Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 27th, 2008, 08:37 AM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
So what are your numbers?

Well, it was that time again, time to take the Defender in for state emissions testing. It is always a mix of comical, and angst, watching the monkeys bounce the Defender around on the rollers. At least this year I didn't have to argue about not being able to take it out of four wheel drive (last time they insisted it could be tested on one set of rollers, I was almost tempted to lock the center diff and let them run over their fan system when they started off, but eventually got a supervisor involved).

First laugh, the woman (I think it was a woman) couldn't get her 'oversized' body up into the Defender, and required assistance from another worker to push (wedge) her into the driver's seat. It wasn't pretty to watch.

Second laugh, the look of disbelief when she couldn't find the ignition (this is always a good one). This one is usually good for about a minute of confused looks before I go over and tell them where to find it.

Third laugh, the argument between two workers and eventually a supervisor about whether they can run it on the rollers. The automated system for centering the vehicle keeps giving them errors. One guy says, 'those meats are too big, you'll drive right off' (they are only 33's, hate to see what they'd do if a D90 on 37's rolled up). Eventually they all agree its not safe, and do an idle tailpipe test, much to my hearts content, some driveline wear averted this time around.

So I was curious how bad/good my Defender is running in comparison to most. It passed, seemingly well below limits (though my wife still complains that it stinks)...

Hydrocarbons: 36 PPM (Max allowable 220 PPM)
Carbon Monoxide: .15 PCT (Max allowable 1.20 PCT)
Oxides of Nitrogen: Stated test not required or performed?

Well, good for another two years anyway..

P.S. -- I can't compare it to our other cars, they are both OBII compliant, and they just plug in and pull codes for them for the emissions test these days.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 27th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Diesels are exempt from emissions compliance in NC
Old August 27th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Scott,

I have different numbers than you. Possibly tested at the same station off Broken Land Parkway in Columbia?

Hydrocarbons - 1.8 GPM State Standards / .056 Defender
CO - 60 GPM State standard / .0114 Defender
NO - 3.7 GPM State Standard / .0219 GPM Defender

Seems like it easilly passes - but I have no idea what these numbers mean

My test was a comical as yours. I tried to show the guy a few things on the car - and he said "He has driven every vehicle". I gave him the keys and went to the watching room.

I then got in the truck - could not find the emmission - even looked in the center box for it. Opened the door - called his assistant. Together they found it.

There was an argument about the 4 wheel drive too.

I hate doing the emmission testing..............but it is not that big of a deal I guess............

Flagg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 27th, 2008, 09:33 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander
x2 in Mass.

Old August 27th, 2008, 09:38 AM
JRW
John
94 D90 ST #1247

Texas based 94 V8

Hydrocarbons: High Speed: 12; Low Speed 1 (Max allowable 220 PPM)
Carbon Monoxide: High Speed: 0.00; Low Speed 0.03 (Max allowable 1.20 PCT)
Oxides of Nitrogen: High Speed: 0.00; Low Speed 0.00

They also tested the following:
Carbon Dioxide: High Speed: 14.8; Low Speed 14.5
Oxygen (O2): High Speed: 0.01; Low Speed 0.04
Dilution%: High Speed: 14.8; Low Speed 14.5 (Min allowable 6)

High Speed RPM: 2612
Low Speed RPM:0714
Old August 27th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Frankie Carbone
Heath Hollenbeck
'97 D90 #535, '03 DiscoII

No Emissions in Nebraska!

If it runs you can drive it!

You can run ATV's on the road here.

When you have more crops then cars and people you dont need emissions i guess.
Old August 27th, 2008, 09:58 AM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander
They are exempt in Maryland as well, but since the original Gas V8 still lies beneath the hood of my Defender, it doesn't mean much to me. I like diesels, don't get me wrong, but can't justify the cost of the conversion, and have to admit I'd likely miss that nice V8 burble at idle...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagg
Scott,

I have different numbers than you. Possibly tested at the same station off Broken Land Parkway in Columbia?

Hydrocarbons - 1.8 GPM State Standards / .056 Defender
CO - 60 GPM State standard / .0114 Defender
NO - 3.7 GPM State Standard / .0219 GPM Defender

Flagg
Flagg,

Mine was tested in Owings Mills, off of Cronridge drive. I would guess your numbers were produced on the treadmill, verses just an at idle tailpipe test. They decided my tires were 'too big' to test it on the treadmill (though they've done it in the past). Listening to the constant back and forth clunking of the Defender's driveline as the attendant uses the accelerator pedal like an on/off switch trying to track the 'road' on the computer screen is sickening for me, so I was glad they passed up the treadmill this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRW
Texas based 94 V8

Hydrocarbons: High Speed: 12; Low Speed 1 (Max allowable 220 PPM)
Carbon Monoxide: High Speed: 0.00; Low Speed 0.03 (Max allowable 1.20 PCT)
Oxides of Nitrogen: High Speed: 0.00; Low Speed 0.00

High Speed RPM: 2612
Low Speed RPM:0714
Hey John,

It would appear your Defender is running alot cleaner than mine? 1 ppm on the Hydrocarbons, and .03 pct Carbon Monoxide seem significantly lower than my test results at idle. I wonder what would cause the wide variation. The only 'modifications' to my truck's engine/exhaust is to advance the timing to 15 degrees BTDC, I wonder if that is enough to account for the difference...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 27th, 2008, 10:05 AM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

I just got mine done 3 days ago. The tech just connected the testing machine wire to the OBDII plug; one minute later, done and gone.
Old August 27th, 2008, 10:42 AM
JRW
John
94 D90 ST #1247

I noticed that as well. I just got my truck from the original owner a few weeks ago. It has just over 77,800 miles on it and is in great shape. I was also running a few tanks of Premium in it to get started...
Old August 27th, 2008, 10:53 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

In stock form without any miss fires and with fresh cats on a tailpipe test a 14CUX truck will be near zero on everything. Due to the size of the cats and the way it is tuned they run really clean. Even ones that run like crap generally will still pass in PA. I have also seen them pass (with some room to spare) with hollowed out cats. As the cats age and is the tuning is off, emissions start to creep up.

My red D90 ran perfectly and passed with tons of room to spare. The green D90 (Yeastie) now in JimC's hands, took some effort to get it through (we had to get it up to temp before it would pass). Of course, yeastie ran on seven cylinders with the CEL on for a long time because the previous owner mistook the coolant temp sensor connector for the #1 injector connection.

Ron
Old August 27th, 2008, 11:41 AM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
In stock form without any miss fires and with fresh cats on a tailpipe test a 14CUX truck will be near zero on everything. Due to the size of the cats and the way it is tuned they run really clean. Even ones that run like crap generally will still pass in PA. I have also seen them pass (with some room to spare) with hollowed out cats. As the cats age and is the tuning is off, emissions start to creep up.

Ron
How much do you think the timing advance is effecting the emissions output? State of tune should be pretty good I would think, with only 33K miles, premium fuel run, new (properly gapped) plugs, high quality wires, seems to run well, just getting curious I guess...

Old August 27th, 2008, 11:54 AM
evilfij
evilfij

Are both advances working properly? Does the dwell angle look right? There are so many things that can effect tune on a 14cux it is hard to say why exactly.

Also, did you run yours when it was hot or cold?
Old August 27th, 2008, 11:56 AM
grnthng
Luis A. Costa
'93 Range Rover County LWB

You guys are making me laugh with those inspection stories.
I own a privately imported 83 RRC ( the 1st time I took it to them they thought it was a IH Scout ) and the emissions computer would not accept the vin # because it started with a S instead of the more common 1.
They added a 1 to the vin# and it through, wierd.

My 3.5l was converted to the 14lux ( from a 91 RR ) by the old owner- he also used diff. injectors and it passes everytime running on 87.

I tell you what, they are not all retards- because one them had a sharp eye and caught my Hella 550's were my headlights were supposed to be, there was about 5 of them looking at my 34" TSL's and she yells out ( bent over in front of RR ) ARE THESE DOT LEGAL.
Old August 27th, 2008, 02:04 PM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
Are both advances working properly? Does the dwell angle look right? There are so many things that can effect tune on a 14cux it is hard to say why exactly.

Also, did you run yours when it was hot or cold?
It was hot, or relatively so. I had just driven in from about a 20 mile drive mixed highway back roads. However, truck was turned off for about ten minutes while they 'set-up' tried to find the ignition, etc...

Okay, I feel like a mental midget at the moment. I thought dwell angle/duration was fixed with electronic ignitions, and that the Defenders had electronic ignitions? I'm trying hard to remember my knowledge of Points/condenser style ignitions, and thought dwell angle was related to the gap between the points. Uhhgg...

As for the advances, I honestly don't know, I guess I will need to try to figure out how to check..

Old August 27th, 2008, 02:12 PM
evilfij
evilfij

There is a common issue with the ignition module that causes excessive dwell angles (search). It also will eventually melt the coil.

Personally I would not worry about it if it passes emissions, but since you asked I thought I would give some examples of things that could impact emissions.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat