Sound Dampening Material - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old March 12th, 2005, 11:18 PM
defender 130
Sound Dampening Material

Not to beat a dead horse and I know the Dynamat and Brownbread stuff has been discussed. My question is has anyone gone the cheap bastard route and tried using alternate products. I am thinking using a product used in cold weather roofing. There are a few differant ones. Some that come to mind are Peel n Seal, Blueskin, Peel and Stick and Ice and Water Shield Guard. They all sound very similar to Dynamat. They are all adhesive backed asphault silicon or rubber compounds that are 100% waterproof and stick like crazy. While doing a search for sound deadening material I came accross several car audio forums that said these types of products are the same as Dynamat but at a fraction of the cost. Obviously they are not the "same" but very similar. The cost for Peel and Stick for example is $50 for a 9"x33' roll, thats 33 feet not inches. $140 for a 3'x33'. I think I am going to take the plunge and get the Peel and Stick from a RV company that uses it to permanently cover old RV roofs. it comes in white or aluminium backing. After last weeks trip to Death Valley/Saline Valley and having to yell to my son in the backseat I am ready to give anything a shot. Dynamat is just too rich for my blood. Power front windows are next, and to all you purists who cringe at power windows I will try and find some good links on the Peel and Stick if anyone is interested.

Old March 13th, 2005, 01:34 PM
Mike Johnstone
ex-mod 110
I've tried using different foam producys and they work but not as well as specifically made products.

My understanding with products like Brown bread is that they have suspended metalic materials that help absorb vibration.

I've been told by an automotive engineer that PU foam sheets are all that are needed to do a good soundproofing job and that that is what companies like Volvo do.

Peel and seal might be nice if it helps make the truck more leak proof.
Bike Mike

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat