So I rolled my truck this weekend...Twice! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old October 4th, 2006, 06:37 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

So I rolled my truck this weekend...Twice!

I am bummed that I don't have any pics of it on its side. I didn't have my camera and it was a night run so it probably wouldn't have looked good anyway.

So heres what happened. Running a new trail (brand new) there was a cavern that was just a few inches wider than my rig (so I found out). I slid into it on the passenger side and rolled to that side. This roll was rather soft and I still had two tires on the ground. I was able to drive out of the roll only to pull my front back over to the right and roll frekin hard on the drivers side. That roll was bad. 1 tire on the ground. Believe it or not because I was on a steep downslope I was able to drive out of the second roll too.

Everybody was okay but I am very sore and my buddy in the back has some real bad bruises on his arm and shoulder. He was in his belt but still racked the cage.

Here are the pics. The truck has seen better days, but all in all, not too bad. The roll cage on the drivers side is pretty bad. I need to cut two sections out and reweld. But the body on that side is basically untouched. The passenger side roll was the easier one but you can see that the rock went past the cage and racked the body. It is hard to see but the body is pushed in bad. All the way to the seat. I have to pull it all back out. The pics really don't do justice. I am happy I ended up with the cage I did!

BTW: I was the only vehicle to make this section on my own power, and no vehicle made it without rolling.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010565.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	6957   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010566.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	6958  

Name:	P1010567.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	6959   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010571.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	6960  

Name:	P1010573.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	6961   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010572.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	6962  

Name:	P1010569.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	6963   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010570.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	6964  

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 4th, 2006, 06:50 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Hey Buck,

Glad to see that the roll cage took most of the abuse. So....a new trail at night huh?

Live hard, play hard!
Old October 4th, 2006, 07:56 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

Well... at least everyone was OK. your cage seems to have held up well though. Sucks about the minor body damage... but it was pretty minor compared to what could have happened.

As the proverb states ... "It could have been worse"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 4th, 2006, 08:30 PM
97D90
Andrew Walcker
1997 Defender 90 LE

You represented the D-90 world well! ROCK ON!!!
Old October 4th, 2006, 08:52 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Good for you! Broken bones heal and chicks dig scars! I always look back on things like this with fondness--if it were not for "episodes", life would suck. Good for you and glad you are alright. I have a replacement front indicator--I will send it out to you. PM me where you want it sent.

Chris
Old October 5th, 2006, 12:48 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Thanks a lot guys! It was a fun weekend. I spanked some rocks and the D is finally dialed in. On the last section of Sledge Hammer it took our group leader and one other vehicle 45 minutes to get through. I ended up doing it in less than one minute! I couldn't be happier with how I set the truck up. Now I just get to enjoy it!

Follow-up Post:

Only resized pic from this weekend:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	shaft.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	6971  

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old October 5th, 2006, 12:59 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
what constitutes a roll?
Old October 5th, 2006, 01:20 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4
what constitutes a roll?
Being flat or past flat on your side.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old October 5th, 2006, 01:29 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
Thanks a lot guys! It was a fun weekend. I spanked some rocks and the D is finally dialed in. On the last section of Sledge Hammer it took our group leader and one other vehicle 45 minutes to get through. I ended up doing it in less than one minute! I couldn't be happier with how I set the truck up. Now I just get to enjoy it!

Follow-up Post:

Only resized pic from this weekend:
Nice Hippy Machine Dave. Where do you put your bong when you have to shift?

Nice to see that cage finally put to the test (and that everyone was ok). How did others fair carnage-wise?

DJ
Old October 5th, 2006, 01:37 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Yeah I guess we finally have to give props to the cage we have been bagging on you about for so long, that it seems to have done what its there to do and keep you safe and prevent more damage. Nice.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old October 5th, 2006, 01:49 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

[QUOTE=Buckon37s
Only resized pic from this weekend:[/QUOTE]

That is the sickest VW syncro I have ever seen!!!

Your rig is so sweet David... lets see some more trail pics in action.
Old October 5th, 2006, 02:03 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Menasco
Nice Hippy Machine Dave. Where do you put your bong when you have to shift?

Nice to see that cage finally put to the test (and that everyone was ok). How did others fair carnage-wise?

DJ

Hey! It's not the first time I have used that cage!! But, the other ones were very slow and light kinda bumps where I knew I was going to flop. This one was hard enough to hurt my jaw because I had my teeth clenched in anticipation. Thanks for all the kind words guys. Means a lot

There was a lot of carnage and mangled metal. Big breaks too. It was a crazy weekend. I was the only one to run the 4th canyon of sledge, made it with backing up once. It was all and more than I wanted to bite off. A lot of fun to not break anything other than a d-shaft which I had spares.

Here's a couple more from earlier saturday. The entrance to the 4th canyon of sledge and the last one is my buddy showing what the 4th canyon looks like from the top. It was insane. I was surprised I made it through as easy as I did.

Edit: One more poser pic.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Travel.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	6972   Click image for larger version

Name:	Canyon4.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	155.8 KB
ID:	6973  

Name:	poser.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	6974  

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old October 5th, 2006, 02:19 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
damn. thats pretty crucial. It looks hard enough to walk up much less drive a 4wd up.
Old October 5th, 2006, 06:35 PM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

you might not roll so much if you would take that 400lb tire off the top of your cage!!! Just kidding Dave, looks like fun...see you in Las Cruces in Feb??

Tis
Old October 5th, 2006, 06:51 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteD90
you might not roll so much if you would take that 400lb tire off the top of your cage!!! Just kidding Dave, looks like fun...see you in Las Cruces in Feb??

Tis
The frekin safety people made me carry my spare!! I usually don't have it with me. And, official weight, 76LB. I was actually impressed with how stable the truck was. There was a guy there with a cool buggy on 42's with 8 lug wheels. He didn't have a spare and they weren't going to let him ride the trails. So the guy pulls the spare out of his tow rig and throws it in the back. 31in spare. We were all pulling for him to have a blowout so we could see him pimp the 31in tire!

As to the CC I will be there! Assuming nothing goes wrong!

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old October 5th, 2006, 07:25 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
Hey! It's not the first time I have used that cage!! But, the other ones were very slow and light kinda bumps where I knew I was going to flop. This one was hard enough to hurt my jaw because I had my teeth clenched in anticipation. Thanks for all the kind words guys. Means a lot

There was a lot of carnage and mangled metal. Big breaks too. It was a crazy weekend. I was the only one to run the 4th canyon of sledge, made it with backing up once. It was all and more than I wanted to bite off. A lot of fun to not break anything other than a d-shaft which I had spares.

Here's a couple more from earlier saturday. The entrance to the 4th canyon of sledge and the last one is my buddy showing what the 4th canyon looks like from the top. It was insane. I was surprised I made it through as easy as I did.

Edit: One more poser pic.

I know, I know, but those were just "tilts" and didn't jolt the tub and cage like this one did.

Holy Shnikys!
I was looking at the boulders before I noticed the road down below.

Does your buddy UFC?

DJ
Old October 5th, 2006, 07:47 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Menasco
I know, I know, but those were just "tilts" and didn't jolt the tub and cage like this one did.

Holy Shnikys!
I was looking at the boulders before I noticed the road down below.

Does your buddy UFC?

DJ
Yeah,

The pic hardly does justice!

No UFC, but we became friends after meeting while we trained together. We both took MMA from 98 to 04 or so. Actually, we trained with what was at the time the only full contact school in San Diego. We both took it extremely seriously for a couple years there, too seriously. Even fought in a handful of full contact matches. Now we just order the fights and drink beer.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old October 6th, 2006, 12:29 AM
needsaD110
Ben
97 D90 #1345

good to hear you made it out safe with only min. damage, most other d-90's here would have had horrible damage if we did that!!! BTW are those fox air shocks?
Old October 6th, 2006, 12:48 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by needsaD110
good to hear you made it out safe with only min. damage, most other d-90's here would have had horrible damage if we did that!!! BTW are those fox air shocks?
The cage def saved my butt! The rear shocks are 16in Sway-a-way airshocks. The front are 14in Fox coilovers.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old October 6th, 2006, 06:26 AM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
Great rig Dave, you make us proud! The minimal damage is testament to your Rover's build. Impressed with the drive
outs from the rolls! SWEET!. That trail looks like a truck eater..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat