Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old June 10th, 2008, 06:23 PM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
So I'm taking the day off tomorrow

After waiting forever for my Defender to come from California, the day of arrival is finally upon me
What a great day to take off! Very excited to say the least.

Here is a pic for your enjoyment (and mine)

I'll try and take more tomorrow when she arrives. I'll have a lot to do over the next couple months/years. This will be a project that I will be taking my time on. I've already learned alot from everyone here (thankyou), and I hope to be a contributor in the future. Her past owner called her the "Blue Rover", so I'll just keep calling her that

Gery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 10th, 2008, 06:27 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Congrats, that is one of my favorite configurations. I nearly bought an Arles Blue st. Enjoy the new truck it will be a lot of fun and keep you busy for along time. Any plans for the truck?
Old June 10th, 2008, 06:53 PM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4
Congrats, that is one of my favorite configurations. I nearly bought an Arles Blue st. Enjoy the new truck it will be a lot of fun and keep you busy for along time. Any plans for the truck?
She's a California truck, exactly what I was looking for with minimal rust. I plan to keep her that way as much as possible.
I'm thinking preventitive things are in order to begin with along with really looking at what I've got to work with (mechanically).
She's got higher mileage, but I think this is okay since I know she's been used instead of left to sit.

On the immediate list is to get her to a good mechanic to look at her to give me the good news or bad news.
Those issues will be resolved. I want her in tip top shape mechanically. I'm sure some lines will be replaced.
Probably swop out the oil lines too.

Secondly, I plan on doing some rust prevention. Sometime this summer I'll be Waxoyling her and perhaps Rhino lining (or linux) the bumpers, side rails and other areas that might become rusty. I don't like rust, so this will be a battle to the end

I probably wont lift her immediately, since I think she'll just fit in my garage, but it will be definately done in the future, we'll see.
I have a secret plan I haven't told my wife yet to do a tdi conversion, but that's a project later down the line

She's pretty well equipped for an "almost stock" Defender, as the past owner had done some offroad upgrades including full skids, winch, dual batteries and some custom anit-theft measures. (He was planning on taking her to Central America but his plans changed) We'll see. I've got a very modded FJ Cruiser that I offroad with so I'm going to take it easy with the Blue Rover for now (I say that now, but that will probably change )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 10th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Looks nice. When I bought my green '94 soft top, the close 2nd was a '95 blue hardtop. Those two colors are my favorite - too bad I couldn't have bought both.
Old June 10th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Wow, these things are starting to really pile up here on Long Island.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old June 10th, 2008, 09:01 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Congratulations... I remember bringing my ST home for the first time... I was as giddy as a school girl. Everyday was an adventure. Get used to people checking it out and asking you questions at the gas station.

I wish I was getting a new 90 tomorrow. Congrats again.

Scott

Old June 10th, 2008, 09:35 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Congrats. Interesting winch set up on that one . . . .
Old June 11th, 2008, 12:17 AM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
Thanks for all of the responses.
Arles Blue was my first choice and white was my second. There was a blue one in GA (listed here, then on ebay) that I had my eye on a while back I almost got, but I think this one is in much better condition.

It was a tough decision between ST and SW.
I already have a white hard top offroader
http://expeditionportal.com/forum/sh...&postcount=402
(Some of you know might know me from other forums as AmityFJ)
So soft top was the way to go to round out the fun factor.

The fiberglass top on this one will give me flexibility since it also has a soft top, so I'll see how I like it with it on for a year and make a decision to switch out.

Defenders have always been an obsession of mine. We've owned a Disco 2 and now have a LR3 so this the next step to Rover bliss.
Old June 11th, 2008, 11:07 PM
JJB622
Jimmy Baker
1997 BRG D90

It looks like a nice rig. How did everything go today? I know you'll have a lot of fun with it; 6 months since I got mine and I've been driving it every chance I get (high fuel prices or not). Make sure you replace the oil cooler lines! Also, post some more pics when you get a chance.
Old June 11th, 2008, 11:27 PM
Cred
Clarence
1994 D90 #1057

Registry
Amity I am happy for you! I know you will love your D 90. I look forward to hear what you are going to do with your Defender. I know you put a lot of quality upgrades on your FJ and I am sure you will be doing the same to this rig. Looking good.
Old June 12th, 2008, 12:00 AM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJB622
It looks like a nice rig. How did everything go today? I know you'll have a lot of fun with it; 6 months since I got mine and I've been driving it every chance I get (high fuel prices or not). Make sure you replace the oil cooler lines! Also, post some more pics when you get a chance.
Just finished resizing and downloading. Had a pretty busy day.
I couldn't find a place that had a dyno that works, so I still have to get her NY state inspection sticker.
Didn't think this would take more than 30 minutes, but I guess that what you have to deal with with an 94.
I spent a couple hours looking, but I have a place I know that will be able to do it this Saturday.
Here are some shots, be it in my driveway.

And it fits in my garage!

Might be able to upgrade the suspension and still fit her in there. It has the original OEM stuff from what I can see. It feels a little soft.

I must say, she's in remarkable condition. She was all dusty from the ride across America, so I had to give her a quick wash. A little TLC is all she needs on the outside.

There are a couple things that need some attention. Very little rust, just in a few of the regular spots.
Underneath looks great.

Mechanically she's got a little work ahead of her. Getting her into 2nd gear is a little rough sometimes.
She also gets a little hot in lengthy stop and go traffic in 85+ temperature, which I had to deal with today.
It looks like she's been well kept. I went over all of the previous owners records (which were in the truck) and see he's maintained her regularly. He spent alot of money on the Blue Rover. I'll probably bring her to the Land Rover dealership nearest to me to get a overall mechanical inspection. From there I'll decide what needs to be done. I'm still in the "get to know her" phase and will probably be for a while.

Will post more as time goes buy. She's a keeper

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cred
Amity I am happy for you! I know you will love your D 90. I look forward to hear what you are going to do with your Defender. I know you put a lot of quality upgrades on your FJ and I am sure you will be doing the same to this rig. Looking good.
Thanks Clarence
The FJ will be done very soon. Got ICON LCA's, allpro LCA and rear shock skids, and some Total Chaos front control arm skids in the garage waiting to be put on. I snapped the front driver donahoe coil at Rausch and I'm waiting on warranty replacements - it's the weirdest breakage I've ever seen.
I think she will be the tank in the family.

The Blue Rover will see some mods, but I'll be more 'mod'est with her at first. There is probably a diesel conversion down the line in a couple years. We'll see.

Hope you get yours soon! We are going to have to wheel together one of these days!

Gery
Old June 12th, 2008, 06:08 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
pick up some Redline MTL itll help 2nd gear.
Old June 13th, 2008, 08:52 PM
AggieD90
Kevin Collins
'95 AA Yellow & '97 Willow Green

Mine will just barely go in my garage with OME springs/shocks and 265/75s. I have what looks to be the same standard height door you do.

I miss my old house with an 8' door. The LE would fit with lift, 33s and a SD roof rack.
Old June 14th, 2008, 02:37 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Nice! Break out the socket set and get that top off!
Old June 16th, 2008, 10:54 AM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
Thanks for the info on the Redline MTL, I've read up on it and I'll mention it to the mechanics. Got her scheduled next week to be looked over by LR will probably get a tune up and address any serious issues immediately. I looked at the fuel lines and it looks like the previous owner wrapped some fire retardant material around the lines. It looks protected, but I will see if I can get the stainless steel ones shortly. I don't think there are any serious mechanical issues and she's running strong. I also have contacted Scott at Expedition Imports (In Long Island and recommended). I'm going to have to take off a weekday to meet up with him, but I'm sure to do that in July. I want to get a good mechanic that I can get to know and trust.

I think I'll try and keep the Fiberglass top on for a little while and see if I like her like that. Its probably easy to take off, but a PITA to put back on. I've downloaded the instructions from here and I'll stay away for now . She's got a semi okay (condition) looking softop that I will probably keep in storage for now.

She barely fits in the garage as is. I think I have about two inches to spare (if that). I'm going to have to take a precise measure sometime this week. It will determine if I'll lift her or not.

The setup I want will probably be OME, with RYM RR4 fronts and RR3 rear, but that might not be workable with my clearance issue. I might go with billsteins on stock for now and build her up later. The tires have alot of mileage left in them so they are good to go right now.

I spent the better part of Saturday sprucing up the inside. The previous owner used her well down in the baja. There is dust and dirt that I will never be able to completely remove LOL!
Old June 16th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmityD90
Just finished resizing and downloading. Had a pretty busy day.
I couldn't find a place that had a dyno that works, so I still have to get her NY state inspection sticker.
Didn't think this would take more than 30 minutes, but I guess that what you have to deal with with an 94.
Yeah, I'm finding the same problem as well. With most cars being OBD-II now, they don't support the OBD-I test dyno's anywhere near as well as they used to. Getting hard to have a pre-'96 car inspected these days in NY.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old June 16th, 2008, 12:55 PM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
Yeah, I'm finding the same problem as well. With most cars being OBD-II now, they don't support the OBD-I test dyno's anywhere near as well as they used to. Getting hard to have a pre-'96 car inspected these days in NY.

-Hans
I was able to get it done at Land Rover Massapequa.
I went to a number of different places, no luck. The machinery is old and it's very costly to replace and/or maintain. Alot of the shops are just letting them go. It's not worth the $37 to do the work. I started calling around to see if their dynos were working. I found one or two, but in the end I was able to get it done there. Let me know if you need a place to go. Apparently Land Rovers is working, but I have another place that does alot of older commercial trucks that maintains their dynos.

Gery
Old June 17th, 2008, 10:37 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
Truck looks great, Do a gillette driveby Next time you stop to see the parents.
You might see a Black ST on your way over, its right in Sayville. I stopped one day because I thought it might be you, he has an LR3 also!
Good luck with it.
Old June 18th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Word of caution on the fiberglass top. Those tops don't go on and off like a Jeep roof. It is not something to take off for the weekend, in my experience.

Each time I put mine on and off, new hairline cracks would develop (and I'd like to think I was careful). The top panels are not very rigid, and certain places on each panel have a tendency to bend when positioning them on or off. Do it once, and you'll see what I mean. They should have made this out of aluminum.

Once installed, the top works pretty well considering it was an afterthought when designed. They simply aren't designed to go on and off repeatedly like other tops.

That said, I'm pretty happy with my new soft top. I don't think the fiberglass will be back on anytime soon.
Old June 19th, 2008, 10:34 AM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomaco1
Truck looks great, Do a gillette driveby Next time you stop to see the parents.
You might see a Black ST on your way over, its right in Sayville. I stopped one day because I thought it might be you, he has an LR3 also!
Good luck with it.
It's a great LR combo. LR3+D90. LR3=Comfy ride with bells and whistles, D90=Head turner and ego booster

I haven't brought her to Blue Point yet, but my sister and brother in law are very jealous and want to see her. They own a white Disco 1 and I've been trying to talk them into fixing her up for real offroading so we can do 4x4 adventures together. I think I got him hooked when I took him to Rausch in the FJ, so we'll see.

Will have to shoot over one of these days with the D90, but we don't want to put our baby in the back yet. Still sorting things out making sure all is safe and good to go. Hopefully the new stainless oil cooler lines will arrive soon (first upgrade) and I won't feel paranoid about it. Will send you a PM if I'm heading that way. Will probably be one of the upcoming weekends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragland
Word of caution on the fiberglass top. Those tops don't go on and off like a Jeep roof. It is not something to take off for the weekend, in my experience.

Each time I put mine on and off, new hairline cracks would develop (and I'd like to think I was careful). The top panels are not very rigid, and certain places on each panel have a tendency to bend when positioning them on or off. Do it once, and you'll see what I mean. They should have made this out of aluminum.

Once installed, the top works pretty well considering it was an afterthought when designed. They simply aren't designed to go on and off repeatedly like other tops.

That said, I'm pretty happy with my new soft top. I don't think the fiberglass will be back on anytime soon.
I'm set on keeping her on for a while. There is a little hairline crack that's been epoxyed, probably from taking it off and put back on. I used to own a Jeep YJ back in the day and know it's a project to do the switch. I'm thinking when I do eventually take it off, it will be for a long time. The fiberglass top has the optional sliding windows in the back, so It'll give me pretty good ventilation if needed. I'm sure when my kid is a little older, it's going to come off for some open air trips

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat