Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 27th, 2005, 11:15 AM
Rover- Girl

snow chains

Someone told me that they had gotten out of several ' stuck' situations
using snow chains to free themself
I kinda don't believe it...
What do you all think !? Facr or Fiction !!??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 27th, 2005, 11:43 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

They help a allot, but they are a pain to put on! And then you need to take them off when you hit the road and chances are they will be very dirty. All the loggers around here use chains on their trail only trucks year round. If you plan on running chains hard don't bother with the little rudd chains everyone gets, they are fine for snow and ice but if you snagg a root or rock they are done. And real chains are a bit heavy, I think one set of chains (2 tires) comes in near 100lbs

Here is a pic of my 90 with chains on it

http://www.pbase.com/dmarchand/image/34621290

It took me 20 - 30 minutes to get them on just the front and you need to tighten them down every so often. I only put them on now for deep snow that has not been driven on, and then I can make a path for everyone else to try and get down.
Old August 27th, 2005, 12:00 PM
Rover- Girl

[QUOTE=Mike Hippert]They help a allot, but they are a pain to put on! And then you need to take them off when you hit the road and chances are they will be very dirty. All the loggers around here use chains on their trail only trucks year round. If you plan on running chains hard don't bother with the little rudd chains everyone gets, they are fine for snow and ice but if you snagg a root or rock they are done. And real chains are a bit heavy, I think one set of chains (2 tires) comes in near 100lbs

O.K., but this dude told me he had used them in mud aswell !!??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 27th, 2005, 12:29 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Yes, they do help in mud quite a bit, but anything I have seen with chains on it in the mud is trailered, there is no way I would want to remove mud covered chains without hosing them off some first, and I am not too sure I would want to drive mine on the road too far or too fast with the chains on.

To really run chains you need two sets of tires. One set that the chains are always on, and one set for road duties. It is far easier to change a tire then to put chains on, I haven't tried yet but I think it would be easier to put the cains on with the tire off.

Just think of chains as having large lugs on your tires when in mud, they dig very well and make your tire a little taller.
Old August 27th, 2005, 05:39 PM
DaveHuny
Van Der Waal
none

Here's a pic of just how stuck you can get your hick self by using chains for driving in mud:

(I have a 10,000 lb winch and Scott has a 9000 lb winch, and my truck (not braced against a tree) still got dragged a couple feet forward during the pull.)

Don't use chains in the mud unless you have friends with winches to get you out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0852.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	242.5 KB
ID:	3635   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0853.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	198.4 KB
ID:	3636  

Old August 28th, 2005, 01:29 AM
Nigel
Ted Constantine

I never use chains on my rovers as with the places we drive getting stuck is half the fun. When I lived and worked in wyoming in the mountains we ran chains on the trucks all the time unless it was completely dry. The stakes are higher when a side slip on a switchback means rolling up to four miles down a mountain. They do make a huge difference in slick conditions be it snow ice or mud. As stated they can also get you VERY stuck if you don't know what you are doing.

Ted
Old August 28th, 2005, 08:16 AM
Jase
Jase
pending

When I worked in wireless I was offroad 3-4 days a week and my chains became a good friend (no winch). I've had the truck stuck a number of times in mud and snow and adding the chains got me out of most problems. Get stuck, get dirty putting the chains on in the mud, get out and get more dirty taking the chains off. Between my offroad jaunts I had to drive on pavement so leaving chains on was not an option. After a dozen times of installing the chains you'll get good at it and it won't take long.

As Mike recommends, if you want chains be sure to get some good HD ones like Campbell Chain offers. I like the ones with V-bars.
Old August 28th, 2005, 08:47 AM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

who needs chains when you can go 3rd low and boot it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 28th, 2005, 08:29 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
They are very usefull on ice and can be OK in mud if your tires are not very good.

They can be put on in less than 3 minutes and taken off in one minute if you know what your doing. You want ones with cam-locks for ease of installation. I run them on all off road trips in the winter.

If you are already stuck in a 4WD, it won't help you out, since you are already dug in most likely.
Old August 29th, 2005, 11:30 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90
They can be put on in less than 3 minutes
What! I can baerly get them out of the back of the 90 in 3 minutes!
Old August 30th, 2005, 08:41 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hippert

That's because you run the "big-boy" trucker chains...
Old August 30th, 2005, 09:54 AM
Jase
Jase
pending

Quote:
What brand of chains do you run?
Old August 30th, 2005, 10:33 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarchand
That's because you run the "big-boy" trucker chains...
Yes, I have real chains.... With the camlocks, it is quick. I also have lots of practice. Undo camlocks, release connectors and chains drop to the ground. Very simple.

On the install, I'm always done well before non-chain users are aired down.

This is the brand Ladder style, v-bar with dual camlocks.
Old August 30th, 2005, 01:43 PM
Rover- Girl

Interesting, I never thought that you could use them offroading.
Guess that guy was right.
Old August 30th, 2005, 02:01 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
In case this comes up, always does.... If you have only 2 chains, put them on the rear. Trust me, doing the front only is very unsafe off road. There are NO advantages to putting them on the front.
Old August 30th, 2005, 02:48 PM
mhansen
Mike Hansen
97 D-90 SW #2243

Quote:
To really run chains you need two sets of tires. One set that the chains are always on, and one set for road duties. It is far easier to change a tire then to put chains on, I haven't tried yet but I think it would be easier to put the cains on with the tire off.
It would be easyer to put them on with the tire off but not that much easier. I worked in the mountains of Idaho for one winter. The company I work for does not beleave in 4X4 work trucks. We chained up every day do get to work. I got so I could chain up an F-150 in 4 min.

If you buy chains get the biggest badass ones you can find. Throw away the little rubber tentioners and use black rubber bungie straps. Attach in star pattern and pull them as tight as you can. Keep them in the cab, cold rubber does not strech very good.

Kiss goodby your fender flairs and posably some body work and wheel wells. When a crosslink breaks it will beat the hell out of your truck.
Old August 31st, 2005, 03:32 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase
What brand of chains do you run?
I bought mine from BB chain, they are the ladder type with studs, the guy at BB said thats the best chains they sell and it's what all the loggers run on their rigs. go here http://www.bbchain.com/_pdf/Chains_p3.pdf mine are the ones labbled aggressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90
In case this comes up, always does.... If you have only 2 chains, put them on the rear. Trust me, doing the front only is very unsafe off road. There are NO advantages to putting them on the front.
Yeah there is! The engine keeps your hands warm when putting them on
Old August 31st, 2005, 04:25 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Yeah there is! The engine keeps your hands warm when putting them on

To keep this alive. If you do get 4 chains, on the front, go with a bar stud and cross links..not sure the right terms...

Like these:

They will give more fender clearance and be better for lateral traction. Also if this is on a Rover make sure you have fully upgraded axle components. Chains equal big traction and a lot more rotating mass.

For the rear, ladder style is the easiest and best with v-bars or big bars studs like in Mike's linky. You probably should have and upgraded axle in the rear also.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat