal layer. It's not tough to do - just a little time consuming because you need to wait a couple minutes each time you spray an area with the spray adhesive. I was able to put both the thermal and acoustical layers in the doors with space for the speaker - no cutting there. The door panels fit back on without any real issue.

Damplifier (Thermal)
http://www.secondskinaudio.com/vibra...lifier-pro.php

Acousitic Dampening:
http://www.secondskinaudio.com/noise...-Liner-Pro.php

In the end I was very impressed. The doors literally sound like a regular auto closing now and the speakers have much more bass to them. I'm also hoping that the AC will be able to better compete with the Florida summers as well.

I took some photos but stupidly forgot to take a final photo from a distance with the sound barrier on as a second layer before I put the door panels back on. You can see the sound proofing material and get an idea of what it looks like in the photo with the penny.

In summary I'd definitely recommend this stuff, however, if you plan to do this everywhere on your truck it could get a tad bit expensive and I bet you'd get very similar results with cheaper stuff for sure.

Hope this helps someone,

Hutch
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080486.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	19043   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080488.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	19044  

Name:	P1080489.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	19045   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080491.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	174.5 KB
ID:	19046  

Name:	P1080492.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	19047   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080493.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	19048  

Name:	P1080494.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	19049  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 26th, 2009, 04:22 PM
lrsafari
Scott Miller
1995 RRC LWB

Nice writeup. I am looking to do a full sound deadening on my '95 LWB and perhaps the the 109" as well. Are you going to line the tub as well?
Old April 26th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Retrofit
Pat
1984 110 CrewCab 200Tdi

Sweet ...

I used the exact same stuff on my crewcab project and really love that stuff. If I was to do it again I would do just the same. The truck is now quiet and the sound system comes out really nice.

Pat

Kirk Lazarus, Tropic Thunder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
color="Red">CanadaOverland.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 26th, 2009, 11:44 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Nice! That looks like a really nice, clean & thorough install. I'll second (3rd?) how much quieter a Defender is with some sound deadening in it. My doors came with sound deadening in them, but I lined the rear tub and the middle row floor so far and it makes a huge difference!
Old April 27th, 2009, 12:14 AM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrsafari
Nice writeup. I am looking to do a full sound deadening on my '95 LWB and perhaps the the 109" as well. Are you going to line the tub as well?
I did my D130 Crewcab in this stuff:
http://www.hardwareandtools.com/invt/9789520

It was night and day as far as heat and noise. Lined the ceiling, floor, doors, hood, seat boxes, tunnel cover and bulkhead and still had enough left over to do another vehicle. It is asphalt based but I have had zero asphalt smell and I spend 90% of my trips in the desert southwest in 100 plus degree heat. 100 square feet for a little over $100 isn't a bad deal.
Old April 27th, 2009, 08:54 AM
hutch
Hutch
97 AA Yellow D90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrsafari
Well I still have a decent amount of both the thermal and acoustic material left. I was thinking about doing the tub but I recently bought a badger full drop curtain to go along with the badger FDS top so I've essentially sealed off the rear of the truck from the cab. That should help keep the AC in the cab here in Florida and the heat from the tub out of the cab (FYI I drove a 1995 ST without AC in Florida for 7 years so no giving be hell about needing AC! Ha!)

My only hesitation with the tub is once you put the stuff down - it's DOWN. Not that I plan to ever have the tub exposed but it's one of those "commitment" moves...

I could just use the acoustical foam under the rear mat and/or over the wheel wells and just not spray it on. I also thought it could just lay it under the driver and passenger floor mats but that might make the mats a bit to high - probably end up catching a shoe (or a flip flop) on it.

I wish I had this stuff under and around the seats but I'm not up for removing the stock black liner (forget the name) and replacing it with new stuff from Exmoor.
Old April 28th, 2009, 01:00 AM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch

I wish I had this stuff under and around the seats but I'm not up for removing the stock black liner (forget the name) and replacing it with new stuff from Exmoor.
I put it inside the seat box with great results. Doing this you can maintain the black lining.
Old April 28th, 2009, 10:38 AM
hutch
Hutch
97 AA Yellow D90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymoe
I put it inside the seat box with great results. Doing this you can maintain the black lining.
Good call. I can probably just drop the sound dampening only in the seat base bottoms. That will keep the noise down and also prevent the battery and other items from jumping around.
Old June 19th, 2013, 09:05 AM
Toga Rover
Dave
1973 SIII 5-door

Second Skin - under the bonnet?

Hello everyone

I am new to the game with my 1973 SIII 5-door. While I do post to other forums catering to series trucks, I did a google search on sound deadening and found these posts.

I am interested in doing the doors on the truck, but also wondered if this product would be appropriate under the hood, or is there something else I should use? The truck is getting an Isuzu 4bd turbo diesel and thought it a good time to try and quiet everything down while the engine bay is exposed.

Thanks in advance for your feedback

Dave
Old June 19th, 2013, 10:40 AM
grnrvrs
Paul

Welcome.

4bd1t or 4bd2t? On my. 4bd1t, I have not yet insulated the hood. However, I did a bunch of insulation in the interior. When the bulkhead was out, I used a knock off dynamat, followed by closed cell foam and foil on nearly the entire bulkhead interior. The seatbox, rear tub and aluminum panels of the door interiors were all Linexed. The seatbox and front floor/tunnel got the Exmoor trim matting system. The roof received the dynamat knock off dampener pads and ~1" of open cell foam padding and then a LaSalle Trim headliner. Overall, I'm quite pleased.
Old June 19th, 2013, 04:18 PM
Toga Rover
Dave
1973 SIII 5-door

Grnrvrs,

She is getting a 4bd-1t with a bigger turbo with a NV4500HD 5-speed behind it. The truck has a 2.6L and #6 only has 40lbs compression, so I figured it was a good time to upgrade.

I also got a pair of Disco axles, so she will have 4 wheel discs, a stronger drivetrain and a debating between fitting the Disco power steering box, or the p38. Lastly, while everything is exposed, she is going from a RHD setup to LHD.

I will be selling off the motor, Trans, overdrive unit, and Salisbury rear end in the coming months in case you know of anyone looking.

----------

Did you take any pictures of the install of your insulation?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat