Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 8th, 2009, 03:00 AM
CDN90
Tim
94 / D90 #79

SnowBird Looking for Property close to Wheeling

Hey D90 folks and Horsey Boy,

I live in Vancouver, Canada and would like to buy property down south close to the west coast...me and my new found D90 dont do well in the cold!

Any tips would help, being that i dont know much about the USA way of living. All i know is property / etc is so much more affordable across the border. Here the average home around 1600s.f. is about $700,000+!!! and gas is aprrox $4.20 a US gallon!!!
Thinking of purchasing something while the dollar exchange rate is good.

Looking for the following:

1. A state that have red rocks: Nevada / Arizona / Utah / California...Nice Lakes!
  2. A state that has the lowest taxes and cost of living
  3. The best city for quality of life (wheeling)
  4. The best House deals to be had (investment)
  5. a city with the most boost wheels
Thanks, also a rough idea of expected costs...i hope i am not asking to much!

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 8th, 2009, 05:05 AM
disco dog
Tracy Dwyer
2002 D110 TD5

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN90

I live in Vancouver, Canada and would like to buy property down south close to the west coast...me and my new found D90 dont do well in the cold!

Any tips would help, being that i dont know much about the USA way of living. All i know is property / etc is so much more affordable across the border. Here the average home around 1600s.f. is about $700,000+!!! and gas is aprrox $4.20 a US gallon!!!

1. A state that have red rocks: Nevada / Arizona / Utah / California...Nice Lakes!

Tim
Go further south, Costa Rica, plenty of wheeling, cheap taxes, depending on how much Imperial you drink, the rocks may look red, when my container gets there it will have the most boost wheels, and I may even have horsey boy down for a stay
Old December 8th, 2009, 06:23 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I was like why would anyone want to move near wheeling west virginia!
Advertisement

Old December 8th, 2009, 06:41 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
You can probably get everything on your list, but shipping to Canada is gonna be killer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old December 8th, 2009, 07:55 AM
stu454
Stu
2007 LR3

Somewhere near Provo or SLC, UT???

California taxes will strangle you. Live in NV or UT and go to Cali to visit; it is beautiful with an incredible variety of wheeling opportunities from the Sierras to Mojave.
Old December 8th, 2009, 09:33 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN90

Tim
No place fits your requirements better than the Nevada side of Lake Tahoe.

Run the rubicon and Hammers. Go skiing, beautiful lake. No income taxes, cheaper houses, ect.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old December 8th, 2009, 10:19 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

You might want to look at Moab, red rocks everywhere, tons of trails within 15 min each direction, tons of active things to do in the area and each time I have looked property values keep going up. Still pissed at myself for not buying there about 7 years ago when I was looking.

Winter is short and mild compared to where I live in Colorado

Costa Rica is also on the top of my list, I would like to buy a place down there just not sure where yet as I have only been a few places.
Old December 8th, 2009, 10:35 AM
disco dog
Tracy Dwyer
2002 D110 TD5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_lucas
You might want to look at Moab, red rocks everywhere, tons of trails within 15 min each direction, tons of active things to do in the area and each time I have looked property values keep going up. Still pissed at myself for not buying there about 7 years ago when I was looking.

Costa Rica is also on the top of my list, I would like to buy a place down there just not sure where yet as I have only been a few places.
I can help with that! Lots of people from Colorado in my area, and lots of D110's
Old December 8th, 2009, 01:43 PM
CDN90
Tim
94 / D90 #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco dog
Go further south, Costa Rica, plenty of wheeling, cheap taxes, depending on how much Imperial you drink, the rocks may look red, when my container gets there it will have the most boost wheels, and I may even have horsey boy down for a stay
Costa Rica...i almost bought property in Progreso Yucatan, mexico...glad i didn't. Drop like 40% since march 2009! always worried about investng in foriegn countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
I was like why would anyone want to move near wheeling west virginia!
West Virginia...is there any boost wheels there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu454
Somewhere near Provo or SLC, UT???

California taxes will strangle you. Live in NV or UT and go to Cali to visit; it is beautiful with an incredible variety of wheeling opportunities from the Sierras to Mojave.
Yeah Cali is nice but Vancouver has it beat for at least 6 monts of the year! I have been looking into Nevada, seems to good to be true with regards the cost of houses. New homes outside of vegas for $110,000!? I have an apartment in Vancouver that is less than 500s.f. and it over $300,000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
No place fits your requirements better than the Nevada side of Lake Tahoe.

Run the rubicon and Hammers. Go skiing, beautiful lake. No income taxes, cheaper houses, ect.
Sounds Perfect! thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_lucas

Again Costa Rica!? I will have to look at this for a vacation first! Yeah i looked at Moab and it was much pricier than i thought...if i could live close enough to travel in a few hours that would be perfect!
Old December 8th, 2009, 01:59 PM
specops1526
Brian
Beluga '97 90

If you go to Costa Rica, buy a NEW defender there! Plus the place is awesome...win, win situation.

-->
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4
Old December 8th, 2009, 02:04 PM
CDN90
Tim
94 / D90 #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by specops1526
If you go to Costa Rica, buy a NEW defender there! Plus the place is awesome...win, win situation.
Alrighty, i will check it out...need a holiday in January. To much time on the computer, its sucking the life out of me!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	computer-nerd.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	23507  
Old December 8th, 2009, 02:47 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
That kid isn't trying not to be separated from that computer, he's just holding on to anything to prevent being seen in that nasty little Citroen/Fiat/Renault/Seat with his dad.

Old December 8th, 2009, 03:01 PM
stu454
Stu
2007 LR3

The bottom fell out of the NV, AZ and Cali housing markets. If you've got cash now is the time to buy (Sorry that sounds like a commercial).
Old December 8th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Paul Davis
Paul Davis
97 ST

I can tell you first hand the rumors of getting a house in Las Vegas for a song is a damned lie. I had an absolutely terrible time when buying in July. Most of what you hear refers to short sales, which are anything but short in duration. The houses that are really cheap are that way for a reason. Most of the houses are all foreclosures and require at least some $$$ to make it okay. There are still a lot of moving trucks around in the middle of night getting out just before eviction.

I sound bitter but honestly I am not. Just listen to others and, in Nevada, buy near Reno.
Old December 8th, 2009, 04:46 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

I would suggest taking a wait and see attitude before buying in the U.S. for a while.

I think the tax climate here is really going to change in the not too distant future... and not for the better.

(In other words, another vote for Costa Rica !)
Old December 8th, 2009, 06:57 PM
disco dog
Tracy Dwyer
2002 D110 TD5

When you guys are ready to experince Costa Rica let me know, I'd be happy to help out or house you. D110 rides extra.
Old December 9th, 2009, 12:21 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
When you guys are ready to experince Costa Rica let me know, I'd be happy to help out or house you. D110 rides extra.
You have no idea how much trouble you just got yourself into!

I love that place. Want to come back bad!!!

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old December 9th, 2009, 02:14 AM
CDN90
Tim
94 / D90 #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYM
I would suggest taking a wait and see attitude before buying in the U.S. for a while.

I think the tax climate here is really going to change in the not too distant future... and not for the better.

(In other words, another vote for Costa Rica !)
Well if you get any type of health care like us, you will be paying silly taxes for long lineups!
For every dollar i make, i get to hold about $0.35. if i am lucky!!!

Quote:
Very Kind offer, i will for sure look into Costa Rica looks beautiful so far for the past hour of surfing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs
Vegas sucks. Try Carson City.

-Jeff
Very Nice mix of terrains...thanks!
Old December 9th, 2009, 03:10 AM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs
Vegas sucks. Try Carson City.

-Jeff
Agreed. Carson City is pretty cool... Minden (just south) is beautiful also.

Hate to be the nay sayer Buck, but anything on or near lake tahoe ups the price big time. The nevada side can some times be more $$ because of the tax shelter. Look at Zepher cove
Old December 9th, 2009, 08:16 AM
disco dog
Tracy Dwyer
2002 D110 TD5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
You have no idea how much trouble you just got yourself into!

I love that place. Want to come back bad!!!
Did I add that my 110 has boost wheels?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
wheel