So tell me about Independence/Kansas City MO - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 5th, 2014, 07:24 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

So tell me about Independence/Kansas City MO

So the Army has decided that it is time for me to move again and in January I'll heading to my new duty station in Independence MO.

So who knows about the area. Where to live and not to live, good school districts (elementary) any off roading, and if you know a good horse riding stable (for my daughter) that would be great info as well.

Thanks in advance

Unknown Author

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
716-898-8153
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 5th, 2014, 07:59 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
poverty is owning a horse...or a Land Rover! Dang Bill - score 2 for 2
Old July 5th, 2014, 08:28 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Never lived there but the Kansas side schools are much better according to my friends who live there.
Advertisement

Old July 5th, 2014, 09:07 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
You won't be far from Jim Pendleton. He has a business just east of Wichita working on Rovers
Old July 5th, 2014, 09:39 PM
Tyler Wirken
Tyler Wirken
1997 Defender 90 LE

Been living in Kansas City my entire life and love it. Great place to raise a family, easy to get around etc.... lots of great restaurants. Independence however is not so great overall. I would highly recommend living in Kansas City if possible. It is about a 20 or 30 min drive to Independence. Since the Kansas and Missouri state line is pretty much in the middle of the greater Kansas City area you actually live in Kansas and still be considered Kansas City. The KCMO school district is HORRIBLE to say the least. They are on the verge of loosing their accreditation so therefore public schools are not an option if you are on the Missouri side. Kansas however has great public schools. Most young people like to live on the Missouri side then as soon as they have kids they move over to Kansas to get the better schools. Not sure if that matters to you but it certainly makes a difference.
Some of the best places to live are midtown Kansas City, like Brookside, or Waldo, near the Plaza is good as well. Liberty has some good areas as well. As far as Kansas goes Overland Park is popular as well as Prairie Village. I grew up and live in the Brookside/Waldo area and love it. Overland Park Kansas is more of a suburban keep up with the jonses type of place. Midtown Kansas City is more eclectic old established neighborhoods.
As far as Horse Riding I know there are a bunch just not sure exactly which ones are good. The only one that comes to mind is Benjamin Ranch in Kansas City. Been around for years and might be what you are looking for.

As for off-roading there are some good places to go but sadly not crazy close to KC and most are off-road parks where you pay your fee and wheel for the day or weekend. The closest place is Kansas Rocks park about an hour and a half from KC. I just went down to SMORE off road park about a 3-4 hour drive and it was really great so there are options for sure. There used to be a great Rover club here but over the years it has fizzled out sadly. I would love to breath some life into it one day as I miss it badly.

Hope this helps. Feel free to shoot me an e-mail if you need more help or info and I will be happy to help as much as I can.

Will be nice to have another Rover fanatic in town. Look me up when you get here.
Old July 5th, 2014, 10:03 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
poverty is owning a horse...or a Land Rover! Dang Bill - score 2 for 2
Luckily I have been able to avoid owning a horse. My daughter rides and does the shows and loves it. Finding a good stable/school can be a pain though. She is not going to quit riding so its important.

Tyler thanks that's a lot of great info, much appreciated. We have been searching the Lee Summit area pretty heavily also the north side of KC. Iconsidered briefly living at Leavenworth post housing but it seems like a pretty long drive to Independence

Unknown Author

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
716-898-8153
Old July 5th, 2014, 10:43 PM
Tyler Wirken
Tyler Wirken
1997 Defender 90 LE

No worries. Lees Summit is also good. Yeah Leavenworth would be quite a hike I think.
Old July 6th, 2014, 01:01 PM
mattarm
Matt
1993 D110

I agree with everything that Tyler said. I would steer clear of Independence. If you want to stay closer I think that Lees Summit will be your best bet.
Old July 6th, 2014, 01:16 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

I would really like to keep the commute down to 45-60 min max this time with traffic. My current commute is 90+ min. So I'm open to commuting I'd just like it a bit shorter. My wife likes Lee's summit a lot I'm just not sure of the affordability of it on what the army gives for housing.

Unknown Author

716-898-8153
Old July 6th, 2014, 02:28 PM
mattarm
Matt
1993 D110

Anything over 30-40 minutes is a very long commute by KC standards. To Tyler's recommendation if your lived in KC and drove to Independence you would be traveling against traffic, assuming a normal 8-5 work shift.
Old July 6th, 2014, 02:52 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

0730-1600 is the normal duty hours for us. Driving on the lite traffic side would be a really nice change of pace though

Unknown Author

716-898-8153
Old July 6th, 2014, 03:27 PM
Mtanzania
Frank
1994 D1 300tdi - Sold :-(

Northland, liberty or the like. Traffic is rare when compared to a big city and not that big of a concern. I travel 25 miles each way into the city and it seldom takes more that 20-25 minutes...course people tend to move out of my way for fear of a citation:-) the vast majority of the people I work with live in the northland as our job requires us to live in Kansas City Missouri.
Old July 6th, 2014, 04:28 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

I'll just follow you then lol.

So given that you all live in Northland I'm assuming the crime is low lol. How are the schools?

Unknown Author

716-898-8153
Old July 6th, 2014, 04:36 PM
Mtanzania
Frank

Crime is definitely lower up here. Liberty schools are good
Old July 6th, 2014, 05:03 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

Good to know thanks Frank, we'll extend our search up into that area as well. I'm hoping we can find a house to rent instead of a condo this time, I'd really like to have a real driveway.

Unknown Author

716-898-8153
Old July 6th, 2014, 05:40 PM
Mtanzania
Frank

That is definitely a bonus of the Midwest...housing is much more affordable. Plenty of rental properties around
Old July 6th, 2014, 05:50 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

There does seem to be a few on the market and we have a lot of time on our side

Unknown Author

716-898-8153

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat