Old November 9th, 2012, 11:08 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
I didnt think teepee creeping was allowed/acceptable. -Jeff
I think all of us have some pretty good stories about what it's like winter camping at Rausch. Probably the closest I've ever been to freezing to death, and I lived in Minnesota for almost five years

But now we can joke about it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 9th, 2012, 11:22 AM
Firemanshort
David Short
1980 Stage One 109

Registry
Jeff - If you are rocking the tent and not having to carry what you need... have you thought about simple sheets, blankets quilts, douvee's, etc....?

I love a good cozy sleeping bag but I think it you were looking dollar to dollar and factoring in the simplet comfort factor, some sheets, a couple of wool blankets and a thick comfortor would provide very nice sleeping.

They are just not the first choice for campers since that combo is a pain to pack and carry - but you (us) trailer-tent guys aren't carrying our stuff.
Sterling, VA
Old November 9th, 2012, 01:53 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
OK don't steal them all before I get a chance to buy a couple myself. haha.
Aren't those bags USED (and probably not cleaned)? I can’t see purchasing a sleeping bag knowing some dude in skivvies has already been in there for who knows how many nights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 9th, 2012, 02:43 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
Aren't those bags USED (and probably not cleaned)? I can’t see purchasing a sleeping bag knowing some dude in skivvies has already been in there for who knows how many nights.
Not sure. In the Coast Guard if an item touches skin it was either given to the member or disposed. Not sure about other services.
Old November 9th, 2012, 03:23 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Before they are DRMO'd they are cleaned.

Besides, a little dirt never hurt anyone
Old November 9th, 2012, 04:08 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
http://www.tennierindustries.com/mod...ep-system.html

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old November 9th, 2012, 04:32 PM
Maximal
Max
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
Not sure. In the Coast Guard if an item touches skin it was either given to the member or disposed. Not sure about other services.
Haha, I wish. The USMC doesn't give anything away.

The 3 piece modular bag is ok for the occasional use, but I would invest in a better bag if you plan on using it more often.
Old November 9th, 2012, 08:19 PM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firemanshort View Post
Jeff - If you are rocking the tent and not having to carry what you need... have you thought about simple sheets, blankets quilts, douvee's, etc....?

I love a good cozy sleeping bag but I think it you were looking dollar to dollar and factoring in the simplet comfort factor, some sheets, a couple of wool blankets and a thick comfortor would provide very nice sleeping.

They are just not the first choice for campers since that combo is a pain to pack and carry - but you (us) trailer-tent guys aren't carrying our stuff.
I have done the blankets/sheets thing but typically save that for when the lady comes along. You would be amazed how quickly you can run out of room in the truck/trailer when you start packing that kind of stuff!
Old November 9th, 2012, 08:56 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

Check out Butler Bags. Heavy but pretty awesome. It has three layers for different temps. I think it's rated to zero. I have one it's plenty warm and snuggley. And if you are tall it's around 84 inches long and about 36 inches wide. It's awesome !
Old January 22nd, 2013, 10:14 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
GI modular sleeping bags - they show up on eBay as surplus from time to time.

Here you go. Ridiculous price right now - they used to be $200 on surplus now they're $75 which is absolutely sick. May actually buy a couple for Christmas at this price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-pc-Modular...item5d336cd701
Figured I'd update this with the eBay username of the guy selling these, for when that link goes dead. windyman55 is his name. He sells a bunch of great stuff - used, new, lightly used, etc. - all super cheap. I can never remember his name, so at least if I put it here I won't forget it.

Jeff, did you ever buy one? Condition, etc.?
Old January 22nd, 2013, 10:17 AM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Figured I'd update this with the eBay username of the guy selling these, for when that link goes dead. windywyman55 is his name.

Jeff, did you ever buy one? Condition, etc.?
I did and so did a couple of the other NOVA guys. Overall I was very pleased with the condition of everything but haven't had a chance to use it yet. It came in a few days after my trip at the end of November but I will be going on a wheeling run in February and look forward to trying it out!
Old January 22nd, 2013, 10:40 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefhuf View Post
I did and so did a couple of the other NOVA guys. Overall I was very pleased with the condition of everything but haven't had a chance to use it yet. It came in a few days after my trip at the end of November but I will be going on a wheeling run in February and look forward to trying it out!
I bought the same one...used it at Rausch in December. Yes, I also had a tent heater going but damn this thing was WARM. I had all 3 pieces (green inner liner, black main bag, and the waterproof cover), and it sealed me in nice. I was literally sweating all night (again combination of this and the Mr. Buddy tent heater) and the other guys in our group were freezing their arses off in their tents. I'm definitely a big fan.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old January 22nd, 2013, 10:53 AM
jrose609
Jason Rose
1983 110 County 200tdi

Registry
I bought one of those "used" bags from him. I was prettu happy with the purchase. It was new, unused with the original tags still attached.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 11:13 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

why buy only 1???

http://www.govliquidation.com/auctio...&convertTo=USD
Old January 22nd, 2013, 11:13 AM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
Just as another option, if you have an REI near you, they hold "garage sales" every once in awhile and it's a good place to score great gear for cheap. I bought a Mountain Hardwear bag that's rated -15 for $20. I also scored an REI kingdom 4 (4 person) tent for $25 a few years ago.

Old January 22nd, 2013, 12:09 PM
61rover
John Crouse
'93 NAS D110 (#8) / '61 Series II

Registry
Instead of getting a 2-person bag, get 2 bags with opposing zippers. Most good bags come with that option. The two bags then zip together, but you retain the option of using them separately.

I've had a North Face bag for 20 years. Bulletproof. I've also picked up several spare bags from REI garage sales. I've bought 2-3 of their rental bags they were selling. Awesome bags for Uber cheap.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 12:51 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61rover View Post
Instead of getting a 2-person bag, get 2 bags with opposing zippers. Most good bags come with that option. The two bags then zip together, but you retain the option of using them separately.

I've had a North Face bag for 20 years. Bulletproof. I've also picked up several spare bags from REI garage sales. I've bought 2-3 of their rental bags they were selling. Awesome bags for Uber cheap.
thats great until you fart.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 12:53 PM
61rover
John Crouse
'93 NAS D110 (#8) / '61 Series II

Registry
Dutch oven......
Old January 22nd, 2013, 08:42 PM
Bmxer06pa
Doug S
2000 disco 2

I got one. It is great. It is perfect for cold weather truck camping. I slept in it in December and the only negative was getting it of it in the morning.
It does pack down to the size of small child so I wouldn't suggest using it for backpacking.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 09:24 PM
Buck71
Zach
1983 110 HCPU 200TDI

Registry
Being in the service we get those modular bags issued and I love it, but I've also done some horsetrading with my Brit brethren and fully recommend Snugpak sleeping bags...especially their elite series.

http://www.proforceequipment.com/products.php?id=4

Buck

'83 110 HCPU

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat