So if Engine swapping isn't legal, why are 'gliders" legal? - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old June 12th, 2015, 06:52 PM
carlosz
Carlos
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP

Registry
I am a va licensed emissions inspector, amongst many other technicalities of epa regulations, it states.
1-it is unlawful to install a larger displacement engine than the vehicle's original equipment
2-it is unlawful to install an older model year engine than the chassis model year
3- it is unlawful to install a heavy duty engine in a light duty chassis
4-it is unlawful to remove or render inoperable any part of the emissions system of a vehicle
5-any replacement engine must be epa certified.
6-any replacement engine must have all required emissions equipment installed and operating per vehicles' emissions label.

personally I think it is easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission.. thus do the swap
and file with epa, don't ask epa to allow you to do the swap....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 13th, 2015, 12:25 AM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
Why just look at it? Shit man, light it up!

Bob Marley drove a 109, mon.
Legal here July 1st my friend.
Old June 13th, 2015, 12:35 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosz View Post
I am a va licensed emissions inspector, amongst many other technicalities of epa regulations, it states.
1-it is unlawful to install a larger displacement engine than the vehicle's original equipment
2-it is unlawful to install an older model year engine than the chassis model year
4-it is unlawful to remove or render inoperable any part of the emissions system of a vehicle
6-any replacement engine must have all required emissions equipment installed and operating per vehicles' emissions label.

personally I think it is easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission.. thus do the swap
That's very interesting about the rule regarding the displacement of the engine. So those LS swaps are illegal, as are putting a 4.6 Rover V8 in a NAS Defender. So mine could actually be the first legal engine conversion in a NAS Defender...-> smaller displacement, newer model year, same class (light duty), all required emissions equipment & produces lower emissions, same fuel type, and EPA certified. Pretty rad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 13th, 2015, 12:58 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
If it's illegal, it must be fun. Why else would it be illegal. Lol
Old June 13th, 2015, 01:00 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosz View Post

Well that takes every Chevy/Ford/Mopar big block, crate engined hemi powered hot road off the road.

Suppose there is always supercharging.
Old June 13th, 2015, 01:49 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Then there is this story. The car manufacturers want to make it illegal to work on your own vehicle.
https://www.yahoo.com/autos/s/gm-for...160000229.html
Of course this will only affect newer vehicles with computers.
Old June 13th, 2015, 01:55 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
I believe the spirit of the law is that you shouldn't remove or alter the engine of a car so as to circumvent the emission standard. It makes sense of course. Who would put an engine in their car that would fail state emissions testing? Who would alter or remove emission control provisions that would fail state emissions testing? Only a fool, that's who.
So any pre OBD IV vehicle gets a bye more or less as long as they can pass the tailpipe CO test. In that regard anything goes as long as you can get it past The Man.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old June 14th, 2015, 10:15 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
Who would alter or remove emission control provisions that would fail state emissions testing? Only a fool, that's who.
A fool with historic tags, and clogged cats, maybe...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Present:
1960 SII 109"- "Red Square"
1984 90 Tdi- "Yamelo"
1988 RRC- "Chewbacca"
1987 RRC- "Chewy 2"
2008 RRS SC- "The Supersofa"

Past:
1959 SII 88"- "The Little Green Beastie" last seen in NY
1972 SIII 88"- "GreenHELL" now in NC
1988 90 "Eric the Half a Bee" half a truck, sold for parts
1991 RRC- never got a name- long since recycled
Old June 14th, 2015, 04:10 PM
carlosz
Carlos
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP

Registry
I raised the question and concern regarding japanese import tunners and engine swapping..ie prelude drive train into civic body....
instructor responded with (grey area) "althou it is a larger displacement engine for which the chassis is is not designed as long as all emissions components which the civic chassis is supposed to have, and there and in working order, the vehicle can be tested, if it passes well, if it does not the owner must address the issue as to why it failed.
the prelude engine may have components which the civic chassis does not list on its label, example EGR valve
if such is the case the inspector cannot fail for extra components but can fail for lack of components as it is
tampering."
addinng turbos, superchargers, blowers, stroking, boring or other means of power adders is not illegal so as long as emissions systems components remain installed and operable"
my way of looking at it ... it is grey area...so technically for inspection purposes we can switch to a 4.6 as long as we tell the inspector we still have what the label says we should have in there.

it is a very long 20 hrs class it is broken in four segments one of then deals with all kinds of legalities, swaps customs, upgrades etc. basically you can do anything so as long as you keep it "legal"... wink wink...
Old June 14th, 2015, 07:07 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by transientmechanic View Post
Well it is, by the letter of the law...

He probably just doesnt understand that the USA has literally millions of unenforceable regulations that are largely ingnored.

However, not to play devils advocate but following Will H's fight with the CBP and the subsequent egg on their face, it wouldnt be a stretch to imagine CBP calling their friends at the EPA and nudging them about this regulation......
Part of the reason that case fell apart was that EPA declined to get involved. They have no enforcement staff to track down engine swappers. Some of the key desks/positions @ EPA are filled by contractors, ie not even govt employees.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
engine