Snow Performance - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 13th, 2007, 01:04 PM
JBOD77
Jonathan
1995 D90 ST Beluga Black

Snow Performance

So after driving a J**p Gr**d Cher**ee for the past 6 years, I finally found the D90 I was looking for in August of this year. Quick question. My D90 is my daily driver, and while I was comfortable with the J**p in the snow, I don't know how the D will handle in the slop. I've driven Wra***ers in the snow and they suck mostly cause they're so light. I know the D90 is considerably heavier than the J**p so it should handle better in the snow than the J**p did right??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 13th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
d90 is fulll time 4wd. if you can't drive a d90 in the snow then you are doing something wrong. my old 88 was all over the road in 2wd. put it in high 4 and it tracked like a dream. same with the 109, though not as bad. the long wheelbase definitely helps keep things pointed in the right direction as may have been the case with your Cheep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBOD77
So after driving a J**p Gr**d Cher**ee for the past 6 years, I finally found the D90 I was looking for in August of this year. Quick question. My D90 is my daily driver, and while I was comfortable with the J**p in the snow, I don't know how the D will handle in the slop. I've driven Wra***ers in the snow and they suck mostly cause they're so light. I know the D90 is considerably heavier than the J**p so it should handle better in the snow than the J**p did right??
Old December 13th, 2007, 01:33 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

As with anything, as long as you use your head you will be fine. It tracks well, turns well, and generally does very good in the snow. The full time 4wd helps with steering, especially in the deeper snow like we have been getting occasionally the last few years. Go 70mph around a tight corner, and you will learn the difference between an oak and a maple real fast.

But remember it is heavy, so brake early. It doesn't have ABS, so brake gently and pump the pedal when needed. If you are having a lot of sliding or tracking issues most likely it's crappy tires for snow use. I had some michelins on mine when I got it, and things got real exciting from time to time. Replaced them with a set of mud and snow rated coopers, and it's a dream to drive.

Oh, and be careful with the parking brake. If it's below freezing out, and the roads are really wet and slushy, you can get water inside the drum that freezes it up after it cools down. So try not to use the parking brake too much if you don't have to in those situations. Park it on a level spot and put it in a high gear.

The difference from a Wrangler will be very noticeable if it was the original version, though a lot of it has to do with that crappy front-shackle suspension setup on the leaf sprung jeeps. My CJ tracks like total garbage even on dry roads, and when you start dealing with deeper snow, the nose just swings around on the shackles. It's one of the few things I really hate about jeeps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 13th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Even the TJs are pretty miserable in the snow. The biggest problem is the wheelbase and usually lack of ABS. They aren't as light as you would think, but are certainly much lighter than a D90. Our GM was thinking of buying a TJ trade-in for his daughter. He was going to drive it home one night in the snow and I warned him that they aren't good at all and he should be careful and probably reconsider buying it for his 16yr old daughter to drive in Chicago winters. He kind of shrugged it off but when I asked him how it was the next day he said..."Ugh! I got about 2 miles away and came back to get a real car!" haha
Old December 14th, 2007, 08:20 AM
Eric_S
Eric
'97 D-90 ST #1507

They're great in the snow.
We got hammered here last night and driving home 10 miles at 7:00pm. I waited for all the people who don't know haw to drive in the snow to get off the roads. With 8 inches of snow on the ground she performed flawlessly as usual. Just take it easy - slow and steady wins the race - and you'll have no worries.
Oh and as was mentioned before get good tires.
Old December 14th, 2007, 08:30 AM
JBOD77
Jonathan
1995 D90 ST Beluga Black

tires are stock BFG's. Maybe for the summer I'll splurge for some mud terrains. Really like the look. Got about 2 inches here yesterday and everything was sweet. Only mistake I made was leaving the office early with all the idiots. if it weren't for the traffic it would have been nothing to speak of. STAY HOME IN THE SNOW UNLESS YOU HAVE TO GO OUT!!!!! or know how to drive in winter weather. I guess I was concerned for nothing. Actually seemed better than my old Grand Cherokee. Might have some thing to do with the 5 speed over the automatic. It's nice to not have to use the brakes as much. Now all I need is some REAL snow!
Old December 14th, 2007, 10:41 AM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

i don't know why these clowns are bashing the wrangler, I drove one for 6 years in all kinds of snow conditions in various tire/lift configurations(i'll admit the 35x15 inch thornburgs where a huge mistake), as with anything snow and ice related stopping is a huge problem, but after that i had no issues... of course my 330xi handles a thousand times better in the snow then my D or the jeep ever have, but of course i've only used it in snow up to 10 inches deep.
Old December 14th, 2007, 11:15 AM
JBOD77
Jonathan
1995 D90 ST Beluga Black

It's not really a wrangler bashing. All that was really said is that they don't handle all that well in the snow because of the lack of weight. My co-worker has driven a rear wheel drive pickup his entire life and nothing stops him. It's more about the operator and less about the vehicle. However, The question I raised was in comparison to other 4 wheel drive vehicles. I guess what I'm trying to say is, if you put a person with little to no 4 wheel or winter weather driving experience in 8 inches of snow, in a wrangler and then a grand cherokee or a defender or whatever 4wheel drive heavier than a wrangler, they're gonna prefer the heavier vehicle. again it's all about experience and the ability of the operator.
Old December 14th, 2007, 11:42 AM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

I've got enough miles in Jeeps that I'm not looking for improved capabilities with the RRC, though I understand the LWB is supposed to be "the sh!t" in the snow... I've never gotten a Jeep stuck in the snow except at the end of our driveway when I piled the snow up 3 feet thick (heavy wet snow) and my wife (passenger) freaked when a plow was coming and thought we'd be in the way, so I stopped... right on top of the pile of snow, high-centered.

I love snow driving, and look forward to both my Jeep at the RRC this winter (if we ever get some damned real weather!!!).
Old December 14th, 2007, 11:55 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Wrangler is ok in the snow/ice (better than the lotus!), but the locked center diff makes things interesting.

LWB is the best of the rovers I have had. The freelander was the best in the snow I ever drove. Almost as good as an audi with blizzaks

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat