Snowplow Ideas - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 29th, 2006, 07:54 PM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1990 Perentie GS

Snowplow Ideas

Anyone ever put a snow plow on their D90?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 5th, 2006, 10:53 PM
devinchi
Tim Brown
'95 D90 ST '99D2

well, for the cost of attempting to set-up a plow on your D90 (which may require some custom work) I would think that looking in the local classifieds for a yard plow rig for $500 or less would be a better idea, so you don't beat the snot out of your rover.
Old May 6th, 2006, 12:23 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinhnj
Anyone ever put a snow plow on their D90?
Yes, there are many people running ARB bumpers on this board. I believe it's a bolt on kit.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 6th, 2006, 07:08 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
Yes, there are many people running ARB bumpers on this board. I believe it's a bolt on kit.
lol Exactly...

Look for a J##p to plow with . Never a D... That would be like mowing your lawn with a Tux on..
Old May 6th, 2006, 11:26 AM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Quote:
HEY! That wasn't very nice Davy! I get just as many panties clogged in my ARB as my windshield! As odd as it is I seem to remember a guy installing one on his D90. He made the post (with pictures) on the old forum. I'll see if I can find it.

DJ
Old May 6th, 2006, 12:07 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Cost considerations aside, face it guys, a fricking snow blade hanging off the front of your truck would look uber-bitchin. Its the kind of thing you coul talk yourself into "needing."
Old May 6th, 2006, 12:56 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Menasco
HEY! That wasn't very nice Davy! I get just as many panties clogged in my ARB as my windshield! As odd as it is I seem to remember a guy installing one on his D90. He made the post (with pictures) on the old forum. I'll see if I can find it.

DJ

Sorry, but I couldn't find the link.
Old May 6th, 2006, 01:57 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Meyer actually made a set up for the D90. I saw one in person once.
Old May 6th, 2006, 02:00 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:

DJ

You are right and I do fully apologize. I forgot that ARB's are an excellent way to prevent panties from clogging your cooling system!

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old May 8th, 2006, 09:28 PM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1990 Perentie GS

I didn't think I would get this much opposition to putting on a plow. One guy even told me that the frame wouldn't take it. Isn't this vehicle used like a tractor in G.B.? You mean that people can tetor their Defenders on 2 wheels while rock crawling, but I can't put a plow on her? Can anyone back me up?

I was planning on doing the mount fabrication myself. I intend to make it so I can remove the entire thing with some heavy duty clevis pins. This way I would not ruin my approach angle. I don't do any heavy duty off-roading as it is. I only plow my drive and the neighbors, so it's not like I'm running a buisness with it.

I am going to waxoyl the frame this summer and install a dual Optima Yellow top battery set up like the one on Expedition Exchange. I was thinking about hooking up the plow to say, Batt #2 with a battery selector switch so that when I am plowing, I can switch to just Batt #1 so the alternator will not see the large current draw when operating the plow. Then when I'm finished, I can just switch back to both batteries. Anyone see any gross conceptual errors with this setup?

Thaks in advance for the smartaleck remarks, makes me feel at home (as a Navy Submariner)
Old May 8th, 2006, 09:58 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinhnj
I didn't think I would get this much opposition to putting on a plow. One guy even told me that the frame wouldn't take it. Isn't this vehicle used like a tractor in G.B.? You mean that people can tetor their Defenders on 2 wheels while rock crawling, but I can't put a plow on her? Can anyone back me up?

I was planning on doing the mount fabrication myself. I intend to make it so I can remove the entire thing with some heavy duty clevis pins. This way I would not ruin my approach angle. I don't do any heavy duty off-roading as it is. I only plow my drive and the neighbors, so it's not like I'm running a buisness with it.

I am going to waxoyl the frame this summer and install a dual Optima Yellow top battery set up like the one on Expedition Exchange. I was thinking about hooking up the plow to say, Batt #2 with a battery selector switch so that when I am plowing, I can switch to just Batt #1 so the alternator will not see the large current draw when operating the plow. Then when I'm finished, I can just switch back to both batteries. Anyone see any gross conceptual errors with this setup?

Thaks in advance for the smartaleck remarks, makes me feel at home (as a Navy Submariner)
Yes, the frame will handle a plow no problem. Not that I have first hand experience, but I am positive there would be no issue there. People here just don't like the idea because they love Defenders the way they are. But if EE sold a snow plow kit, that would be a different story! (for snuffer, that was a joke)

Seriously, its your rig, I say go for it. Why not. Good luck. Post up pics.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old May 8th, 2006, 11:47 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Maybe a hydraulic PTO would make the snowplow thing easier? I love the concept of a hydraulic PTO.
Old May 9th, 2006, 01:12 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Quote:
You are right and I do fully apologize. I forgot that ARB's are an excellent way to prevent panties from clogging your cooling system!

Hehehe, Apology Accepted.

You know one of these days I think you need to post a picture of your rig with the "would-be" panites on them. I'd make it my new Avatar as long as you weren't in them!
Old May 9th, 2006, 09:54 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Hehehe, Apology Accepted.

You know one of these days I think you need to post a picture of your rig with the "would-be" panites on them. I'd make it my new Avatar as long as you weren't in them!
Well,

I'll take it soon and drive by the local Junior college and then take a few pics. That should just about do it! Really, I can't miss the opportunity to be in the DJ Avatar! I'll have to get to work on this!

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat