"So you want to buy a Defender..." thread - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 4th, 2015, 07:25 AM
ezzzzzzz
Mark Garrenton
Too many here or gone to list here

Buying a LR is like cutting one's self I would suppose. It hurts but there's still some underlying pleasure. If it weren't for the people I've met through the years I'd not continue to own one of these abominations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 4th, 2015, 10:56 AM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

I haven't watched them all, but they look like they may be useful to point people to.
DEFENDER BUYERS GUIDE | For Land Rover Enthusiasts

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old September 4th, 2015, 11:22 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
The information is all out there. What gets under my thick rind is the posts here and emails I get from someone who cant be bothered to even do the reading.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 4th, 2015, 11:28 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post
Easy you will have time and money to chase tail
Nope! You will definitely have neither ;-)
Old September 5th, 2015, 01:29 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
The information is all out there. What gets under my thick rind is the posts here and emails I get from someone who cant be bothered to even do the reading.
To be fair, if you're new to internet forums, it's a little daunting to show up here and figure out what you need to know. Everything that people need to know is all here, but to find it you have to wade through dozens (or hundreds) of tangential posts and dead-end threads to find what you need. Unless you're really good with search engine queries, you're going to get a mountain of threads. If you're new to this place, you really have no idea who is truly authoritative, either. Is it the guy with 7,000 posts? Or the guy with a link to his import biz website in his signature? (For example, you: legit. ATL Cruisers: bullshit.)

I'm thinking of some kind of PDF guide that's linked to up top, or sticky'ed in the for sale forum. I'm thinking of something that's edited by a small but highly knowledgeable group from across the community, who all aren't associated with the same shop. A guide that's good enough that when you get asked about the trucks by a total newb, you just tell them to go here and download the buyers' guide and read it.

/
/
/
/
Old September 5th, 2015, 07:46 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
I can't agree more. A price/dues to pay beyond $€ gives this community character.

Old September 5th, 2015, 08:28 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Chris thank you for volunteering to take this on!
Old September 5th, 2015, 09:15 AM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
Part of my new law practice will be to conduct pre-purchase & pre-import consulting, especially for those who are deployed abroad with US Armed Forces. There is still a lot of confusion out there about what is legal and what is not. And, even if something is 100% legal, it doesn't mean that one won't be subjected to heightened scrutiny by U.S. Customs when one presents a vehicle to enter into the United States.

If you will, I see doing this type of consulting work as a "prophylactic" measure. Assuming one doesn't mind the analogy, being careful and investing in expert advice to protect one's self in an investment in a vehicle and proper shipping method on the front end can ultimately save one thousands of dollars in examination and legal costs to cure a latent deficiency in one's vehicle that "contracts" the attention of U.S. Customs when entering the United States. It may also be what saves one's vehicle from being seized & forfeited, and therefore lost all together.

Suffice it to say that it's much easier and less expensive to address a potential problem on the front end, as opposed to having to fight a costly legal battle on the back side. I've been privied to some very costly horror stories regarding the importing of vehicles (e.g., as in tens of thousands of dollars). Y'all will have to trust me when I say it's small price to pay for one's peace of mind.

Please feel free to visit my website at:

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Old September 5th, 2015, 11:26 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willh View Post
Part of my new law practice will be to conduct pre-purchase & pre-import consulting, especially for those who are deployed abroad with US Armed Forces. There is still a lot of confusion out there about what is legal and what is not. And, even if something is 100% legal, it doesn't mean that one won't be subjected to heightened scrutiny by U.S. Customs when one presents a vehicle to enter into the United States. If you will, I see doing this type of consulting work as a "prophylactic" measure. Assuming one doesn't mind the analogy, being careful and investing in expert advice to protect one's self in an investment in a vehicle and proper shipping method on the front end can ultimately save one thousands of dollars in examination and legal costs to cure a latent deficiency in one's vehicle that "contracts" the attention of U.S. Customs when entering the United States. It may also be what saves one's vehicle from being seized & forfeited, and therefore lost all together. Suffice it to say that it's much easier and less expensive to address a potential problem on the front end, as opposed to having to fight a costly legal battle on the back side. I've been privied to some very costly horror stories regarding the importing of vehicles (e.g., as in tens of thousands of dollars). Y'all will have to trust me when I say it's small price to pay for one's peace of mind.
Will PM your business contacts. Guys randomly contact me all the time for advice. I'm always happy to share what I've learned along the way but I'd feel bad if something out of my control were to happen. I've gone as far as hold conference calls with the sellers to be sure the right questions are asked but I sometimes wonder if that could come back to haunt me and turn into a huge time suck.

Old September 5th, 2015, 11:36 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Great idea Chris.

And although I'd love to see this in a wiki format or something easier than a thread, I don't think the site owners are anywhere near providing something like that here. I know we can selectively allow editing of posts but I'm not sure it can be given to multiple people (there than moderators), but will ask. But I think a sticky thread in the for sale section with the first post being the guide and kept updated would be the best way to accomplish this here. If we can't allow multiple editors, we can take edit suggestions and apply them as needed.

That work? If yes, start a thread and I can make it sticky and we can get it permanently editable by you. Janet is on walkabout this week, but we can get at least that done.
Old September 5th, 2015, 11:38 AM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
Will PM your business contacts. Guys randomly contact me all the time for advice. I'm always happy to share what I've learned along the way but I'd feel bad if something out of my control were to happen. I've gone as far as hold conference calls with the sellers to be sure the right questions are asked but I sometimes wonder if that could come back to haunt me and turn into a huge time suck.
Clay,

PM sent! Thanks sir!

Please feel free to visit my website at:

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Old September 5th, 2015, 12:18 PM
roverman2010
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi

Registry
Haynes Manuals

These three books from Haynes could answer allot of new and wantabe owners questions.

LAND ROVER 90,110& DEFENDER RESTORATION MANUAL 2ND EDN. As these are written in the UK the owners of ROW Landies (in which NAS is) you may have to work around the differences.

LAND ROVER DEFENDER MODIFYING MANUAL

LAND ROVER RESTORATION MANUAL, Series

As these are written in the UK the owners of ROW Landies (in which NAS is) you may have to work around the differences.

I am not connected or have not worked for Haynes.co.uk but did use them in my youth.

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 BRG FHC For Sale
Old September 7th, 2015, 08:41 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
I think this is a great idea, I hate how in so many of these truck import legality threads there is always a deflection on the answer (of legitimate questions), instead of giving the actual answer it's like "we answered that question 4 years ago" or "it's not worth it to import a truck" or "just use doug, he's really good" all those answers are great and all but none of them answer the question. I used the search function, and I googled the hell of out of this, and I finally find a related thread and it is such a disappointment to see a response like that! Let me know if we make a buyers guide, I will contribute.
Old September 7th, 2015, 09:41 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsD90 View Post
I think this is a great idea, I hate how in so many of these truck import legality threads there is always a deflection on the answer (of legitimate questions), instead of giving the actual answer it's like "we answered that question 4 years ago" or "it's not worth it to import a truck" or "just use doug, he's really good" all those answers are great and all but none of them answer the question. I used the search function, and I googled the hell of out of this, and I finally find a related thread and it is such a disappointment to see a response like that! Let me know if we make a buyers guide, I will contribute.
I guess I see the "So you want to buy a defender guide " and "import legality" questions as completely separate topics. What to look for when buying a defender doesn't change much as time marches on.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old September 8th, 2015, 01:48 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

So here's my first attempt at a guide. I got the basic layout done, along with the first section. It still needs the taxonomy section, the "what to look for" section, and the buying-vs-importing section.

http://chrissnell.com/defender/defen...yers_guide.pdf

For the "what to look for" section, it would be awesome if we could get some pictures detailing all of the potential problem areas. I see that ECR has done a really nice job of producing some for their website. Would ECR be willing to donate use of their pics for this guide, with full attribution on the title page of course?

For the Taxonomy section, I really like the work that Brian has done on the Defenders NW site. Maybe DNW will agree to let us incorporate the copy into this section? I'd love to find some black and white line drawings of the various models (ideally in vector format) for this section.

Anyone interested in writing the buy vs import section?

If you want to contribute or edit, just post up here. Anyone who writes a section (or supplies a set of high-quality photos) gets title page credits. I will create a "Thanks" section in the back for smaller contributions, as well.

If you're wondering about the old school look and feel, it's because I used a typesetting language called LaTeX, which is as old as the Land Rover 110 itself. For the nerds, you can find the source here in this GitHub repo. PR's welcome, of course.

/
/
/
/
Old September 8th, 2015, 07:05 AM
flananuts
Matthew
LRC Customs #003 D110 Soft Top

Registry
Just took a perusal, looks and feels vey much like a corporate white paper, great work.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
defender